Reader's Ink discussion

Half Broke Horses > 1- Rating

Comments (showing 1-6 of 6) (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Julie (new)

Julie | 168 comments How did you rate the book?

message 2: by Carol (new)

Carol (cajonesdoa) | 640 comments Mod
I gave this book a 4.5. This is a book club read that I've found SO very enjoyable to read. It is a quick read, and it tells such a nice story of the hardships Lily and her family face over their lifetime. I found myself reminded of "These is my Words" another favorite book of mine, and how living on the plains and facing floods, drought, scraping by their toenails to barely make a living. Lily has a gift of working with horses, and that has been a fun part of the book as I read.

message 3: by Julie (new)

Julie | 168 comments I also did 4.5. I'm so glad you liked it! It had been on my "to-read" shelf for a long time. I absolutely loved Walls's first book.

Lily was quite a woman. I can only wish my future memoirs are half as exciting as hers!!

I will have to check out "These is my words," I haven't heard of that one.

message 4: by Alisha (new)

Alisha Rivera | 145 comments I gave it a 4. I liked the style, and the book held my attention throughout.

message 5: by Diana S (last edited Nov 05, 2012 08:29PM) (new)

Diana S I gave it 4.5 stars. I thought it was a "heck of a Wild ride"! While I was reading about Lily: She reminded me of Calamity Jane, The "Unsinkable" Molly Brown, and Annie Oakley. All remarkable frontier women, who did things their own "special" way! The first time I read this book, was with a F2F Book Club (Brown Bag Book Club). We all loved it and had lots of fun reminiscing about our favorite parts of the book. Which were many! :D We read The Glass Castle a few months later. And we all agreed that we were glad that we read this book before we read The Glass Castle. It gave us all such insight about Rose and Rex. It prepared us to handled The Glass Castle.

message 6: by Carol (last edited Dec 30, 2012 05:14PM) (new)

Carol (cajonesdoa) | 640 comments Mod
Diana: I'm currently reading The Glass Castle right now, and BOY, I'm curious why you were glad to have read the one book before the other. I absolutely love love love HBH, but I'm finding myself so angry with the parents I can hardly see straight. Sounds like you were able to forgive them, I hope I can. Don't ask me what I could do to them right now....!!!!