Classics Without All the Class discussion

Archives > Novermber 1st is National Author's Day! Who is your favorite author?

Comments (showing 1-13 of 13) (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jeane, Book-tator (new)

Jeane (Pinkbookdragon) | 323 comments Noverber 1st is National Author's Day! Let's celebrate by saying who our favorite author is (even if you end up reading this post after November first! )

My favorite authors are:
Barbara Kingsolver
Christopher Moore
Jane Austin
Simon R. Green
and Dr. Seuss! or and one more, Shel Silverstein!

message 2: by Karena (new)

Karena (karenafagan) Hard to pick just one.

Kelley Armstrong
JD Robb
Kevin Hearne
Erin Morgenstern
Deborah Harkness
Kim Harrison
Sara Poole

message 3: by Jeane, Book-tator (new)

Jeane (Pinkbookdragon) | 323 comments Karena wrote: "Hard to pick just one.

Kelley Armstrong
JD Robb
Kevin Hearne
Erin Morgenstern
Deborah Harkness
Kim Harrison
Sara Poole"

I think you might have a thing for female urban fantasy authors Karena....

message 4: by Karena (new)

Karena (karenafagan) And Kevin Hearne. ;)

message 5: by Karena (new)

Karena (karenafagan) I was taking a break from writing, those were all I could think of off the top of my head. Also Philippa Gregory and Jeanne Kalogridis for my historical fiction. I used to read a lot of murder mysteries, but they freak me out. At least the urban fantasy stuff doesn't exist.

message 6: by Angie, Shelf-tator (new)

Angie (adowns) | 520 comments Um...Here's a start, in no particular order:

Patrick Ness
Dorothy Parker
Stieg Larsson
Sherman Alexie
Isabel Allende
Markus Zusak
Laurie Halsie Anderson
Kate Chopin
Charlotte Perkins Gilman
Jennifer Baumgardner and Amy Richards
George Martin (current fav)
Flannery O'Connor

message 7: by Kiss-koczka (new)

Kiss-koczka (kisskoczka) | 36 comments Ok so reading these lists made me realize that i like books but not authors itself. Or at least i can't write a long list, honestly i only could think of one name: Jane Austen. The last couple of years i only read more than one book from a writer if it was a series like Harry Potter which im obsessed with, or Millenium Trilogy (which was one of the best storie i've read in years) I like Philippa Gregory's book because of the era what she writes about.

message 8: by Karena (last edited Nov 02, 2012 06:19PM) (new)

Karena (karenafagan) Kiss-koczka wrote: "Ok so reading these lists made me realize that i like books but not authors itself. Or at least i can't write a long list, honestly i only could think of one name: Jane Austen. The last couple of..."

I loved Philippa Gregory's books so much I haven't watched The Other Boleyn Girl because I loved the book so much. I own it too!

Oh and for a completely mindless fun read I love Jennifer Crusie. Because she's snarky. =)

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Easy... Michael Crichton... a moment of silence...

That being said, I also enjoy Max Brooks, Mira Grant, and Frank Miller. I'm sure I could think of a few more, but this is just off the top of my head.

message 10: by Kiss-koczka (new)

Kiss-koczka (kisskoczka) | 36 comments Karen I did try to watch the movie the other Boleyn girl but I ended up skipping a lots of parts because as a movie it was boring. I read quite a few book ( historical fiction only) about the Tudors and I really liked them. Once I tried an actual study from well known historian but I could not finish it. I like my history lesson told as tale with dialogues and all.

message 11: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (nathlawless) Agatha Christie, hands down!

message 12: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Degraaf (ldegraaf) | 12 comments One of my new favorite authors is Anne Brontë, but Charles Dickens has been my favorite author since middle school when I read David Copperfield for the first time.

message 13: by Sally (new)

Sally Morral | 17 comments Diana Gabaldon
Maeve Binchy
Audrey Niffenegger
Jane Austen