The 1700-1939 Book Club! discussion

Les Misérables
This topic is about Les Misérables
Past Group Reads > Les Misérables by Victor Hugo (Saint-Denis)

Comments (showing 1-10 of 10) (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jamie  (jaymers8413) | 738 comments Mod
This is for the discussion of Les Misérables by Victor Hugo (Saint-Denis).

message 2: by Jamie (last edited Jan 10, 2013 01:52AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Has anyone reached this section yet?

Listra (museforsaken) | 16 comments You have? Amazing. Does anybody else cry in the process?

message 4: by Joanne (new)

Joanne I started reading a free kindle version of this book. I had seen the movie and wanted to see what the book was like. So far, I haven't read much that corresponds with the movie. I wish there were some sort of study guide available that would help you understand the historical background of each chapter as you progress through the book. I have been considering buying such a guide but first I want to know if there is one on the web for free. Joanne

Listra (museforsaken) | 16 comments This may help: http://www.cliffsnotes.com/study_guid...

Please enjoy the book. The book and movie might seem very much different both in length and plot. But both are good for me, I don't mind any of them. Yet the book, as common in classics, is deeper and invites more contemplation.

So I finally am to Saint-Denis! I feel like I can see the light!

I plan on finishing this whole book by the end of the month so I can start on the next group read. How is everyone else doing?

I feel like a lot of chapters could be skipped over and you would still get the deeper meaning of the story.

Listra (museforsaken) | 16 comments Really? I think Saint-Denis is the best part of Les Miserables. Or it's just because I love the Friends of the ABC. Also Javert-Jean confrontation is indispensable. I really love that volume.

I just meant overall in the book. I think it is why some people find it intimidating. Even though I am normally against abridged versions of books I do not think anyone would miss much from reading one for this book.