The Next Best Book Club discussion

Looking For Recommendations > Looking for Mysteries Where Murder is Not the Crime

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathryn (last edited Feb 19, 2009 09:30AM) (new)

Kathryn I love a good mystery but get a tad tired of murder being the primary crime in most that I've come across. It especially seems to disrupt an otherwise "cozy" read when, um, someone has been killed!!! I'm not necessarily looking for cozies, but just something that is not graphic and makes one ponder along with the sleuths, something that has good character development. I really enjoy Agatha Christie, and also Dorothy Sayers. I also like the Phryne Fisher series by Kerrie Greenwood. Any suggestions??? Thanks! :-)

message 2: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) Andrew Taylor! He excels at character development in fact I'd say it's his strongest point.

The Four Last Things is the first book in the Roth trilogy telling the story of a female psychopath from adulthood, teenagehood to a childhood. Each book is quite different, told by different people.

It starts with the kidnapping of a little girl in the present and then works it's way back into the life of Angel and how she became what she became.

An Air That Kills is set in the 1950's - the body of a dead baby is dug up at a building site... said to be the victim from the Victorian era, but it has larger ramifications to come in the present....

It is part of the Lydmouth series - named after the setting not the detective. It is also part love story too although that doesn't come into it quite until a few books along I believe.

He's written plenty of other books too.

message 3: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) David Baldacci's Total Control - it's been awhile since I read it, and I know it was suspenseful, but I don't think there was a murder involved. In any case, it's not a murder mystery, per se. More like a disapperance. His older stuff is terrific. At least his first 5-7 books. All great.

message 4: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ (last edited Feb 19, 2009 12:42PM) (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ (BriansGirlKate) Try the Aunt Dimity mysteries by Nancy Atherton. They aren't murder mysteries per se (there are a few ghosts) but are fun cozy light mysteries. I would though, suggest you read them in order, starting with Aunt Dimity's Death. Although each story stands alone for the main plot, the main character, her family, and the friendly little town she lives in all progress throughtout the series so it makes more sense if read in order. Of the 14 or so books, I think she only investigates someone's death once, but it wasn't a gorey bloody thing. The small town's busybody that nobody liked was found dead. I really got hooked into this series and read all 12 in about two weeks. This is my favorite cozy mystery series.

message 5: by Annette (last edited Feb 19, 2009 12:46PM) (new)

Annette | 12 comments I second the recommendation for the Aunt Dimity series. It is a wonderful, cozy mystery series. Highly enjoyable! They are very light reads but still somewhat suspenseful. I definitely didn't want to put them down because they create such a fun place to escape to.

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ (BriansGirlKate) Annette wrote: "I second the recommendation for the Aunt Dimity series. It is a wonderful, cozy mystery series. Highly enjoyable! They are very light reads but still somewhat suspenseful. I definitely didn't w..."

And the author was good enough that I was usually not able to solve it early.

message 7: by Allison (The Allure of Books) (last edited Feb 19, 2009 01:08PM) (new)

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) Try the Amelia Peabody mysteries by Elizabeth Peters, they start with Crocodile at the Sandbank. They are funny, suspensful...

one of my favorite series. I treasure them.

Some of them probably involve murder, but not all.

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ (BriansGirlKate) They are, in order:

Aunt Dimity's Death
Aunt Dimity and the Duke
Aunt Dimity's Good Deed
Aunt Dimity Digs In
Aunt Dimity's Christmas
Aunt Dimity Beats the Devil
Aunt Dimity: Detective
Aunt Dimity Takes a Holiday
Aunt Dimity: Snowbound
Aunt Dimity and the Next of Kin
Aunt Dimity and the Deep Blue Sea
Aunt Dimity Goes West
Aunt Dimity: Vampire Hunter
Aunt Dimity Slays the Dragon

message 9: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Thanks for the suggestions! Wow, that's great there are so many in the Aunt Dimity series.

message 10: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ (last edited Feb 19, 2009 01:12PM) (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ (BriansGirlKate) Kathryn wrote: "Thanks for the suggestions! Wow, that's great there are so many in the Aunt Dimity series."

The last one came out Feb 2nd. I'm waiting on the library's rush order of it and am first in line when it comes in. I've read all the others twice.

Oh, and there is a recipe at the end of each book that was baked by one of the characters in each story. My kids love the oatmeal raisin cookies.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (SusannaG) | 1736 comments Murder is not the crime in Dorothy Sayer's Gaudy Night, which is excellent.

message 12: by Liesl (new)

Liesl (LieslM) | 170 comments I always enjoyed the Mrs. Pollifax series by Dorothy Gilman.