Webcomic Wonderland discussion

Kawaii Not: Cute Gone Bad [With Stickers]
This topic is about Kawaii Not
Webcomic Discussions > November-Kawaii Not

Comments (showing 1-7 of 7) (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kristen | 1179 comments Discuss Kawaii Not here. Here's the link: http://www.kawaiinot.com/

Kristen | 1179 comments I started reading this last night. I read about 100 starting from the last comic and 100 starting from the first. Now I just have to read all of the ones in the middle! Here are my thoughts so far:

The art is cute(hence the name), but this comic has no substance whatsoever. That's probably the point, but I don't particularly care for it. The writing is not very good, in that the author tends to use the same jokes over and over with different cute drawings attached to them. The timing is also pretty bad. Every comic is four panels long, but most of them would work much better with one or two panels. This tends to result in two panels in the middle where there is a smiling thing just staring at you. She gets better about this later in the comic, but it still seems to happen a lot.
All of the mean things I said aside, Kawaii Not is pretty okay for what it is: cute drawings and crude jokes. The art improves over time, which I always love to see. It makes me feel like I'm growing with the artist ^-^ The sheer adorableness of the comic makes up for a lot of the flaws it has. I can read a comic and think, "That wasn't funny at all" and THEN think, "But that smiling corn is SO CUTE!".

message 3: by Kayleigh (last edited Nov 06, 2012 04:34PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kayleigh | 195 comments I felt the same way. There are a few really witty jokes, some that are mildly amusing, and the rest just leave me cold. I feel like the artist relies on her super-cute art to make up for mediocre writing most of the time, but cute only goes so far in my opinion. Yes, smiling stars and coffee cups and ears of corn are cute, but if the writing is in no way funny or interesting, I'd rather she just posted the artwork instead of feeling obligated to include some lackluster one-liner in every comic.
Honestly, my favorite comics were the ones that included some kind of social commentary ( Peas in a Pod, Puzzled Piece, Three Dimensions of Suck)or somewhat dark humor (Happy Chainsaw, I Hate Camping, Coffin Confession), and even in some of these I had problems with the timing.
I gave the comic three stars (maybe more like 2.5?) because I didn't exactly dislike it, but despite the occasional cleverness, I didn't like it that much either. However, I did find the simple, cartoony art appealing, and it was a quick, fun read despite the problems I had with it.

Mike | 1499 comments Mod
Just got through the first 100 and then randomed around a bit.

Unfortunately I found it to be a bit of a chore after a while. Totally agree with what you two have pointed out, particularly the timing. Slavishly sticking to four panels hurts this a lot. It also is completely not my type of humor (an even trying to discard that bias I don't think the jokes are very good) - I honestly don't think I so much as chuckled ONCE until I came here and clicked on a couple of Kayliegh's links (Puzzled Piece and Coffin Confession).

The art is very cute, but not impressive or captivating enough on its own to keep me interested. Just a gallery of posted art seems like it would be much better, but overall I think I'm just not the target audience.

message 5: by Kristen (last edited Nov 11, 2012 07:57PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kristen | 1179 comments I had a hard time getting through all of the archives. I found myself heaving sighs of boredom every few pages. This is not a good comic for reading in long sittings. It is probably much more enjoyable reading a few pages at a time.
One thing that I noticed about the art is that there is no sense of depth. Every once in a while I would look at a page and ask myself, "What is that supposed to be?". The flat style that she chose can make it difficult to tell what stuff is. You may have noticed that often a panel will say, "I'm a [blank]!", which I think is partially because of the issues caused by the art.

Mike | 1499 comments Mod
Same feeling here. Boredom and frustration. Every comic I was thinking "the next one has to be better, right?"

That's a great observation. I felt something was off about the art and hadn't put my finger on it. I did notice the self identification of objects, which you would think would prompt the realization that something isn't quite working with the art rather than just adding labels...

Kayleigh | 195 comments The self-identification thing irritated me--it felt like a cop-out.

I don't remember having problems identifying things, exactly, but I do feel that she could have made the art less flat and more interesting to look at. I found it cute and kind of fun in small doses, but it got old pretty fast. Honestly, the only reason I bothered to go through the entire archive is because the comic is such a quick, easy read.