Brain Science Podcast discussion

Self Comes to Mind: Constructing the Conscious Brain
This topic is about Self Comes to Mind
2012 > BSP 90: Review of "Self Comes To Mind"

Comments (showing 1-4 of 4) (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Ginger Campbell (GingerCampbell) | 313 comments Mod
I wasn't able to interview Antonio Damasio last year like I hoped, so I decided to post a book review episode as a lead in to next month's interview with Jaak Panksepp. BSP 90 is a review of Self Comes to Mind: Constructing the Conscious Brain by Antonio Damasio.

Click here to listen

message 2: by David (new)

David Mcdivitt | 65 comments He invented many constructs and definitions. Such are more than assumptions and reflect his work and expertise. I like the ideas he expressed about self which are a good perspective, carrying forward that theme from the previous BSP episode.

message 3: by Dean (new)

Dean Horak | 4 comments I'm in the midst of reading both Damasio's "Self Comes to Mind" as well as Panksepp's "Archeology of Mind" and I'm finding a great deal of synergy between their viewpoints. Both are immensely enlightening wrt how consciousness emerges from the brain and both provide supporting viewpoints for what I've long suspected - that consciousness originates in the ancient structures within the brainstem.

Ginger Campbell (GingerCampbell) | 313 comments Mod
Dean wrote: "I'm in the midst of reading both Damasio's "Self Comes to Mind" as well as Panksepp's "Archeology of Mind" and I'm finding a great deal of synergy between their viewpoints. Both are immensely enlig..."

I agree. That is why I posted the review of Self Comes to Mind: Constructing the Conscious Brain immediately before the interview with Jaak Panksepp.