The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories discussion

Is Cthulhu a boy or a girl?

Comments (showing 1-17 of 17) (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Zoran Krušvar Somehow, we all address the Great Cthulhu as a "he", but how can we be sure that Cthulhu is not "her"? Is Cthulhu's gender ever discussed in Lovecraft's books?

T.E. Interesting question. My guess is that Cthulhu is an it. From the little I know about Lovecraft's life and world view I wouldn't be suprised if he never gave it much thought.

Ur-zababa Excerpt from 'Call of Cthulhu':

"Knowing that the Thing could surely overtake the Alert until steam was fully up, he resolved on a desperate chance; and, setting the engine for full speed, ran lightning-like on deck and reversed the wheel."

So, it is 'it'. ;)

Universal No tiene género.

message 5: by Gabriel (last edited Feb 03, 2013 09:25PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gabriel Cooper When something is trying to eat you, you usually don't try to determine gender.

Zoran Krušvar Gabriel wrote: "When something is trying to eat you, you usually don't try to determine gender."

Oh, yes I do. As long as there is no chewing.

message 7: by Kip (new) - added it

Kip Interesting thought... Could Cthulhu's voluptuous figure betray "her" origins as the Earth Mother Goddess figure in ancient European cultures...

Universal No puede ser. No tiene género, insisto. Eso de la madre...no por favor.

Zoran Krušvar Uuuuu... and all those tentacles...

Universal ¿por qué es tan conflictivo imaginar algo sin género? :(

message 11: by Kip (new) - added it

Kip "Why is it so controversial imagine anything without gender? :("

I don't think it is controversial in relation to Cthulhu, in fact I'd say it's the orthodox view of Cthulhu is as a genderless alien rather than as a he or a she... a view that I'd agree with btw.

But I think Zoran makes an interesting point, it is probably more common, if and when Cthulhu is ever referred to with an impersonal pronoun that it is more likely to be referred to as a "he" rather than a "she." I'd suggest that this is probably because "he" is more often/traditionally used an a generic pronoun in many English texts than "she" is, but it is an interesting thought experiment to consider if Cthulhu has a Earth-like gender and if its gender might be indeed be female... Or if Cthulhu's gender might be considered male or female within the mythos of a Cthulhu cult. I'd argue that it seems more possible that Cthulhu might be imagined as a he or a she through the limited filter of a cultists human imagination...

Universal "...genderless alien" I agree with you Kip . Además consideremos que Lovecraft era un hombre un tanto misógino. Así que su vista del género podría ser limitante (he or she), no expansible como quisiéramos verlo.

Dimitris Nikiforos As Kip mentioned, many of us are used to refer to something as "he" if we don't know or not sure of its gender. Especially in my native language, makes more sense to think of Cthulhu as male grammar wise.
Besides that, I remember in "The Mountains of Madness" there is a thorough description of a small statue of Cthulhu that goes like: "..the image of the creature has tentacles and wings. Its wings are spread", et.c.

I myself can't think of it as male or female. It is an entity so alien literally and metaphorically that it is in no way bound in a human/Earth way of perception.

message 15: by D.L. (new) - rated it 4 stars

D.L. Christopher Kip wrote: "Proof!

http://www.gpeters.com/names/baby-nam..."

People have actually named their daughter for a creature of unspeakable evil and insanity inducing ugliness? Seems a little unfair to me - what's wrong with Ethel?

Gender has never entered my thoughts re: The Great Old Ones, from Cthulhu to Yog Sothoth via Shub Niggurath I've always assumed they were simply hideous, alien monstrosities filled with millennia old hatred for humankind. It's enough for me.

Zoran Krušvar D.L. wrote: "I've always assumed they were simply hideous, alien monstrosities filled with millennia old hatred for humankind"

So, you are saying, girls without makeup on PMS?

message 17: by Kip (new) - added it

Kip So, you are saying, girls without makeup on PMS?"

I think you've cracked it