Goodreads Status Update Writing Contest discussion

Feedback & Discussion > Posting on Twitter vs. Goodreads

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karey (new)

Karey (kareyshane) What are the advantages to posting updates on Twitter versus here at Goodreads? Should we stick with just one or the other to avoid confusion? If you've addressed this topic elsewhere, I apologize for missing it. Thanks!

message 2: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jessicareading) | 34 comments Mod
We're giving people the option because some may be more familiar/comfortable with the Twitter interface for posting a series of status updates. Twitter's raison d'etre is status updates, so the method of posting is pretty straightforward. In contrast, the Goodreads homepage is multi-functional, and people are still learning to use the page number/status updates feature as one of the many features available.

Feel free to use either space for telling your story! You could post in both places, if you are so inclined, but I would suggest un-synching your Goodreads and Twitter feeds to avoid overlap.

message 3: by Karey (new)

Karey (kareyshane) Thanks, Jessica. Where does the overlap happen? If I update here does it go to Twitter or vice versa?

message 4: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jessicareading) | 34 comments Mod
Select "my account" from the "Hi Karey" dropdown list in the top right corner. Select the "apps" tab. You can send your Goodreads status updates to Twitter. However, the number of updates per day to Twitter is now capped at 5 (recent change). So if you posted your story both on Twitter and Goodreads, 5 of your Goodreads story segments would post a second time to Twitter.

message 5: by Karey (last edited Feb 19, 2009 07:00PM) (new)

Karey (kareyshane) That makes perfect sense. Thanks for letting me know. I disabled the link. Today I was able to post 179 updates on twitter, so I must have just squeaked through--unless the 5 updates have to do with Goodreads updates linked to Twitter.