Webcomic Wonderland discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Webcomic Reviews > Review Contest **Contest Over**

Comments (showing 1-21 of 21) (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristen (last edited Nov 20, 2012 03:23PM) (new)

Kristen | 1179 comments This month's contest is a review contest. Write a review for either a webcomic in general or a printed volume of a webcomic. It can be something you have read before or something you haven't, but I would like the review to be new. The review must be at least 100 words. Please be sure to hide any spoilers.
Each review you write will be another chance to win the contest, so post as many as you want. Winners of this contest will get to choose one of the Webcomics of the Month for December AND GET A FREE SIGNED COPY OF Namesake, Volume 1! Post all of your reviews in this thread. The deadline for this contest is November 28.

message 2: by Kayleigh (new)

Kayleigh | 195 comments Great idea! I've been meaning to review Little Dee and The Abominable Charles Christopher for a while anyway; hopefully this will be a motivator for me.

message 3: by Mike (new)

Mike | 1499 comments Mod
Cool. :) Perfect timing too - I should have some free time opening up for review writing mid-month.

message 4: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1179 comments I altered the rules a little bit to make everything easier. If you were going to write a review, take a look at the first post again.

message 5: by Kayleigh (new)

Kayleigh | 195 comments Finally got one. Here's my Little Dee review:

Since I read the comic online and barreled through the archives in a short amount of time, I'm going to be lazy efficient and just write a single review for the entire series.

Little Dee is one of the cutest, most charming comics I've ever encountered. With a story like this, it would be easy to overdose on whimsy and stray into the realm of the saccharine, but much to my delight, that never happened—probably because Baldwin is so good at balancing the heartwarming elements and the absurd ones. The improbable and bizarre adventures experienced by Dee and her adopted family are funny and entertaining to read about without obstructing the comic’s central themes of love and family. By the same token, however, those themes never distract from the comical elements of the story either. And whatever the situation, the relationships between the characters feel very grounded and real. Ted, Vachel, Blake, and Dee deal with the same problems and challenges that every family does—with the added complication of being from different species.

message 6: by Sadie (new)

Sadie Forsythe So you want it posted here or under reviews?

Transfer Student Storm Bringer (Season #1) by GangnengyiTransfer Student:Storm Bringer

This Manhwa (Korean Manga) isn't one to be taken too seriously. It's utterly preposterous, but it will crack you up...or at least it does me. Ju Ingong has a scary face and very little else. Through almost no fault of his own he suddenly finds himself a member of the school social hierarchy. The manner of his meteoric rise is absurd and the lengths he goes to to protect his position (and the protection that comes with it) keeps me reading. There is a whole host of interesting characters, with their own agenda. In these early chapters I'm particularly fond of Don-min Ahn. The art isn't pretty, especially by Manhwa standards but it fits the rough and tumble attitude of the school. Plus, the full color is nice. Well worth reading.

message 7: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1179 comments Yes, please post your reviews here. It will make it easier for me to see who has participated.

message 8: by Kayleigh (new)

Kayleigh | 195 comments And here's a review for Kawaii Not:

This comic was very hit-and-miss for me—mostly miss, actually. There were a few strips that I found funny, but most just left me cold. I feel like the author relies on her extremely cute art make up for predominantly mediocre writing, but cute only goes so far. In order to be truly good, a comic needs to be well-written—especially a gag-a-day comic with simplistic art and no story. That quality of writing is notably absent here: most of the jokes are neither funny nor interesting, and (with a few exceptions) the timing is awful. Each comic consists of four panels, but most would work better with only one or two panels, since the jokes are almost exclusively one-liners. The result is a lot of blank space and often two or even three panels that look exactly the same.

Despite these problems, I did find the art appealing, at least in small doses. Reading through the entire archive in one sitting felt like a chore, though, and I doubt I’ll continue to follow the comic.

message 9: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1179 comments A review for Brawl in the Family

Overall, I think this was a fun gag-a-day webcomic. I didn't particularly like it at first, but over time, the comic improved. It starts off with a bunch of Kirby strips, each one the same visual gag: Kirby swallows something and he turns into something weird. Occasionally I thought they were funny, but for the most part, it just felt repetitive. As the comic goes on though, we see more characters, some that are from Super Smash Bros. Brawl and some that are not. This helped the comic immensely: the comic desperately needed some variety. The writing is still not fantastic, though. Each character seems to have his or her own gag and rarely deviants from it. Kirby swallows things, Captain Falcon says "Falcon" before everything he does, and Luigi is always overshadowed by his brother. I get it.
The art starts off pretty bad, but does get better over time. It's a very simple style, but I think it works well with the comic and the characters.
I had fun reading this comic, but that is mostly due to my being such a Nintendo fan. If you are not a fan of Nintendo, you probably won't like this comic.

message 10: by Kayleigh (last edited Nov 23, 2012 06:11PM) (new)

Kayleigh | 195 comments A review for Hark! A Vagrant:

I haven't read through the entire archive yet, but this is rapidly becoming one of my favorite comics. It's basically a gag-a-day comic (there are a few recurring characters, but no overarching storyline) that deals with a variety of subjects, including history, literature, popular culture, teen apathy, and totally random nonsense.

History and literature being two of my favorite subjects, the comics dealing with historical and literary figures and events were my favorites. Aside from being well-written and sardonically witty, I found many of them interesting and informative. Because of this comic, I was actually inspired to look up a number of historical figures--some that I'd heard of but didn't know much about, like Marcel Duchamp and Charles Babbage, and some I'd never heard of at all, like James Connolly and Tadeusz Kosciuszko (who was a total BAMF, by the way). In this way I have learned many cool new things.

I also enjoyed the "younger self" comics; they were poignant and fun.

As for the art, it's very simple and cartoony, but personally I like it. I think it suits the tone of the comic really well.

message 11: by Madeleine (new)

Madeleine Holly-Rosing (MHollyRosing) | 152 comments A Review for NEXT TOWN OVER.

Though I empathize with Erin's (writer/illustrator) dilemma of having to deal with having her first child, I miss the regular updates of this webcomic.

Two and a half chapters in, this steampunk western with a dash of supernatural is well-written and well-illustrated. Her use of pacing and her interesting panels work to highlight the complexities of the story and the characters.

Right now, we follow a strange woman who is just as handy with a gun as she is an anvil as she pursues a man with the ability to create fire at will. Why she's after him is still a mystery, but she wants him dead. And since he leaves death and chaos in his wake, you can understand why she might be after him. And I'm not certain yet, but I suspect she's risen from the dead, but what she is exactly isn't clear yet.

I guess I'll have to wait until Erin is back from maternity leave. :(

message 12: by Mike (new)

Mike | 1499 comments Mod
A review for Rice Boy:

Rice Boy is a surreal, gradually unfolding adventure about a strange world, its remarkable denizens, and a mysterious prophecy. That basic description may sound cliche, but Rice Boy fully transcends its familiar components, largely due to the amazing atmosphere Dahm establishes.

The comic has a fantastically unique, subdued feel to it. I've seen very few artists whose style alone conveys emotion, but little touches and a cohesive feel gives the art itself a sense of melancholy. Dahm isn't afraid to spend panels on simple traveling, which is done so carefully it feels natural instead of slowing things down and really lets the art shine. Add in strikingly designed characters (including the tiny, stark white, armless and legless Rice Boy himself) and incredibly imaginative settings and this is easily one of the most visually impressive comics I've ever read.

The story is quite odd at times, but has a strong, well developed core and is thoroughly engaging overall. I became invested in the characters' fates, enjoyed the twists and looked forward to discovering how everything would turn out. A little drift in focus and a couple small side things keep me from giving this full marks, but make no mistake - Rice Boy is a truly wonderful comic and well worth reading.

Rice Boy is apparently just the first webcomic Dahm has set in this world (called Overside). I will definitely be looking into the others.

(also posted in my review thread)

message 13: by Mike (last edited Nov 27, 2012 10:13AM) (new)

Mike | 1499 comments Mod
Review for I Was Kidnapped by Lesbian Pirates from Outer Space:

Meant as a affectionate parody of the over-the-top, campy (and sexist) pulp novels and comics of the 50s, Lesbian Pirates mashes common elements from that genre together and twists them up for a comedic tribute.

It manages to capture the feel of the tribute material well, including artistic touches including well used limited colors and "dotted" shading techniques. The comic is light, absurd and fully summarized in the title. To an extent it accomplishes exactly what it intends to.

The problem for me is I didn't find it all that funny. Another issue I think is that this feels like it could have actually been published in the 50s. On one hand you could call that a success, but on the other a parody needs to go beyond its target. Those pulp stories are essentially self-parodies if read today, which leaves little room for exaggeration or proper lampooning. So we end up with humor that never really gets beyond the title.

There's nothing wrong with "I Was Kidnapped by Lesbian Pirates from Outer Space" in idea nor execution, but it doesn't stand out at all either. Ok as a tribute that captures the silliness, absurdity and amusement of old pulp stories, but falls short as a parody and isn't particularly memorable.

(also posted in my review thread)

message 14: by Kayleigh (new)

Kayleigh | 195 comments A review for Lackadaisy:

I absolutely love everything about this comic. The art is gorgeous, the story captivating and fun with just enough gravitas that we remember to take the serious situations, well, seriously, and the characters are lovable and multifaceted.

Butler portrays 1920s St. Louis with incredible attention to detail—her knowledge of history and the city’s landmarks is impressive. She does occasionally take some artistic liberty with clothing and a few minor details (Viktor’s radio, for example, is wrong for the time period), but never anything that contradicts or “rewrites” history.

The pacing of the comic is excellent as well. There are a lot of characters, many of whom have complicated pasts, and the plot, while outwardly simple, takes a lot of twists and turns as well as being layered with regard to the characters and social climate. Despite all this, the story never feels crowded or rushed; events unfold in a natural and realistic way.

I rarely give five stars to a comic, but I feel that Lackadaisy deserves the highest rating possible--it truly is amazing.

message 15: by Kayleigh (new)

Kayleigh | 195 comments A review for The Abominable Charles Christopher:

I didn’t expect to like this comic. When it was chosen as one of the Webcomics of the Month for October I considered skipping it altogether—the story didn’t sound particularly interesting to me, and since we were reading two other comics that month, I had plenty of alternative reading material. But I eventually decided to give it a chance, and I’m so glad I did!

This is a truly incredible story, encompassing a wide range of characters and emotions. Although the main story is focused on Charles’ quest to protect Cedar Forest from encroaching humans (basically, the classic “man vs. nature” theme with a hero’s journey plot structure), the comic is really a mosaic of sub-plots that range from darkly funny to philosophical, from tragic to hopeful. I generally preferred the more complex, serious storylines, but the slice-of-life moments were not without their charm and appeal, and they helped to establish Cedar Forest both as a physical location and as a community.

message 16: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1179 comments Our big winner is Kayleigh! Congratulations!

message 17: by Madeleine (new)

Madeleine Holly-Rosing (MHollyRosing) | 152 comments Congrats, Kayleigh!!

message 18: by Kayleigh (new)

Kayleigh | 195 comments Thanks, guys! It'll be fun to read Namesake again--I used to follow the comic regularly but sort of lost track of it about a year ago. I'm excited to see how the print version turned out!

message 19: by Mike (new)

Mike | 1499 comments Mod
Congrats Kayleigh! Enjoy Namesake! :)

message 20: by Kayleigh (new)

Kayleigh | 195 comments Mike wrote: "Congrats Kayleigh! Enjoy Namesake! :)"

Thanks, Mike. :)

message 21: by Laura (new)

Laura Morrigan (LauraMorrigan) | 55 comments Yay! congrats! Sorry I haven't had time to participate much!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.