Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

TV/Movies/Music > Dead Like Me?

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nlydia (new)

Nlydia | 5 comments A woman that I know told me about a book she recently read called "Dead Like Me." She had indicated that Showtime had made a series of it. Apparently there was a Showtime series, but I can find no book by that title. This woman is quite sane and with a M.A. in English, so I assume she believes she giving me accurate information. Anyone aware of this book (series)?

message 2: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cookiejarprincess) I searched everywhere and didn't find a Dead Like Me book or any information that the show was based on a book at all. But, I did come across several comparisons of the DLM tv series to the book A Dirty Job by Chistopher Moore. Apparently it is very similar to the series. Perhaps this is the book she was talking about?

message 3: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cookiejarprincess) It was originally on Showtime but moved.

message 4: by Nlydia (new)

Nlydia | 5 comments I've searched and searched, but after really looking into it, I'm pretty sure she was referring to the Southern Vampire series. Since the titles all involve "Dead", it would be easy to mistate the title. Plus, they fit the Laurell Hamilton type novels that she was describing! Thanks for the input (and I'm definately going to check out the Dead Like Me series, I'm such a sucker for vampires ;-)

message 5: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 49 comments I don't think "Dead Like Me" has any vampires in it. It's about an aimless young woman who dies in a bizarre accident and becomes a grim reaper. She and the other reapers take peoples' souls out of their bodies right before death and help them move on to the next stage. It's a very dark comedy.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0348913/

message 6: by Melissa (new)

Melissa The Dead books you might be thinking of are by Charlaine Harris. They have vampires and werewolves and shape shifters in them. The books have nothing to do with the Showtime series. The tv series was only two seasons long. It recently started being shown on the SciFi channel. It was a decent series. The Charlaine Harris books are great and if you like how she rights she has several different series of books.

message 7: by Lady Ozma (new)

Lady Ozma | 454 comments Those books are getting a series of their own. Woot. Should all go well with darned writer's strike. Anyway, should be good. Unfortunately on HBO so you have to shell out the bucks for 40 minutes a week... but...

Hoping it shows up on iTunes or something here... so that I don't have to pay for HBO. I know there's still a cost that might not save me anything, but to me it is worth it.

message 8: by Krista (new)

Krista (FindYourShimmy) Dead Like Me is not about vampires, but it was a really cute show while it was on - a naive girl gets killed by a toilet seat and then becomes a ??? (can't remember the word), anyway, she picks up the souls when they die and sends them off to the great beyond. Very witty and sassy.

Never heard of books for it, though...

message 9: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 216 comments I would love it if I could find some books similar to the plot of the tv series "Dead Like Me." It was a great show on Showtime about the afterlife of a teenage girl who becomes a grim reaper.

message 10: by Erin (new)

Erin (wwwgoodreadscomgenregirl) They made a follow-up movie to the series, should be out very soon!

message 11: by Kim (new)

Kim | 53 comments Good morning, all.

I watched Dead Like Me on Showtime and then caught the reruns on SciFi.

I'm looking forward to "Dead Like Me" movie which is in post-production, according to imdb and has some of the same cast.

message 12: by Gbina (new)

Gbina | 16 comments Sweet! I didn't know they were making a movie of Dead Like Me! I loved that show. Very very good and very different. I think Pushing Daisies morphed from Dead Like Me. Similar notions...touching dead people and dead people walk amongst the living for a moment. :)

message 13: by Krista (new)

Krista (FindYourShimmy) How great that there will be a movie! I can't wait to learn more.

Heading to IMDB now.

message 14: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 216 comments I came across some interesting trivia at IMDB. Dead Like Me was inspired by the Piers Anthony novel "On A Pale Horse", but working on the notion that there are multiple Grim Reapers working the planet.

message 15: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Just put the Dead Like Me: Life After Death in my netflix que. It says it is to be released Feb 17th! LOVED this series and can't wait to see movie.

message 16: by Kim (new)

Kim | 53 comments Glad to see a release date - I hadn't looked lately, so it's nice to know it's coming soon. ("On a Pale Horse" is one of my favorite Piers Anthony books - liked that entire series quite a bit, actually.)

message 17: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jen421) | 201 comments I've been watching Dead Like Me via netflix lately, and its a pretty funny show. I'll have to check out the movie follow up.

Also, I just found out that they're not bringing Pushing Daisies back next season!!! It ends this season!!! I wanted to cry when I found that out. What will I do without my weekly installments of a girl named Chuck and The Piemaker?!?! Oh the humanity!!

message 18: by Kersey (new)

Kersey Pushing Daisies has been overlooked from the start, witty and fresh and lost in a sea of reality shows and cookie cutter dramas.
I loved this show, it saddens me to see it go, but I'm not a bit surprised.

message 19: by Pamela, Moderatrix (new)

Pamela (teacupfangirl) | 614 comments Mod
My boyfriend just bought me season 1 of Pushing Daisies, and... argh, ABC cancelled it. :( I really like Wonderfalls, so I get the feeling I'm going to love Pushing Daisies. At least I'll have two seasons of it to watch... with Firefly, I only got half a season.

message 20: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jen421) | 201 comments They always cancel the good shows, but will air crap forever.

Nichole (DirrtyH) (dirtyh) I really liked Dead Like Me (how can you not love a show with Mandy Patinkin and Jasmine Guy?), but I couldn't get into Pushing Daisies. I watched the first episode when it first started on ABC (drawn in by the fact that it was done by the same people), and it was whimsical and all, but it didn't really pull me in. But I hear nothing but great things about it, so maybe I should give it another chance.
ABC did cancel it, but I hear they're talking about continuing the series as a comic book.
Sort of like Buffy and Angel. :)

message 22: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jen421) | 201 comments I just adore Lee Pace (who plays the piemaker). The show is charming, the characters are funny, quirky, and likable, and the writing is witty. Plus, there's nothing else remotely like it on Tv. I will really miss Pushing Daisies.

message 23: by Kercelia (new)

Kercelia | 9 comments It was also disheartening to me when I heard that Pushing Daisies had been canceled. Especially when you have to wade through so much junk on TV just to find a really great show. I read on TV.com that Fox has a new series in the works to be titled, Bitches, about four lady werewolves living in the city. It was described as a Sex And The City-type show - only featuring werewolves. LOL! I'm looking forward to it.

message 24: by Lady Ozma (new)

Lady Ozma | 454 comments I am so sad about PUshing Daisies. It's so fresh and different. But I had a sneaky suspicion during hte pilot the main masses weren't going to be able to deal... the main masses (which are all the lucky ducks with nielson boxes, not those of us with taste and intelligence and did I mention taste) just don't do surreal very well. Le Sigh. I decided I would enjoy it for as long as it lasted and HOPE HOPE HOEP HOPE that it would last several seasons. *SIGH*

Now I gotta hear more about this show Bitches because it sounds freaking fantastic. Of course I am blah on the name but hey. It's a great play but I just know with critics and censors out there this show is going to come out of the gate with a mark against it with a name like that. Stupid critics and censors.

Off to check out Fox because there is NO WAY I am missing that pilot. Plus 'm going to a convention this weekend so I want to be armed with knowledge to talk talk talk this thing up!

message 25: by Katie (new)

Katie | 9 comments I loved Dead Like Me when it was on! I'm so excited for this movie!

It seems like all my favorite TV shows get canceled. *sigh* Fangirl, I am TOTALLY with you on Firefly! One of my favorite shows of all time and it only has 14 episodes and a movie.

Actually I was just reading around and apparently there might be something in the works for Pushing Daisies(another of my favorites) to get a deal like Dead Like Me did. They might do a made for TV movie to wrap up all the loose ends for us fans. *crosses fingers*

message 26: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (myasmom) | 83 comments I had no idea that had made a movie. I loved the series...thanks for the heads up.

message 27: by Lady Ozma (new)

Lady Ozma | 454 comments Ooooh I'd totally go see a Pushing Daisies movie! *SIGH*

Why do the good shows get axed and the crappy shows never go away????

message 28: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 1593 comments I was ever so upset to find out Pushing Daisies was canceled. Just when we were going to see Ned's father, too!

Hopefully, when they release the season on DVD, they'll include the unaired episodes.

Nichole (DirrtyH) (dirtyh) Has anyone bought/seen the new Dead Like Me movie?
They have the two TV seasons with the movie for sale, but it's still, like, $50 and I can't justify that right now, but I always stop and look at it and pine when I pass by it at the store...

message 30: by Melissa (new)

Melissa It's in my netflix queue listed as "Long Wait". That's the only bad part about netflix. I'll let you know if it's worth the $ when I finally see it. I LOVED the tv show so I'm REALLY looking forward to this movie.

message 31: by Katie (new)

Katie | 9 comments I rented it and unfortunately I was really disappointed. Rube isn't in the movie at all and they replaced the actress who played Daisy! George/Ellen Muth is great as always. The movie was just not up to par with the excellence of the TV show. I was sad :( Anyone else see it? Opinions?

message 32: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jen421) | 201 comments I agree Katie. I hated the new Daisy; she was terrible! I still love Mason, but it really needed Rube. The movie felt very choppy and disjointed. It was disappointing, especially since the show was so very good.

message 33: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 1593 comments New Daisy?! No Rube?!

Blasphemy.

message 34: by Lady Ozma (new)

Lady Ozma | 454 comments *SIGH*

Sounds like they couldn't get everyone. If that was the case I'd almost rather they would have just found a way to write them off. Daisy got all her peeps so she got to cross over. Rube got transferred. I dunno. anything...

*SIGH*

message 35: by Katie (new)

Katie | 9 comments Lady Ozma - That's exactly what I was thinking. They do write off Rube, but why not just do the same thing to Daisy and bring in a new character? It made no sense to me at all. She was so different from the series Daisy, it might as well have been a different person. This actress was HORRIFIC! Laura Harris(the actress who played Daisy in the series) had class, elegance, grace, and was so ridiculously beautiful. Daisy was never the most mature character but, man, she had style. This Daisy was garish, obnoxious, with no charm or beauty. It made me so sad to see the character assassination that was going on.

message 36: by Lady Ozma (new)

Lady Ozma | 454 comments That's exactly what I liked about Daisy. She had moxie. She was from the heyday of the silver screen. Sure she gave off the impression of being rather slutty, but she did it with that Marilyn Monroe air. The original actress was awesome. There's just something with the actresses of that long-gone time and this woman nailed it! She had style and grace.

To hear they weren't able to do that? URGH. I can undersatnd that espeically after so much time it can be hard. People move on. They get other gigs. Either let it be, wait for them to have an opening in their schedule, or move on. And seriously, would it have been so hard to drop in a line with George saying "Gee I miss Daisy since she crossed over" or something? Three seconds on a throw away line and the fans wouldn't go postal.

I'm crushed. *SIGH*

message 37: by Lily (new)

Lily Marie (lilyvsstar) | 1 comments Nlydia wrote: "A woman that I know told me about a book she recently read called "Dead Like Me." She had indicated that Showtime had made a series of it. Apparently there was a Showtime series, but I can find no ..."

I feel the same way. I could've swore I read a book called Dead Like Me about reapers, but I can't find it anywhere...
Does anyone know of any Grim Reaper books?

message 38: by Lady Ozma (new)

Lady Ozma | 454 comments I'd love to read books if they are anything like the DLM show! :) On a side note, I enjoyed the Calliope Reaper books. She's death's daughter and I guess one day she's gonna run Death Inc.

message 39: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 565 comments Lily wrote: "Nlydia wrote: "A woman that I know told me about a book she recently read called "Dead Like Me." She had indicated that Showtime had made a series of it. Apparently there was a Showtime series, but..."

I bought the set on Amazon. It was a great series and I was really sad that it ended so soon. It didn't seem like it was on that long. And also it must have been an unexpected cancellation because a lot of the story lines weren't wrapped up. The main heroine, I've never seen her on anything else since then and she was great. I let a bunch of people borrow it because I knew they would like it and not one of them was disappointed, in fact most of them bought the series themselves.

message 40: by Lady Ozma (new)

Lady Ozma | 454 comments Carolyn if you like that, have you seen Wonderfalls? It's by the same guy that did DLM. It was totally Foxed, but great. I have that series on DVD I loved it so much that I bought it as soon as it came out!

message 41: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 565 comments I keep hearing great things about that series but never watched it. I'll have to put it on my birthday wish list. Thanks for the recommendation Lady Ozma!

message 42: by Lady Ozma (new)

Lady Ozma | 454 comments It is short. It has the same sort of jive as DLM. But it came out the same time as Joan of Arcadia and was similar to that in storyline. The problem is that while the pilots were shot and picked up at the same time, Fox decided to hold Wonderfalls until midseason so everyone kept trying to compare it to JoA which had done super well at the start. And while JoA had that kind of "feel good" nature, Wonderfalls was way too much like DLM so the feel good nature just wasn't there.

I, for one,liked both shows. But you see which one I purchased!

message 43: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 565 comments Usually shows I love, always get cancelled. I'm like bad luck for any new show.

message 44: by Lady Ozma (new)

Lady Ozma | 454 comments Same here. :)