readers advisory for all discussion

so ask already!!! > mothers with personality disorders

Comments (showing 1-16 of 16) (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erika (new)

Erika | 10 comments I have a friend looking for books about mothers with personality disorders and if at all possible histrionic or bipolar disorder. She will read fiction or non-fiction. I know this is a pretty specific topic so any help anyone can give her would be much appreciated. Thank you!

message 2: by sanny (new)

sanny (sanshow) | 15 comments For a recent YA fiction book, there's Angelfall, although admittedly the mother's parts are overshadowed by other events.

message 3: by Erika (new)

Erika | 10 comments Thank you - we'll take whatever we can get!

message 4: by Peter (new)

message 5: by karen, future RA queen (new)

karen (karenbrissette) | 1314 comments Mod
Asta in the Wings might work, although i don't know if the mother's illness is ever given a name. she is a delusional hypochondriac who does not allow her children to leave the house, among other things, and the focus is definitely about living in the wake of their mother's illness, but i'm not sure if you need the illness to be more ..diagnosed.

message 6: by Mary (new)

Mary | 0 comments A non- fiction account by a daughter 'Rescuing Patty Hearst' is very well done. It has really nothing to do with the Hearst kidnapping but refers to the author's being locked in a cabin with her mother awaiting nuclear war. Amazing true account of manic depression, set in the mid 1970's.

message 7: by Erika (new)

Erika | 10 comments Thank you very much! I'm so glad to have a few recommendations to pass on, and Karen I think that one sounds good too whatever the diagnosis is.

message 8: by karen, future RA queen (new)

karen (karenbrissette) | 1314 comments Mod
this question is so frustrating, because i know there are some really obvious ones i am just not thinking of... i'm not finished, though, the brain is just hurricane-sluggish

message 9: by Peter (new)

Peter (peteepie) | 64 comments Psycho

Does Norman count as a mother?

message 10: by Jen (new)

Jen (missonethousandspringblossoms) | 60 comments Mommie Dearest

I haven't read this one in a loooooong time, but this was the first book that came to mind when I thinking of personality disorder profiles.

message 11: by K. (last edited Nov 03, 2012 02:12PM) (new)

K. (traditionn) There's Sickened by Julie Gregory. It's a memoir of a girl's childhood living with a mother who has Munchausen syndrome by proxy. I'm not certain if it falls quite under the realm of personality disorders your friend is looking for, but it is a disturbing read nonetheless.

message 12: by Janet (last edited Nov 03, 2012 03:34PM) (new)

Janet (Janet_Lockhart) | 27 comments Try:

The Memory Palace by Mira Bartok an autobiographical account of growing up with a mother who has schizophrenia.

Daughter of the Queen of Sheba by Jackie Leyden NPR correspondent's memoir of her manic depressive mom.

Half in Love Surviving the Legacy of Suicide and Searching for Mercy Street by Linda Gray Sexton Daughter of poet Anne Sexton details life with a brilliant but mentally unstable mother.

message 13: by peg (new)

peg (mcicutti) | 77 comments Running With Scissors by Augusten Bouroughs.

message 14: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine | 455 comments The Drama of the Gifted Child: The Search for the True Self

I don't know that it's about a particular disorder in the parents, but it's about kind of the emotional abuse and how children cope with well... crazy parents.

message 15: by Erika (new)

Erika | 10 comments Wow, thank you so much everyone! I did not expect to get near this much of a response. I'll come back and let you know what she reads but she is thrilled with all of these suggestions.

message 16: by Ellen (new)

Ellen B About a month ago, I read the novel The Rules of Survival by Nancy Werlin (not sure of the spelling of that last name). It's about a teenage boy trying to keep his two younger sisters safe while living with their unstable mother. It's YA but could probably be interesting for any age.