Glens Falls (NY) Online Book Discussion Group discussion

Movies, DVDs, and Theater > W. now out at Hollywood Video

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Earl (new)

Earl (read_for_entertainment) | 375 comments W.
http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/p...
which our so-protective Republicans prevented from showing at Aviation Mall (probably), is now for rent on DVD. I was ALWAYS puzzled as to how he ever got elected, the movie didn't clear it up for me.

message 2: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckymurr) Earl-you rented it? What did you think of it?

message 3: by Earl (new)

Earl (read_for_entertainment) | 375 comments I enjoyed it. On the whole, I think it is mostly derogatory about Bush, while trying to simulate an unprejudiced stance. I took an instant dislike for the man, as candidate in his initial run, as soon as he said he wanted to 'privatize' Social Security (give it to Wall St, see how much they can steal). This was somehow not mentioned in the movie at all????

I am a registered Republican, voted for McCain.

Hollywood Video also now has a DVD for A Body Of Lies.
http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/p...

I looked at Hollywood's blurb, concluded I must have missed seeing the flick, so I rented it at the same time. Yep, it DID come to Aviation Mall and I DID already see the thing. I should have referenced it at Ebert's site, I could have used his description to find that fact out. Since my senior-memory couldn't recall the title for more than 2 weeks! But I was too lazy, and wasted $5. At least I got to view it with captions and get all the dialogue this time. If you haven't see it, it also is a very good flick.

message 4: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckymurr) Thanks Earl-my husband doesn't want me to rent W because he is afraid he may end up having some sympathetic feelings towards him...LOL!!!

message 5: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Feb 19, 2009 06:21PM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Thanks, Earl. I've added W to my Netflix queue.

I can't believe what a bargain Netflix is. And they are FAST! The DVD's seem to fly through the mail and Netflix ships out your next batch immediately. It's incredible! They notify you by email when they send the DVD's out and they notify you when they receive them back from you.

Not only that, I'm able to watch certain movies INSTANTLY by streaming them onto my computer screen. The cost is one low monthy price for both DVDs and INSTANT movies. What a bargain! And so convenient.
See the following link for prices:
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

They will answer questions by phone 24/7.
Telephone number is: 1-866-579-7112.

I'm afraid my reading is going to suffer now that I can watch all these movie so easily. But I'll try to make time for both. The thing that's going to suffer is my housework. (g)

message 6: by Earl (new)

Earl (read_for_entertainment) | 375 comments I rent very few movies, Joy. I dislike about 95% of what Hollywood puts out. I persist in 'going out' to see movies at the theater, as they appear, (and dislike half the ones I pick). The only ones I rent are the ones that didn't make it to Aviation Mall and I decided that I MIGHT like. Netflix does provide a great many titles, but I don't want most of them. I'm picky. Don't much like the old ones (40s). Don't care to see one that I liked again (for a very long time). And then there's those 25 or so current vcr tapes of tv shows I've recorded that I haven't watched yet. I concluded long ago that movies-in-the-mail is not my thing.

message 7: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Earl wrote: "I rent very few movies, Joy. I dislike about 95% of what Hollywood puts out. I persist in 'going out' to see movies at the theater, as they appear, (and dislike half the ones I pick). The only ones..."

Hi Earl - One reason I never record anything is that I never seem to feel like going back to watch it. I prefer feeling that I'm going forward and Netflix gives me that feeling. It's simply a matter of perception, I think.

As for Netflix... don't knock it till you've tried it. LOL I'm amazed at how much I like it.

You're probably right about trying to go "out" to the movies. It is a way to get oneself out of the house and into the world, so to speak.

At any rate, you may be interested in this:
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/6...

message 8: by Earl (new)

Earl (read_for_entertainment) | 375 comments When I 'record' it's by programming, I sometimes don't watch the show for 3 weeks (unless I REALLY like it - as last night's Sarah Conners, I must buy a bag of pistachios to gorge and enjoy this latest great episode).

message 9: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments I love pistachios. (g)