UWCSEA English/Literacy Teachers & Texts discussion

Middle School > Improve our MS text lists for next year?

Comments (showing 1-5 of 5) (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by East Library (last edited Nov 01, 2012 08:17PM) (new)

East Library UWCSEA (eastlib) | 4 comments Mod
From Lizzie & Ian:

Looking for texts that fill some or all of these criteria:
-- aren't by dead white males;
-- are literary and challenging;
-- are pitched at the right level for grades 6, 7, 8;
-- present a perspective that is new and challenging;
-- are by Asian writers or by writers from non-dominant cultures;
-- are by women;
-- are set in Asia;
-- are contemporary;
-- are pre-twentieth century;
-- poetry and drama

message 2: by Lizzi (new)

Lizzi Williams | 1 comments Mod
I also think we will want to think about how the texts we have fit in with the concepts we want to teach. Angie suggested that we have a go at assigning our books levels on the workshop criteria Jerry was showing us.

message 3: by Ian (new)

Ian Tymms | 2 comments Mod
We've talked about assigning levels at East, too. It only works really for about half the students in MS as half of them are reading into adult novels anyway, but it's particularly useful for the students who most need our help with reading choices. We're thinking that the books on our Middle School multi-copy shelf would benefit from F and P labels.

message 4: by Ian (new)

Ian Tymms | 2 comments Mod
Have just been reading books by Minfong Ho. Particularly like "Rice without Rain" as a Grade 6 text. Story of a peasant girl in Thailand getting drawn into revolution. Asks some wonderful questions about power, corruption, development, gender inequities, ideology and pragmatism.

message 5: by East Library (new)

East Library UWCSEA (eastlib) | 4 comments Mod
Re assigning books levels.... I am against any overt labeling (i.e., on the outside of the books). In primary we put a sticker on the inside of the back cover for some (not all) books - and teach children to double-check the level there, if they are unable to determine by eyeballing the text whether it is a fit for them.

Putting the F&P into the catalog is useful - as you can search for books within a particular range.