Rookie Readers! discussion

Book Discussions > Weetzie Bat

Comments (showing 1-10 of 10) (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Libby (new)

Libby (libbyag) | 8 comments So, who's started the book?
What do you think about it so far? Who are your favourite (and least favourite!) characters? What are you enjoying about the story and what don't you like so much? And most importantly... What are your favourite outfits so far?!?!

There will probably be some spoilers in our discussion here. You can use the HTML code (spoiler) (/spoiler) but with the arrow brackets <> <> to hide any huge spoilers, but for anyone reading this who hasn't started the book yet, beware!

(hope you don't mind me starting this discussion; i'm just very excited about this book!)

message 2: by Libby (new)

Libby (libbyag) | 8 comments I bought the book this summer. I have the 'Dangerous Angels' copy which is Weetzie Bat, Witch Baby, Cherokee Bat and the Goat Guys, Missing Angel Juan and Baby Be-Bop all in one volume. Those five books are less than 500 pages all together, so I'd recommend Dangerous Angels as it's cheaper than buying all the books separately. Anyway, onto the actual discussion!

I lovelovelove Dirk's Grandma Fifi. She is by no means the best developed character in the books, but she's such a sweet lady and I love the role she plays, almost like a fairy godmother.
But I don't really like Weetzie Bat I know, I know. She's an adorable well dressed force of nature with cute pet names for everyone. How can I not like her? She seems sweet enough, but the cultural appropriation really gets my goat. I keep on saying, "it's a different era, it's a different era," but it still really grates on me and makes the narrative a bit harder to get into. Admittedly she does say, "I'm really into Indians... They were here first and we treated them like shit." but that doesn't stop her wearing of head dresses and the 'ceremonies' that happen in later books feeling a bit off. Does anyone else have that feeling? She's an adorable character but I want more political anger!!!
As for outfits... I can't pick a favourite one! A cop out, I know, but I love the whole aesthetic. I'll think about this a bit more and decide. I have to say though, Francesca Lia Block's descriptions are my favourite part of this book. I love how dreamy and romantic everything is, how defined the aesthetic is and how well it fits my ideal of LA and California in general.

message 3: by Alice (new)

Alice S (alicewithans) I ordered it on Amazon and I'm waiting...

message 4: by Ana (new)

Ana Ruiz (annaruiz) | 47 comments Mod
I'm going to get a lot of haters, but how can anyone seriously like this? It makes me cringe with hipster overdose, because it's too forced.

message 5: by Ariana (new)

Ariana | 4 comments I thought it was ok, very short and simple though. My favorite part was all the descriptions, very nice imagery.

message 6: by Ana (new)

For all you Rookie Readers, here's something that at least helped me aprecciate the book a little bit more:

http://rookiemag.com/2012/06/francesc...

message 7: by Libby (new)

Libby (libbyag) | 8 comments Anna wrote: "I'm going to get a lot of haters, but how can anyone seriously like this? It makes me cringe with hipster overdose, because it's too forced."
Yeah, I definitely get that. I think in reading though you need a balance. This is an easy & welcome break from certain stuff I have to read for school, or classics that take a bit more effort.
I think now, when there is so much 'hipsterness' on tumblr it feels a lot worse because we're all so saturated with that imagery that FLB began in a way, so it feels forced when really it was the first thing of that style.

message 8: by Ana (new)

Libby wrote: "Anna wrote: "I'm going to get a lot of haters, but how can anyone seriously like this? It makes me cringe with hipster overdose, because it's too forced."
Yeah, I definitely get that. I think in re..."

A thought like that actually crossed my mind! While it is true that the hipster descriptions and qualities in the book all seem forced and cliché, I guess what I have the biggest problem with is the novel's style, after all Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli can also be considered as a somewhat "hipster"-like book but it's beautiful, and not annoying. However, after reading Lia Bock's interview on Rookie I came to the conclusion that a)it's on purpose to create a "fairy tale" feeling to it, which adds a bit of tolerability to it and b)the only interesting parts of the interview were the ones that Tavi wrote, so I remain in my belief that FLB didn't have a clue about writing when she did this.

message 9: by Jade (new)

Jade | 1 comments Hi! I've only just joined, and I've read Weetzie Bat before, and I loved it. Took me a while to get into it but after that I thought it was great. I really liked the imagery, and the dream-like feel to it, it reminded me of some sort of psychedelic fairy tale.

message 10: by Kathryn (last edited Nov 28, 2012 03:25PM) (new)

Kathryn (ke_schultz) | 6 comments Sorry it's taken me this long to comment! I actually loved Weetzie. I read it twice in three days! I loved the way that each line was worded. I found it beautiful, sad, strange, and funny. This is just going to be really short since we are moving on now!
Excited to read WAoVW.