The Liberal Politics & Current Events Book Club discussion

Comments (showing 1-8 of 8) (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by Naomi V (new)

Naomi V (naomi_v) | 432 comments do people just "happen" to have acid lying around their houses for other purposes? otherwise, wouldn't you think that people keep acid handy just for a situation like this? i don't find acid readily available when i'm shopping; do you? isn't that something the government could control if it wished to stop this type of attack on women? (although in India, it's 'popular' to kill errant women (usually the daughter-in-law who displeases the mother-in-law) by burning her alive in a so-called "kitchen accident." so maybe banning acid would only mitigate a particular type of attack, not the practice itself.)

message 3: by Jimmy (new)

Jimmy Here are the parents. As horrible as what they did is, I can't help feeling sorry for all involved:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-...

message 4: by Robert (new)

Robert Zwilling so maybe banning acid would only mitigate a particular type of attack, not the practice itself.)

In China where the local citizenry absolutely have no access to guns they use knives which are found in every house. They also seem to target groups of children instead of adults which means they can harm the same number of people as some one in the west using a gun could harm.

message 5: by Jimmy (new)

Jimmy Am skeptical about harming the same number of people with a knife rather that a gun.

message 6: by Robert (new)

Robert Zwilling I would say the average gun shooting in the us for no good reason that makes the news is usually less than 12.

http://www.smh.com.au/world/china-kin...

message 7: by Jimmy (new)

Jimmy I'm familiar with those stories. The point is that if the killer went in with some of the weapons available here, how many would he have killed?

message 8: by Robert (new)

Robert Zwilling I was talking about where guns are not available.
In these situations I think it is hard to say how many.
In most cases I think if a person had access to high power weapons they would not go after a group of weaker people but rather the people they really had an issue with which usually serves to limit the number of people hurt in the incident.