The Next Best Book Club discussion

Group Read Discussions > Lonesome Dove

Comments (showing 1-34 of 34) (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (TNBBC) | 9623 comments Mod
**Remember to mark your spoilers using the html code listed in the (some html is ok) link**

message 2: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea | 112 comments Wow this book is long! I've never read a western style book before, unless you count The Gunslinger, so I hope I like it. I'm about 30 pages in. It started slow but now I'm getting into it.

message 3: by Paula (new)

Paula | 1066 comments I don't really read many westerns but I loved this book.

message 4: by Paula (new)

Paula | 1066 comments I read the others in the series also but this one was the best. : )

message 5: by Annie (new)

Annie (SmallBookBlogger) | 47 comments Love this book! It seems to have it all... Definite must read even if it "being a western" turns people off.

message 6: by Britt (new)

Britt Lovelady | 8 comments Chelsea wrote: "Wow this book is long! I've never read a western style book before, unless you count The Gunslinger, so I hope I like it. I'm about 30 pages in. It started slow but now I'm getting into it."

It's one of the longest books I've read, but definitely worth it.

message 7: by Mallory (new)

Mallory Hall (mallorydhall) Terri wrote: "Got so into this book when I first read it on a camping trip I nearly went blind cause I couldn't put it down."

I read this camping too!! Granted I was in a pop-up camper and not in a tent on the Canadian but it still made the whole experience spookier :D

message 8: by Dee (new)

Dee (hatcherdee) | 341 comments When I read the first bit of dialogue, I said to myself: "These people sound like my family." I read it many years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it.

message 9: by Jess (new)

Jess | 2 comments One of my all time favorites, and definitely the only Western I have ever read! I recently saw the miniseries and loved that as well.

message 10: by Dee (new)

Dee (hatcherdee) | 341 comments Yeah, one of the few projects where the movie lived up to the book.

message 11: by Hanne (new)

Hanne (Hanne2) I have been reading for a couple of days now (I'm about half way) and i have to say that i find this book absolutely amazing. And it just keeps getting better and better.
So for those still doubting whether they will join or not - go get that book and start reading!

I've seen the above comments on TV series. Can you guys specify which one you're talking about? I checked imdb and they listed 3 different ones.
I'd love to see whether i can get hold of them after i am done (which might be very tricky, but one can only try)

message 12: by Venuskitten (new)

Venuskitten | 26 comments I am keen to start reading Lonesome Dove.

I have not read it before and I don't like Westerns, but I have seen so many positive comments about this one that I downloaded a sample from Amazon and really enjoyed it. The writing flows, the characters are likeable and "real" and there's a lot of humour there too. I have also seen many reviews saying it's not what you would expect a Western to be.

I realise that I have only read the first few pages of a long book, but it's a good start.

message 13: by Darcy (new)

Darcy Mantai | 48 comments Read "Lonesome Dove" years ago, still a favourite.

message 14: by Lottie (new)

Lottie | 2 comments Paula wrote: "I read the others in the series also but this one was the best. : )"

message 15: by Lottie (new)

Lottie | 2 comments Lonesome Dove was my introduction to Larry M.'s great character development and--sometimes spellbinding plots as well

message 16: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 188 comments This was my first McMurtry book, and it led me to read everything else he's written. The only ones I didn't like were ones in the Berrybender series.

message 17: by Hanne (new)

Hanne (Hanne2) Finished this one yesterday, and i absolutely loved it.
I wasn't quite sure what to expect when this book was chosen. But this definitely exceeded whatever expectations i had. It's probably one of my best reads this year.

I especially was amazed with the atmosphere he manages to create. Even as a 21st century European, I felt like i knew exactly how the 19th century America looked, felt, smelled. The whole deal.

message 18: by Paula (new)

Paula | 1066 comments I read "Pretty Boy Floyd" by McMurtry and even though it was fiction, it was based on his life. I looked Floyd up after reading the book and it was pretty close. It was a good read.

message 19: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea | 112 comments I just read the part about Rosco and the farm woman...wow lol! I tried to tell my husband about it and it took a lot of explaining. This book is becoming quite a soap opera! I'm definatly more hooked into it than I thought I would be. The farm woman kind of reminds me of Renee Zellweger in "Cold Mountain."

message 20: by Sue (new)

Sue (Quispamchick) | 2 comments I will likely be the minority, but I did not like this book very much. It was recommended to me by a friend who raved about it. It just didn't work for me. The characters were interesting enough, but overall I found the story very depressing. I can deal with violence and suffering ( and this book had plenty of both), but I felt depressed at the end. What this book lacked was hope. I couldn't bring myself to read the others in the series.

message 21: by Paula (new)

Paula | 1066 comments I think what I liked best about the book Sue was the friendship between Gus and Call. They were honorable men and true friends.

There were some very sad parts but the above is what stuck with me.

I thought the other two books were even more depressing, especially the final one, Streets of Larado I believe. I hated the ending of that one.

message 22: by Dorie (new)

Dorie (DorieAnn) | 430 comments Hanne wrote: "I have been reading for a couple of days now (I'm about half way) and i have to say that i find this book absolutely amazing. And it just keeps getting better and better.
So for those still doubt..."

A little late but I wanted to respond to your query. I believe the movie referenced in the thread is the miniseries starring Robert Duvall and Tommy Lee Jones. It was outstanding.

message 23: by Lindalee (new)

Lindalee Stahlman (Lindalees) | 22 comments I can't really participate in the discussion as it has been ages since I read Lonesome Dove. I will say I liked it enough that I read all the other books that had the same characters.

message 24: by Mari (new)

Mari Mann (MariMann) | 4 comments Lonesome Dove is one of the books I can read over and over. McMurtry's characters are written with such depth and understanding that my heart breaks for them all, even as they behave in less-than-honorable but totally human ways. I say "honorable" because another commenter here said how they are honorable men but Call's treatment of Newt and Newt's mother is very much less than honorable- and I still love him. In many ways it is a sad and depressing tale but in the end, it is an uplifting view of the human spirit and will to survive.

message 25: by Tina (new)

Tina | 143 comments Finished it over the weekend. The characters did feel alive to me after spending so much time with them in the pages of the book. However, I was not a fan of the ending. Was looking for more than the author wanted to give.

message 26: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea | 112 comments I am at page 680 and I see what you mean about depressing. So much death and sadness. I was going to say it makes me thankful to live in a less violent time but in light of what happened this week- maybe our time is just as violent. Thinking about the Sugges brothers- maybe the violence of the mentally disturbed have always existed and it just looks different as the violence evolves through time and our culture.

message 27: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea | 112 comments I really ended up liking this book and am considering reading the others in the seriese. Are they as good as Lonesome Dove?

message 28: by Mallory (new)

Mallory Hall (mallorydhall) ugh, I hated the ending!! This book was one of the best I ever read but I was so mad about the sensing I rated it three stars!!

message 29: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea | 112 comments Finally finished last night. I really liked the ending...but I see a lot of people didn't. What was it that you all didn't like? Is it the sadness? I admit I like some books that are heartbreaking so maybe that's why I liked it so much.

message 30: by Mari (new)

Mari Mann (MariMann) | 4 comments Chelsea wrote: "Finally finished last night. I really liked the ending...but I see a lot of people didn't. What was it that you all didn't like? Is it the sadness? I admit I like some books that are heartbreakin..."

Hi, Chelsea~
I loved the ending of Lonesome Dove too; I think it follows perfectly from the tone and feeling of the entire book. It is heartbreaking and so human. That said, I have read the other books in the series and do not think they are as good, although that has not stopped me from repeatedly reading them! They are close to being as good, though, and I like the ones that are "prequels" to Lonesome Dove better than the ones that follow (I can't remember if there's one or two before or one or two after).
Happy Reading!
Mari

message 31: by Mallory (new)

Mallory Hall (mallorydhall) I thought the request at the end of the book was stupid. The journey was dangerous and unnecessary. I thought it was out of character for him to make it. And yeah, so sad.

message 32: by Jasmine (last edited Dec 23, 2012 11:21AM) (new)

Jasmine Schwartz (JasmineSchwartz) Chelsea wrote: "I really ended up liking this book and am considering reading the others in the seriese. Are they as good as Lonesome Dove?"

I agree that this one was the best, but if Call and McCrae captured your imagination, the entire series is fantastic and worth reading. But I'm a little biased as I think McMurtry is is one of the best American writers writing today.

message 33: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea | 112 comments I think the reason Gus sent him on that final mission was b/c he knew that especially without him, Call wouldn't be happy settling down in Montana. His request was like a gift to Call-one more adventure to give him purpose. Also, I think Gus knew he would need some time alone. I think I will have to read all the rest of these. I have become so attached to these charactes!

message 34: by Paula (new)

Paula | 1066 comments Chelsea wrote: "I think the reason Gus sent him on that final mission was b/c he knew that especially without him, Call wouldn't be happy settling down in Montana. His request was like a gift to Call-one more adve...

I think you captured it Chelsea, plus the fact, these guys were so very close and had lived in Texas most of their lives. Gus wanted to be buried in the country he loved.