Bookmarks Subscribers discussion

Any Issue - 2006 > The Road - Cormac McCarthy

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Overrated!

People went nuts over his latest novel, and I wondered the entire time I was reading what all of the hype was about. Apocalypse is upon us, grandfather and grandson try to survive, and I become more and more depressed as I turn pages. Even McCarthy's name on the cover couldn't save this one for me.

message 2: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie I agree, a great theme, but this book just didn't convey that for me. I passed it on to an English teacher who struggled with it too.

message 3: by Allie (new)

Allie I struggled with it too- partly because it was so depressing. The deeper and deeper I got into the story the more of a sense of hopelessness and dread I was feeling. It was well written but very dark and depressing.

message 4: by Barb (new)

Barb | 75 comments This is one of those books where scenes keep coming back to me. I liked it, didn't love it; I seem to be unable to forget it. Not sure if I will see the movie when it comes out, I might end up awake for a month!

message 5: by Jaime (new)

Jaime | 216 comments I have this book on my TBR shelf. People I've talked to seem to either love it or deeply dislike it. I will probably give it a try eventually. I'm just so hesitant! Are there any comparable books out there that anyone can think of to relate it to?

message 6: by Stephanie (last edited Apr 22, 2009 07:11AM) (new)

Stephanie From what I have seen, people are classifying it with the likes of 1984, Brave New World, etc.

I wasn't a fan of The Road. I got through it, but didn't really enjoy it. Make sure you are in the right mindset when you start - it is certainly not a happy read.

message 7: by Betsy (last edited Jul 05, 2009 04:48PM) (new)

Betsy (ebburtis) | 1266 comments Stephanie wrote: "Overrated!

People went nuts over his latest novel, and I wondered the entire time I was reading what all of the hype was about. Apocalypse is upon us, grandfather and grandson try to survive, an..."

Grandfather and grandson - really? I thought it was father and son. In fact I think my whole book group did too. What did I miss?

message 8: by Betsy (new)

Betsy (ebburtis) | 1266 comments I really liked it. I'm not sure what it was about his writing, but I don't think I've ever read a book before that had so much "sameness" that I still couldn't wait to turn the next page. A friend asked me, where are you in the book? How do you answer that - everyday was dark gray, raining, bleak. But somehow for me it really worked. I was moved to tears by the ending and it has stayed with me. But I've always been a sucker for hopeless and bleak books. Anyone read a Fine Balance? Another favorite!

message 9: by Quiltgranny (new)

Quiltgranny Betsy wrote: "I really liked it. I'm not sure what it was about his writing, but I don't think I've ever read a book before that had so much "sameness" that I still couldn't wait to turn the next page. A frien..."

My hubby loved this book, but I didn't. The "sameness" is what really turned me off. Yes, I see the human decency and reaching out to each other, but I just didn't care for the way it was written. And Betsy - I love Mistry's books! A Fine Balance is wonderful, but I think I like Family Matters better! Struggling and reaching out to each other (or not) is so much better when placed in a rich cultural context rather than a nothingness.

message 10: by Miriam (new)

Miriam (chkntza) Betsy wrote: "I really liked it. I'm not sure what it was about his writing, but I don't think I've ever read a book before that had so much "sameness" that I still couldn't wait to turn the next page. A frien..."

I read A Fine Balance and loved it. It was very compelling and I found myself turning the pages quickly to find out what happened next. I read it like a suspense mystery.

message 11: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Betsy wrote: "I really liked it. I'm not sure what it was about his writing, but I don't think I've ever read a book before that had so much "sameness" that I still couldn't wait to turn the next page. A frien..."

I really liked A Fine Balance.

message 12: by Miriam (new)

Miriam (chkntza) Sometimes I read books, enjoy them and can't remember the story when I move on to a new book. That really annoys me. But with A Fine Balance it was different. I can still remember the book now long after I read it. Some books are like that, they just stick to your ribs. My mom used to try to get me to eat oatmeal because she said it sticks to your ribs.

message 13: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments I like that! I think I'm going to borrow the rib sticking thing for another topic. Thanks for the inspiration Miriam.

message 14: by Betsy (new)

Betsy (ebburtis) | 1266 comments Quiltgranny wrote: "Betsy wrote: "I really liked it. I'm not sure what it was about his writing, but I don't think I've ever read a book before that had so much "sameness" that I still couldn't wait to turn the next ..."

I'd forgotten I'd read Family Matters until you mentioned it! I really liked it, looking back, but it didn't have the "stickiness" of Fine Balance for me.

message 15: by Jenn (new)

Jenn On page 80 of The Road... jury is still out. It is difficult to concentrate on the writing. I'm wondering if this is because I am used to reading long, drawn out sentences? Is my eye trained to recongnize dialogue only when quotes are used? Boring in the beginning, I perked up when the guy struck by lightening wandered in. But then he left, and I was sad again.

My husband is a big McCarthy fan, but he didn't think this one was quite up to par. He would not have recommended it to me, but of course I have to read it!

It's dark, but I do like that. I'm sick of flowery writing and happy endings. So perhaps I will end up liking this one.

message 16: by Alison (new)

Alison (alisons_bookmarks) | 2 comments I loved The Road. This was not the easiest book to read for a few reasons. The writing was unlike anything I had ever read before, and certainly took some adjustment. The entire premise of the book was so dark, and only got more gruesome and horrific as it went on. Still, I found myself completely engrossed in this book. When I wasn't reading it, I was thinking about it, and after I finished it, The Road stayed with me and haunted me for months. It has been some time since I read it, but even now, I have scenes so vividly etched into my memory, they will stay with me forever. It's rare that a book has that kind of impact. One of my favorites of all time.

message 17: by Jenn (new)

Jenn I finished it last weekend and yes, it does stay with you. I just wish there was a little more going on... the scene with the people hiding in the basement was great... but brief. I was waiting for another big moment like that but it didn't really come. I also thought the "gun talk" would turn out to be a foreshadowing of sorts with regard to the son. I was duped! :-)

On the other hand, perhaps that is the point. The circumstances are horrific without the occassional cannibalistic scenes, which just adds to the bleakness of the novel.

I enjoyed reading it and that has something to do with the style of writing, which I hear is different from his other works. It's definitely not the greatest book I've read, or even in my top 50, but worth the read for sure.