Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Ann's Spooky October books 2012

Comments (showing 1-7 of 7) (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (new)

Ann (AnnRumsey) | 11176 comments I found myself unsettled at times with my October books - disturbed by thoughts of a dystopian future or alternative reality, of potential terrorism or sociopathic evil. I suppose that isn't completely out of character with October, Halloween and shortened days and dark nights. My Kindle reading was on library loans, two that were not finished when out of time, and two audio books I started on print and finished by listening.
A Wanted Man
The Dog Stars
The Handmaid's Tale
The Absent One
A Minister's Ghost
Robert B. Parker's Fool Me Twice

Child, Lee A Wanted Man Finished 10/26/2012 Library print Rank 9 of 10 While a couple of times, it seemed unlikely that Reacher would be taken into confidence so quickly, and with sensitive undercover operation intelligence revealed to him as a civilian; his MP background, powers of observation and no holds barred attitude served the operation well. 

Heller, Peter The Dog Stars Finished 10/29/2012 Audio Ranked 9+ of 10 Compelling, thought provoking, insightful. How well do we know ourselves; would we devolve into a species without the humanity of civilization if as survivors, we were faced with a world where the majority of the population has succumbed to a fatal illness? Looking at this possibility from the experience of Hig and his small circle of fellow humans, an imperfect kind of family is revealing in the stark portrayal of the difficulties the cessation of life as we know it could bring.

Atwood, Margaret The Handmaid's Tale Finished 10/7/2012 Audio Rank 10 of 10 Haunting, compelling, rage inducing, thought provoking, paranoia driving, unforgettable. Reading and considering the implications in this book have changed me. I lost a complacency I didn't even realize I was feeling. Now what I will do with this knowledge is the question. Among the myriad of questions. 

Adler-Olsen, Jussi The Absent One Finished 10/18/2012 Library Print / Audio Rank 9 of 10 Carl Morck is a rebel and a detective, a cynic and a curmudgeon. These are qualities which serve him well as he seeks to avenge victims of cold cases. More was revealed about what makes Carl tick in this second book. He relentlessly pursues his suspects even in the face of losing his job, while alienating as many people as he befriends; and somewhat clumsily provides support and encouragement to his fellow disenfranchised comrades.

DePoy, Phillip A Minister's Ghost Finished 10/9/2012 Library print Rank 8+ of 10 I enjoy this series, the setting is a treasure trove of colorful characters and raw nature, a place where when it gets dark at night, it is really dark, and where folklore and superstition are just beneath the surface.

Brandman, Michael Robert B Parker's Fool Me Twice Finished 10/6/2012 Library print Rank 9 of 10 There is something comfortable and familiar about a Jesse Stone story, book or movie. Jessie's role of 'knight, in mostly-shiny-armor' provides an all too short respite and a reminder that standing up for your friends and for people who need your help is an admirable and rare thing, and a thing to be applauded.

message 2: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (MelodieCO) | 3198 comments Read THE HANDMAID'S TALE a few years ago. Agree, it's quite the powerful story.

message 3: by Brakedrum (new)

Brakedrum | 1203 comments Good month Ann.

message 4: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (SusieinKS) | 1344 comments Ann, I loved your review of Fool Me Twice. I'm enjoying the books written by Michael Brandman ;)

message 5: by LizH (new)

LizH (Liz_H) | 955 comments Ann, interesting reads, may have to add a few my ever growing list!

message 6: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (Bonadie) | 6505 comments Ann, were you picturing Tom Cruise as you read A Wanted Man, LOL?

I got the audio of The Absent One based on your mention it earlier, and am enjoying it so far. I can't wait to see what Carl and Assad get up to!

message 7: by Ann (new)

Ann (AnnRumsey) | 11176 comments I was not picturing Tom Cruise as Reacher, Carol!
Now I have to figure out how to never do that (realistically speaking, it shouldn't be hard!)
Glad you are enjoying The Absent One.
Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Ann, were you picturing Tom Cruise as you read A Wanted Man, LOL?
I got the audio of The Absent One based on your mention it earlier, and am enjoying it so far. I can't wait to see what Carl and Assad are up to..."