Books2Movies Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Closed Threads > Let's Talk Movies & Books - November 2012

Comments (showing 1-29 of 29) (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Zeljka (new)

Zeljka (ZTook) | 1998 comments Mod
What have you seen this month in cinema or at home?
What have you read this month?
What would you like to see or read soon?

Movies do not have to have anything with the books nor books have to have anything with the movies, and neither has to be recent either :)

message 2: by Margaret (new)

Margaret (PeggyNell) | 13 comments Just wanted to give a "heads up" that the cable channel Turner Classic Movies (TCM) is featuring Great Adaptations: The Greatest Books Ever Filmed every Monday and Wednesday the entire month of November - 92 movies in all. Of course, most of the movies are from the 1930s-1970s, including classics such as The Grapes Of Wrath (1940), The Great Gatsby (Robert Redford version from 1974), and The Phantom Of the Opera (1925). Each day is divided into categories starting with American Literature on November 5th. This seems like a great opportunity to watch some great films from some classic books. The entire month's schedule should be avaiable on their website: TCM.com

message 3: by Zeljka (new)

Margaret wrote: "Just wanted to give a "heads up" that the cable channel Turner Classic Movies (TCM) is featuring Great Adaptations: The Greatest Books Ever Filmed every Monday and Wednesday the entire month of Nov..."

AWESOME! Thank you very much for this info -- I'll add the link to it for those interested as I am:
http://www.tcm.com/this-month/article...

I'll try to see most or at least tape them on video in an old-fashioned manner for later viewing :)

message 4: by Zeljka (last edited Nov 02, 2012 07:09AM) (new)

Watch this, I bet flying safety videos were never before so amusing :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=...

Includes also some surprising cameo appearances ;)

message 5: by Milica (new)

Milica Chotra (milicachotra) Last night I watched The Haunting (1963), directed by Robert Wise, and adapted from Shirley Jackson's novel The Haunting of Hill House by Nelson Gidding. I first saw it when I was very little, and after hearing the audiobook narrated by Bernadette Dunne this Halloween, thought it was the right moment to revisit this masterpiece.

Though I wasn't scared this time, I highly enjoyed it. The camerawork is great, I think it's a really wonderful film. But after checking this site I feel I missed so many details, and I'm thinking about re-watching it soon. Would anyone care to join me? :)

I'd also recommend Jackson's book. I discovered this author only few months ago and was fascinated. I believe that even the people who wouldn't quite consider themselves "horror fans" can appreciate her works. Jackson initially considered herself a writer for social justice; early in her career, she wrote stories about real group-think cruelties, about racism. But that died out, as her severe agoraphobia closed in, and her marriage failed, until finally the only thing she wrote about was a world in which all people were terrible and dangerous, and complete isolation was the only safety, and even that didn’t always work. A belief in justice requires a belief in people, and this was something Jackson evidently lost as her life imploded and trapped her between her own four walls, under the weight of her fear, forever. (full text is here, contains many spoilers)

Sorry for the long post & please, do let me know if you're interested in watching the movie and/or reading Shirley Jackson together :)

message 6: by Mila (new)

Mila (MilaBrochku) Margaret wrote: "Just wanted to give a "heads up" that the cable channel Turner Classic Movies (TCM) is featuring Great Adaptations: The Greatest Books Ever Filmed every Monday and Wednesday the entire month of Nov..."

This is so appropriate :-D Thanks for the link. Even if I don't watch the movies it's fun to see the line up.

message 7: by Mila (last edited Nov 04, 2012 02:15PM) (new)

Mila (MilaBrochku) Milica wrote: "Last night I watched The Haunting (1963), directed by Robert Wise, and adapted from Shirley Jackson's novel The Haunting of Hill House by Nelson Gidding. I first saw it when I was very little, and ..."

I enjoyed reading your post and the links. I remember reading the Reader's Digest Condensed version of this book when I was a child and it really freaked me out. I would like to watch the movie too. It sounds like there is a lot more to it than I remember.

message 8: by Guy (new)

Guy I'm currently reading Heinrich Mann's Man of Straw--film version The Kaiser's Lackey. The book goes more into the politics of the time and IMO the film is funnier.

message 9: by Erik (new)

Erik Johnson (CelticWolf) | 5 comments I recently found out that the Necroscope series from author Brian Lumley is going to be brought to life by Optic Nerve F/X owner Glenn Hetrick. I picked up the first book, The Necroscope, back in 1988 and was an instant fan. I consider Lumley to be one of the greatest authors of all time in the Horror/Fantasy genre and have always wanted his Necroscope to come to life. Now I can't wait for the result. Definitely a Must read series.

message 10: by Zeljka (last edited Nov 05, 2012 05:55AM) (new)

For Star Wars and Disney fans, a bit of laugh:

http://deathstarpr.com/ :)

message 11: by Zeljka (new)

Milica wrote: "Last night I watched The Haunting (1963), directed by Robert Wise, and adapted from Shirley Jackson's novel The Haunting of Hill House by Nelson Gidding. I first saw it when I was very little, and ..."

Super post, Milice :)

message 12: by Alana (new)

Alana (alanasbooks) | 716 comments Mod
Did you follow the "What does this mean for the Galactic Empire" link? Too funny.

message 13: by Zeljka (new)

Alana wrote: "Did you follow the "What does this mean for the Galactic Empire" link? Too funny."

Haha yes I did, number 7 and 9 are my favorites :D

message 14: by Zeljka (new)

Last night I've seen Haunted. Special effects were a bit laughable, but the story was interesting. Anyway, I wasn't familiar with the film before, so was really dumbfounded on seeing Kate Beckinsale clad in mother nature clothes (is that right term?) on more than one occasion... I am not prude, nor care a bit about such stuff, but was still surprised, because I would expect then to see her fans drooling over this film but no, it is still relatively unknown to the masses :)

message 15: by Christine (new)

Christine I'm so BUMMED!!!! I just got rid of my cable (stupid college takin' all of my money). Anyone know if Hulu would show any episodes?
Margaret wrote: "Just wanted to give a "heads up" that the cable channel Turner Classic Movies (TCM) is featuring Great Adaptations: The Greatest Books Ever Filmed every Monday and Wednesday the entire month of Nov..."

message 16: by Zeljka (last edited Nov 20, 2012 10:42AM) (new)

I've just coincidentally taken a look at Kindle store, and found out that a book Touchback by Don Handfield is available for free now. It is made into the movie, Touchback (2011) with Kurt Russell, Marc Blucas and Brian Presley. Who knows, might be worth reading (and watching) someday, and anyway, why not to get it while it is free, so if you are interested and have Kindle (app), check the store :)

message 17: by Zeljka (new)

Let's have some more laugh...

http://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/ba...

:D

message 18: by Alana (new)

Zeljka wrote: "Let's have some more laugh...

http://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/ba...

:D"

You know, I've wondered about some of those things myself.... it's a wonder he's still employed ;)

message 19: by Cathy (new)

Cathy Cherbosque | 2 comments Hi! I'm a new member and love talking about literature as film. In fact, I saw the new "Anna Karenina" last night, which I'm hoping this group will begin to weigh in on, if they haven't already. I'd like to offer my take, but not sure if there is a separate thread elsewhere in the group where members are currently discussing "Anna Karenina."

message 20: by Zeljka (new)

Cathy wrote: "Hi! I'm a new member and love talking about literature as film. In fact, I saw the new "Anna Karenina" last night, which I'm hoping this group will begin to weigh in on, if they haven't already. ..."

Hello Cathy - no, there isn't one yet. I think couple of our members did read the book recently, so if you would like, you may open the thread about it in Spotlighted Reads that goes for recent adaptations, I am sure somebody would join the discussion :) I've read the book (indeed, a couple of times), but unfortunately haven't seen any adaptation so far.

Of course, that doesn't mean we won't as a club open an official book discussion if it would win some poll in the future :)

Btw, did you like the movie? Would it be worth a try? (silly question, with such casting and director ;)

message 21: by Kate (new)

Kate | 10 comments Adding what I've read and watched for the whole month would be a long list! So, I'll just give the last ones.

The book I just finished yesterday is: River's Recruit by Charlotte Abel
(I highly recommend it.)
The last movie in the theater I watched this week was Skyfall and on TV was The Campaign.

I really want to read The Life of Pi and then see that movie!

message 22: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (ttakats) I went to see the new twilight in theaters with my friends and surprisingly loved it. I also have recently watched project X, New Year's Eve and the new batman: dark knight rises? for the first time (I am currently in Ecuador and they have movies on DVD, kinda pirated but not really, before they come out on DVD in the states and its 4 movies for $5)

I have not gotten the chance to read a whole lot this month but I have read The Kite Runner and I am in the process of re-reading The Pillars of the Earth.

I really want to read Winter of the World and This Book Is Full of Spiders: Seriously, Dude, Don’t Touch It as soon as I get back to the states! :)

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Taylor wrote: "and I am in the process of re-reading The Pillars of the Earth."

I've planned to read The Pillars of the Earth and World Without End at the beginning of next year.
I loved both mini-series and am looking forward to dig a bit deeper into the lives of all those people.

Yesterday I've finally watched Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter.
I liked the idea about vampires fighting for slavery, because they were feeding on the slaves. And it made me curious about the life of Abraham Lincoln and I'll most definitely read a biography about him next year.

message 24: by Alana (new)

I haven't read any Ken Follett yet, although I really am trying to get to at least one in December. I have David Copperfield, The Brothers Karamazov, A Feast for Crows and several other smaller books on my plate though, and not sure I'll be able to get to it. So many good books!!! And they're getting longer and longer, just like movies!

message 25: by Zeljka (new)

Alana wrote: "...I have David Copperfield, The Brothers Karamazov, A Feast for Crows and several other smaller books..."

Uh quite a huge pile of books to read, even one of them would be a feat :) I planned to read Storm of the Swords. After Hobbit and Perks, of course ;)

I've read Pillars of the Earth - I wasn't quite pleased, because characters were either good or bad, no one was in between, but the story itself was great. The series was great too. Although I probably won't tackle the second book soon (as Alana said, too many other books on the shelves ;), the other series I might.

I am still waiting for Life of Pi and Cloud Atlas. Skyfall went to Croatian cinemas at the same time as everywhere else, but these two are nowhere to be seen yet :(

message 26: by Alana (new)

That's what I love about A Song of Ice and Fire series... all of the characters are so multi-dimensional, and some that you think are totally evil turn out to have another side to them, or at least understandable reasons behind their decisions, and some good ones make ghastly decisions, even though their hearts are in the right place. Curious to see how all of that works out.

Still haven't gotten to Life of Pi but I have a feeling it will be awhile, unless it ends up being a group read for one of my groups. I just have too much to get to first.

message 27: by Global (new)

Global Donnica (GlobalDonnica) Dodo wrote: "Taylor wrote: "and I am in the process of re-reading The Pillars of the Earth."

I've planned to read The Pillars of the Earth and World Without End at the beginning of next year.
I loved both mini..."

That movie was quite an interesting concept...I would love to work an ax likehe could.

message 28: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (ttakats) Dodo wrote: "Taylor wrote: "and I am in the process of re-reading The Pillars of the Earth."

I loved both mini..."

both mini-series??? they had a series for world without end?!?! I didnt even know about that!!

message 29: by Zeljka (last edited Nov 30, 2012 05:35AM) (new)

Bryce Courtenay
I've just seen - a bit late with news :( - that Bryce Courtenay passed away on November 22nd. I haven't read anything of his yet, but found the movie based on his novel, The Power of One by Bryce CourtenayThe Power of One extraordinary. I already have this book on my shelf so truly hope to start reading it soon. There were another two adaptations of his works, The Potato Factory and Jessica.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.