Glens Falls (NY) Online Book Discussion Group discussion

Movies, DVDs, and Theater > Movie: "Becoming Jane" (2007) (Re: Author, Jane Austen)

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Feb 19, 2009 02:48AM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Last night I tried my Netflix "Instant Movie" feature. I watched "Becoming Jane" as it was streamed onto my computer screen.

See the movie description at the IMDb page: ====>
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0416508/

The Instant Movie can be paused and you can look back too. However, captions are not available in this mode. So I did miss quite a few lines.

I would give this movie 3 stars out of 5. It wasn't as compelling as I would have liked it to be.

Roger Ebert, in his review says: "Jane, in any event, discovers love. And in the movie's sly construction, she also discovers a great deal of the plot of Pride and Prejudice, beginning with Mr. Lefroy as the original for Mr. Darcy."

James Berardinelli, in his review says: "The film is a semi-fictional biography of the esteemed author; although it incorporates people and events from her life, it also takes liberties with known events."

He also says: "Unfortunately, lead actress Anne Hathaway is not suited to the role. Her Jane doesn't seem like the main character in her own story. Hathaway, who is well suited to modern-day Disney fairy tales like The Princess Diaries, is pretty enough, but she lacks presence. Too often, she blends in with the scenery rather than seizing the camera's attention."

I tend to agree with Berardinelli. Anne Hathaway is beautiful in this movie, but she lacks a certain presence.

James McAvoy plays the romantic lead, Tom Lefroy. Berardinelli says: "...it's hard to view the Jane/Tom relationship as the kind of grand love affair around which a movie can be constructed." I felt that way too. In my view, there wasn't a great romantic chemistry between McAvoy and Hathaway.

McAvoy is no Cary Grant. He's no Gregory Peck.
Hathaway is no Ingrid Bergman. She's no Deborah Kerr.
Grant, Peck, Bergman and Kerr placed the bar high.

message 2: by Nina (new)

Nina | 6069 comments I,too, think the lead actress was more suited to modern fairy tales than portraying Jane Austen. I am reading a very funny book which I am recommending to anyone who needs a laugh. It's, "Two Guys Read Jane Austen." It's by Steve Chandler and Terrence N.Hill. And I also recommend reading for laughter,"An Uncommon Reader," by Alan Bennett. It is a book that reads like non-fiction but is truly fiction. You can't believe you are not there. The Queen's corgi gets away and runs into a mobile library and from there on the monarchy is in deep trouble. Another of his books that is funny, hilarious, is "The Clothes They Stood Up IN." Alan also is the author of "The History Boys," which was made into a movie. I didn't read that book but saw the movie and didn't care much for it. nina

message 3: by Nina (new)

Nina | 6069 comments Getting back to "Becoming Jane," wouldn't Emma Thompson have been a better choice? nina

message 4: by Nina (new)

Nina | 6069 comments A suggestion for anyone disallusioned with the run of not so good movies; I thought, "The Road Home," and "Riding Alone for a Thousand Miles," were two of the best movies I've ever seen. nina

message 5: by Nina (last edited Feb 21, 2009 08:27AM) (new)

Nina | 6069 comments I am now commenting on Jim's bird feeding: I would love to see a bluebird again in my lifetime. It's been years since I saw one at our place at Lake of the Ozarks. I do feed the birds and chase the squirrels away from the feeder. I love the suggestion of a hot water dog dish. I will check that out; I usually heat water in the tea kettle and pour it into the bird baths. Not always successful. We so far have cardinals, jays, cickadees and hordes of robins. They are out there digging for worms. We sometimes have thousands; they must love our open field for a meeting ground. we also on occasion have an owl and red tailed hawks. It always amazed me when we lived on the eighth floor of a condo the past few years humming birds visited my hibiscus trees. nina

message 6: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Nina wrote: "Getting back to "Becoming Jane," wouldn't Emma Thompson have been a better choice? nina"

Perhaps Emma Thompson was too old for the part.

message 7: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Nina wrote: "A suggestion for anyone disallusioned with the run of not so good movies; I thought, "The Road Home," and "Riding Alone for a Thousand Miles," were two of the best movies I've ever seen. nina"

I've made a note of those movies, Nina. I'll look for them at Netflix.

message 8: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Feb 21, 2009 09:29AM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Nina wrote: "I am reading a very funny book which I am recommending to anyone who needs a laugh. It's, "Two Guys Read Jane Austen." It's by Steve Chandler and Terrence N.Hill. And I also recommend reading for laughter,"An Uncommon Reader," by Alan Bennett. It is a book that reads like non-fiction but is truly fiction ...Another of his books that is funny, hilarious, is "The Clothes They Stood Up IN." Alan also is the author of "The History Boys," which was made into a movie... nina"

Nina, thanks for book suggestions.
I've provided links below:

Two Guys Read Jane Austen by Steve Chandler ====>Two Guys Read Jane Austen by Steve Chandler and Terrence N.Hill.
---------------------------------------------
The Uncommon Reader A Novella by Alan Bennett ====>The Uncommon Reader A Novella by Alan Bennett
The Clothes They Stood Up In by Alan Bennett ====>The Clothes They Stood Up In by Alan Bennett
The History Boys A Play by Alan Bennett ====>The History Boys A Play by Alan Bennett

message 9: by Nina (new)

Nina | 6069 comments Joy H. (of Glens Falls) wrote: "Nina wrote: "Getting back to "Becoming Jane," wouldn't Emma Thompson have been a better choice? nina"

Perhaps Emma Thompson was too old for the part."

Joy, You are right. nina