Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Lorraine's Oct. Reads

Comments (showing 1-9 of 9) (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brakedrum (last edited Nov 02, 2012 01:28PM) (new)

Brakedrum | 1203 comments Live by Night by Dennis Lehane (historical fiction)
Gangsters in Boston from 1926-1929, and in Ybor, Florida 1929-1933, in Cuba 1933-1935.
A local hood rises to power during prohibition.
A good read, reminded me of the old James Cagney and Edgar G. Robinson movies. A stand-alone book.

Blockade Billy ( fiction/horror)
Bonus story: "Morality"
by Stephen King, Published May 2010
Got this book from a discount table awhile back.
Blockade Billy was a baseball catcher for the Titans team. He was a great baseball player, but his record has been removed from baseball history, because Billy had a dark secret.
Only King could write a baseball story with such a twist at the end.
An enjoyable read.
Morality, a short story about how far people will go for money.
This was an okay read.

Peter and the Starcatchers by Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson (fiction)
Bought this book from a discount rack at a bookstore a few years ago. I bought it because it looked interesting and I was familiar with the authors" previous works.
What a joy it was to read.
This is the prelude to Peter Pan. I found out how Peter learned to fly, how he got his name, how Peter never ages and how he meets Tinker Bell.
Book has danger and magical moments.
Recommended for ages 10 and up.
Published by Hyperion Books for Children in 2004, 451 pages
ISBN 0-7868-5445-6

I didn't read many this month. Been getting the house ready for winter. This week I washed the outside windows and screens.

message 2: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (MelodieCO) | 3198 comments Peter & the Starcatchers sounds like fun!! I have a YA book I bought last month about Tiger Lily, which I'm looking forward to reading. Have been saving it for the long Thanksgiving weekend. Figure between that and NOTORIOUS NINETEEN I'll have some good reading to look forward to!

message 3: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 1185 comments I hope to be reading Tiger Lilymyself soon. It's working it's way to the top on the library TBR.

message 4: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (Bonadie) | 6505 comments Brakedrum wrote: "
I didn't read many this month. Been getting the house ready for winter. This week I washed the outside windows and screens. ..."

Lorraine, books on CD would go very nicely with these household chores....

I'm reading Live by Night now and enjoying it.

message 5: by Brakedrum (new)

Brakedrum | 1203 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Brakedrum wrote: "
I didn't read many this month. Been getting the house ready for winter. This week I washed the outside windows and screens. ..."

Lorraine, books on CD would go very nicely with..."

Carol: I have tried listening to cds. I start doing my chore and completely shut my ears down and end up missing whole chapters. Just doesn't work for me.

message 6: by Carol/Bonadie (last edited Nov 07, 2012 05:16AM) (new)

Carol/Bonadie (Bonadie) | 6505 comments Brakedrum wrote: "
Carol: I have tried listening to cds. I start doing my chore and completely shut my ears down and end up missing whole chapters. Just doesn't work for me.
.."

I hear you, Lorraine. I wanted to say that I started with small tasks that required no conscious thought at all, like washing dishes, but the truth is that I started listening while driving or taking walks before I listened while doing chores. I guess it works for some people and others it doesn't. Just like some people can't read in a moving car and others can.

message 7: by Ann (new)

Ann (AnnRumsey) | 11177 comments I find concentrating on an audio book easy unless I am tired and just sitting, or when on the computer. Walking, driving, even while doing chores - I love the way an audio book makes the time fly by. I do agree, that doesn't work the same for everyone. I feel lucky that I can listen easily. The emotional impact of the books I listen to often sticks with me longer than with print which is easier to skim.

message 8: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3022 comments I need to give audios another try when I walk I still like listening to motivating music when I walk or exercise.
I think I have tiger lily for the nook not sure.

message 9: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 180 comments Donnajo wrote: "I need to give audios another try when I walk I still like listening to motivating music when I walk or exercise.
I think I have tiger lily for the nook not sure."

I think I'd get too easily distracted - or go to sleep! - with an audio read...