Debate discussion

36 views
Other Debates > Sex in this group

Comments Showing 1-50 of 85 (85 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by The New Maria (new)

The New Maria (emeraldmaria) | 1950 comments Should it be allowed, under what circumstances, how much will be tolerated?


message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

...


message 3: by Liz (new)

Liz keep it PG please, limit it please.


message 4: by Eric▲ (new)

Eric▲ | 716 comments what group? married people?


message 5: by Liz (new)

Liz this group "Debate".


message 6: by jeeves... (new)

jeeves... | 644 comments i agree with ally and liz... and i'm slightly confuzzed by eric... :D


message 7: by The New Maria (new)

The New Maria (emeraldmaria) | 1950 comments What did Ally say?


message 8: by Eric▲ (new)

Eric▲ | 716 comments wtf? ho can u do it using words? i so confoosed


message 9: by The New Maria (new)

The New Maria (emeraldmaria) | 1950 comments Wtf Eric? How did you get that? we are not having sex with words...


message 10: by Eric▲ (new)

Eric▲ | 716 comments 'sex in this group'
i thought i t meant 'sex in this group'
not 'discusion of wether or not we should be alowed to debate sex in this group'




message 11: by The New Maria (new)

The New Maria (emeraldmaria) | 1950 comments Oh, hahaha, oops.


message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

why even discuss it?


message 13: by The New Maria (new)

The New Maria (emeraldmaria) | 1950 comments People have different views, I think it should be allowed but only for proving points. I don't think any option should be torn away from us. That we will simply label all the sexual topics PG-13.


message 14: by jeeves... (new)

jeeves... | 644 comments ouch, eric...


message 15: by Liz (last edited Feb 19, 2009 05:10PM) (new)

Liz Eric▲ wrote: "wtf? ho can u do it using words? i so confoosed"

ok this is really not kind worded.


On another note:

Everyone, especially MAsha, I think this group should be kept PG-13 because:
1)it needs to be younger user friendly
2)Emma might be the youngest, but she certainly knows more about sex than some people who are older than her
3)I don't want anyone's parents banning this group and if it were questionable then they would have reason to
4)you can make a point without using sex as evidence
therefore it is unneccessary
5)some people say there isn't description but let me tell you; THERE IS; the very words themselves make younger readers (or even older readers) go to wikipedia or dictionary.com and type in a sexual term
6)even if topics are labeled PG-13, that will make some kids more eager to read them; if things are banned or they are told they are inapropriate, it just makes them curious, it is simply human nature
7)i don't want to be a part of a group that is concentrated in sex and is constantly talking about sex when it really isn't neccessary
8)the world around us is already so obsessed with it; turn on the TV and see scantily clad models strutting down the Victoria SEcret fashion show runway or turn to MTV's music videos or flip through the HBO TV guide; sex is everywhere, lets not encourage that
9)even if people know about the terms doesn't mean they know all the specifics
10)i'm not comfortable with using it as factual evidence and i certainly don't want to be educating people about it. i am uncomfortable with that and i think everyone needs to respect that.

These are ten good reasons to keep it PG. i think you should all read them and really consider my valid argument. I clearly feel very strongly about this and I hope everyone will please consider my opinion.


message 16: by The New Maria (new)

The New Maria (emeraldmaria) | 1950 comments 1) True, that's what PG-13 is for.
2) Who knows less than Emma does?
3) I'm a bit confused, banning whom form what?
4) Read my 1st post in Gay/Lez. I simply can't prove that point any other way.
5) We are not putting the description out there, we are not held resposnible for them searching it. We
can't be accused of anything they decide themselves.
6) Again, we can't be held responsible for that, we gave them proper warning. Nobody can ban the group for that (I mean goodreads because I assume that's what you're talking about.)
7) We are not soaked in sex or anything such. It will occasionally come up. This is a debate group though, so there will be one or two sex topics.
8) Um... I don;t think that helps your case much...
9) We are not talking about specifics.
10) Then don;t read it, you have that PG-13 warning. But don't eliminate the choices of others being able to read it and debate it.



message 17: by Liz (new)

Liz fine. do whatever you want. im just a smart person and those are some points to consider.


message 18: by The New Maria (new)

The New Maria (emeraldmaria) | 1950 comments Did you just call me stupid? I never called you stupid, never even implied it, and I don;t think you are. Don't call me stupid. That's insane! And yes I am an egoist but I am 2 1/2 (intensified) levels above the normal math system, in the highest English class for 7th graders and more emotionally mature than some college folks.


message 19: by jeeves... (new)

jeeves... | 644 comments yet you use the word "folks". >.< haha jkjk....


message 20: by The New Maria (new)

The New Maria (emeraldmaria) | 1950 comments Shut up, I talk like old "folks".


message 21: by Eric▲ (new)

Eric▲ | 716 comments sorry. l feel so stupid...



message 22: by The New Maria (new)

The New Maria (emeraldmaria) | 1950 comments Hehe, don't. I see what you meant. I am kinda offended that you think I would have started a "Let's cyber here1" group.


message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Masha wrote: "Did you just call me stupid? I never called you stupid, never even implied it, and I don;t think you are. Don't call me stupid. That's insane! And yes I am an egoist but I am 2 1/2 (intensified) le..."

no, she didn't call you stupid. she was just rather annoyed with you, as am i. debate does not need sex topics at all. and liz is right, the world is enveloped in sex; we don't need to add to it.

all in all i think it's pretty stupid to even have a topic about this. it will come up, i know, i can't change that. but why discuss how much and when? personally, i think it should almost always be kept to a minimum, especially among young teens.


message 24: by The New Maria (new)

The New Maria (emeraldmaria) | 1950 comments I however think debate can be about anything people are interested to know about, such as pornography, rape, and God's views on it. I agree about the minimum.


message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

anything people have mixed views on, not want to know about. if you want to know about something, debating isn't the best thing to do. you need valid information to hold a good debate. so do your research, first.


message 26: by The New Maria (new)

The New Maria (emeraldmaria) | 1950 comments Well this is one debate that doesn't really need research, it's mostly opinion.


message 27: by Eric▲ (new)

Eric▲ | 716 comments i didn't think that's what this was what this was. ithought it was debate 4 if we were allowed. and i thought u were against it...


message 28: by The New Maria (new)

The New Maria (emeraldmaria) | 1950 comments Oh. That's exactly what it is...

Eric, now you have me confused...


message 29: by The New Maria (new)

The New Maria (emeraldmaria) | 1950 comments Masha wrote: "Shut up, I talk like old "folks"."

It was a playful shut up.


message 30: by Eric▲ (new)

Eric▲ | 716 comments and that's why i said i don't think it's possible...


message 31: by The New Maria (new)

The New Maria (emeraldmaria) | 1950 comments What Eric??? I'm soo confused!!!!!!


message 32: by Eric▲ (new)

Eric▲ | 716 comments nvm.



message 33: by Emma the Dork (new)

Emma the Dork (cheesehead) yeah liz, who knows less about sex than me?? whatever. its kind of mandatory for some of the topics and, like i said before, there's nothing graphic or intended vulgarness.


message 34: by Liz (new)

Liz a lot of people, Emma, a lot of people.
and Masha, i did not call you stupid, not even once. I was not insulting your intelligence in any way. Eliza you were spot on. I definitely am getting pretty annoyed.

If all you guys want to make it PG 13, then do so. I know I'm fighting a losing battle. I just don't think it wise.


message 35: by Brent (new)

Brent (brentguy) | 69 comments "3)I don't want anyone's parents banning this group and if it were questionable then they would have reason to"

The chance that a parent would get a group banned is very low. After all, the only way to do that is by emailing the people who made GoodReads, and they would be busy with other things. They would pay heed of her, however.

And a parent getting a group banned because of something like that is a trek that will end before it begins.

Other than that, I completely agree with you. This is a debate group and we need to debate things that all of our generations can comfortably debate.


message 36: by Morgan (new)

Morgan  | 149 comments I agree with Liz, Brent and the other peoples that agree with them (and i'm too lazy to read all of the posts.. lol) I think that we should just drop this sex topic and go on with life....


message 37: by The New Maria (new)

The New Maria (emeraldmaria) | 1950 comments But some of us need to make a point with it.


message 38: by Morgan (new)

Morgan  | 149 comments Ok then I think you have already done that * shighs*


message 39: by The New Maria (new)

The New Maria (emeraldmaria) | 1950 comments What?

You know I have noticed something.

Republican-religious-pro life-anti sex in this group.
Democrat-atheist-pro choice-pro sex in this group.


message 40: by Morgan (last edited Feb 21, 2009 01:18PM) (new)

Morgan  | 149 comments Made your point about sex. And I'm ok with Obama...now that he is the prez.


message 41: by The New Maria (new)

The New Maria (emeraldmaria) | 1950 comments Anput isn't a word...


message 42: by Morgan (new)

Morgan  | 149 comments I'm bad a posting on my itouch sorry!!!!


message 43: by The New Maria (new)

The New Maria (emeraldmaria) | 1950 comments No problem.

You have an itouch?!?!?!


message 44: by Morgan (new)

Morgan  | 149 comments yeah don't you?? I have:
Ipod nano 4G and 8GB
Ipod touch
wish I has an I pohone like all of my friends

*crying*


message 45: by The New Maria (new)

The New Maria (emeraldmaria) | 1950 comments Well some of us middle class folks don't have enough money for those types of luxuries.


message 46: by Morgan (new)

Morgan  | 149 comments Oh.... well My friends are getting me an Iphone mabey. and the other ones are going to get me unlimited for my new phone.

Right now i have a stupied balckberry. And yeah i had to buy unlimmited for my stupied phone. Wiht my allowance!!! So good bey Juicy Couture........Oh well its almost the end of the week so i get more Allowance!!!!!!


message 47: by The New Maria (new)

The New Maria (emeraldmaria) | 1950 comments I don't get an allowance. I never asked for one, didn't really want one.

You have good friends, I would never give my friends something the=at expensive. And my blackberry is offended.


message 48: by Morgan (last edited Feb 21, 2009 01:36PM) (new)

Morgan  | 149 comments Sorry Masha's Blackberry.... Why wouldn't you give your friends something like that??? Like they all pich money in...( o they get an alowance) (o yeah of $100+ ) I don't get that much *crying*


message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

Brent wrote: ""3)I don't want anyone's parents banning this group and if it were questionable then they would have reason to"

The chance that a parent would get a group banned is very low. After all, the only w..."


no, she meant a parents saying that a person couldn't go on here, like "eliza, i don't like what that group is talking about. i don't want you to do that anymore."


message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

Masha wrote: "What?

You know I have noticed something.

Republican-religious-pro life-anti sex in this group.
Democrat-atheist-pro choice-pro sex in this group."


guess what? im a democrat, im episcopalian and go to church in sundays, and i'm arguing for minimum sex in this group!


« previous 1
back to top