The Bookends discussion

NaNoWriMo: aka Lindsay Abuse

Comments (showing 1-50 of 92) (92 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Lindsay, Moderator (new)

Lindsay (ltg584) | 478 comments Mod
Let the writing begin!
After the big 30 minutes of writing time I squeezed in between dropping kids off at school, and hubby getting home from the night shift, I managed a whole 350 words! WOOT!
Feel free to give me a motivational "kick" whenever you feel like it. When my writing slows down, I'll be signing on here to get the beating I need. ;)

message 2: by Lindsay, Moderator (new)

Oh, and since I promised to give peeks to whoever helps kick me when I'm down, I will periodically put in sentences, or paragraphs from my work.

Opening line:
They won't all come back.

message 3: by Amber (new)

Amber | 25 comments 350 words in 30 minutes, that's awesome. Keep it up!

message 4: by Lindsay, Moderator (new)

Hey! That's not abuse! ;)
Thanks. I'll be sitting at around 850 for most of the day now, since son #1 will be getting home any minute. The afternoon is filled with appointments, so I'll hopefully get some more writing time in this evening. It's hard for me to write, instead of reading though. I really love my reading...

message 5: by Amber (new)

Amber | 25 comments Abuse will come when you are slacking off, right now you are off to a good start so don't screw it up later by reading. HA!

Did you ever watch the show Friends... I remember one episode were Phoebe (a vegetarian) is pregnant and craving meat, but she can't eat dead animals... so Joey (her friend and carnivore) offers to not eat meat so that she can eat the meat he would have eaten... that way no extra animals are dying.

The point I'm getting at is that I will happily make the sacrifice to read more in your stead so that no extra words are going unread because you are writing.

message 6: by Sue (new)

Sue Smith | 141 comments 350 words to start is really awesome. I think it would be hard to write in bits and pieces of time, so I also applaud your initial efforts!! If you keep up the pace, you'll be ahead of the game.

I'm with Amber .... abuse is pending!

Is your piece dystopian?

message 7: by Lindsay, Moderator (new)

Thank you Amber! Will you also write my reviews for me? lol

Keep your abuse handy, for those days when I have to work. It'll be really hard to rally the energy to think after putting in 8 hours at my mind-numbing job.

Yes, Sue, it is dystopian. I've never actually tried to write anything like this before, but it came to me in a dream. (Feel free to roll your eyes here. I know I did!) It's actually quite hard for me to not add anything paranormal, but I think it will already be too much for me to handle. I think this really needs to be about the characters, and the lengths to which they will go to survive, and to keep their loved ones safe. Not a happy happy story. Half the characters probably won't be making it to the end. I figure it's safe to tell people about it, since the likelihood of this ever being published are roughly 1 in a million.

message 8: by Sue (new)

Sue Smith | 141 comments Lindsay wrote: ", but it came to me in a dream. ....."

Well this did work for Stephanie Meyer!!!!

message 9: by Sue (new)

Sue Smith | 141 comments Lindsay wrote: "Thank you Amber! Will you also write my reviews for me? lol

Keep your abuse handy, for those days when I have to work. It'll be really hard to rally the energy to think after putting in 8 hours at..."

sounds like it will be an interesting read!!! And never say never on the publishing stuff. It's funny how life works!!

message 10: by Lindsay, Moderator (new)

I was very careful not to use the word "never". 1 in a million could still happen, right? ;)

message 11: by Tasha, Moderator (new)

Tasha | 239 comments Mod
Sounds likes you are off to a good start :)
Be positive.

message 12: by Florence (Lefty) (new)

Florence (Lefty) MacIntosh I think everyone has a book in them, but most of us do nothing about it. One must simply begin - I hear the 1st step is a doozy.

message 13: by Lindsay, Moderator (new)

I just got home from a NaNoWriMo writing group at our downtown library. It wasn't nearly as well organized as I had hoped, but at least I got in some prime writing time.
Day #1 word count: 2090!
This is officially the most I have ever written in one day. You have no idea how good it feels, but I just hope I can keep up a good pace.
The best part of today was killing off my first character. Is that morbid?

message 14: by Tasha, Moderator (new)

Tasha | 239 comments Mod
that's a huge accomplishment! Way to go!

no not morbid at all..lol..

message 15: by Daniel J. (new)

Daniel J. Nickolas (DanielJNickolas) Well if no else is going to abuse you then I guess I'll have to do it ... I always end up doing it.

A well respected female poet, whose name escapes me at the moment, wrote a poem about how the only time she ever found to write after becoming a mother was while breastfeeding her baby in the middle of the night.

If you can't find the time to write, you're probably just not looking hard enough.

message 16: by Lindsay, Moderator (new)

Awesome! Thanks Felix!

message 17: by Lindsay, Moderator (new)

Writing about my character Archie, played by Keram Malicki-Sánchez. He died in the first chapter, but now I have to tell his story about how he got there in the first place. He is currently being mauled by coyotes. Good times.

message 18: by Lindsay, Moderator (new)

Day 2: 3,117/50,000
That's 16%!! Not too shabby for two day's work. I'll try to fit in a few more words before my head hits the pillow, since tomorrow the kids will be home and my world will become much louder.
Also, tomorrow is comic con. I've never attended before, but it sounds like fun. I'll try just about anything once...

message 19: by Sue (new)

Sue Smith | 141 comments oooo .... comic con .... that sounds like fun! You are doing awesome by the way! Are you finding that have a set word count for the month helping? It seems like you're really focusing in on the task. I'm looking forward to peeking at the story!

message 20: by Lindsay, Moderator (new)

Looks like I'll have to cancel the comic con. :( And probably most of my writing time today. My bigger little boy got sick last night, and his poor little tummy is still sore. My husband was going to take all the boys to my step-son's basketball, but that's probably not the place for a sick little guy. So that means I'm home for the day. Booo!
Honestly, it's not the set word count that is keeping me going. It's that I'm being held accountable for doing it. And there is a deadline for how long I have to apply myself. lol
What worries me is that what if my story doesn't end at 50,000 words? What if I have to keep going? I'm a little worried that I won't, that I'll just lose steam after my obligation is finished.
When I have written in the past, I tend to edit while writing, and that is obviously my downfall. I can spend days/weeks/months trying to perfect one scene. Now, I'm writing with ZERO editing. It's a little liberating, but I can already see where the plot holes are, and it's absolute agony! just leaving them where they lay and moving on. We'll just have to see how this new technique works for me...

message 21: by Amber (new)

Amber | 25 comments Sorry to hear your son isn't feeling well... it's a bummer when the kids get sick. Hope he feels better soon and you get some time to write.

Since you are writing without editing this time, maybe when your 50,000 goal is reached you'll want to go back and fix the holes, which may just give you the energy to finish the story if it doesn't end at the end of Nov. Never know.

message 22: by Lindsay, Moderator (new)

My son seems to be feeling well enough to pick fights with his little brother, so I decided that he was well enough for me to write for a bit. ;)
Day 3: 4,633/50,000 = 9%
Huh. I think there was something wrong with my math yesterday. Well, that's disappointing. lol
I'll sit down for a little more writing after supper.

message 23: by Sue (new)

Sue Smith | 141 comments It will be interesting to see if just power writing through things will help you to not get bogged down in the details - or at least solve them faster ....

message 24: by Lindsay, Moderator (new)

Well, today was the day of work. And now that I'm home briefly, I'm just getting ready for my farewell party. (I don't know if I mentioned that my store is closing?) I squeezed in a couple hundred words on my break, and will hopefully get in a few more before bed, but I can guarantee that I have some making up to do tomorrow!

Sue, I'm having issues working out some of the details, and it's definitely hard not to get bogged down because of it. I keep thinking of things I want to go back and change. It is complete agony just ignoring them! Editing should be fun though. :)

message 25: by Lindsay, Moderator (new)

So, of course, I got home late last night and got absolute nothing done. I know I'll be sitting here for the next two hours, trying to make up for lost time (and trying not to get distracted by facebook).
After typing up yesterday's work, with a little bulking up, my grand total is...
Day 4: 5,642/50,000 = 11.3%

message 26: by Sue (new)

Sue Smith | 141 comments I read an interesting technique that Roald Dahl used when he wrote ... he would always stop at a point that he knew wasn't resolved (but he knew the direction he wanted to go) , so he could pick up and just go at it when he next sat down. It sounds like a reasonable idea actually. Not always easy I would imagine, but reasonable.

I think this exercise is as much of a challenge to break habits as it is to write.

And maybe you aren't supposed to write in a completely linear fashion (plot wise)!!! Maybe it's more about getting the ideas down then spending the time later to cut and patch. ??!!

Just keep at it, you're doing great!

message 27: by Lindsay, Moderator (new)

I like that idea, Sue, but it scares me to leave a scene unfinished. What if I can't get into the mood of it again?
I've tried to write in a non-linear fashion before, and I felt like I lost the movement. I find that there are scenes, though, that I write in a stronger voice, while everything in between is weak. I know that I will be rewriting, adding, removing all or most of this at a later time.
So, it's 1:30 and I have finally caught up with yesterday's missed words. Now on to today's! :)

message 28: by Lindsay, Moderator (new)

On a side note, I'm finding it an interesting challenge to write in more than one POV. It's a pet peeve of mine when I'm reading a book, if there are two or more characters and they all sound the same. So this is an interesting challenge for me.
Anyone want to share their pet peeves with me? Need to know what to avoid ;)

message 29: by Lindsay, Moderator (new)

Whew! What a whirlwind day! Wrote a little more than my "quota". Was hoping to get more done but my youngest little boy just came down with the stomach flu. Booooo! I think I may be in for a long night, and since he will probably be staying home from school tomorrow, I won't plan on getting much done besides cuddling.
Day 5: 7,361/50,000 = 14.7%

message 30: by Lindsay, Moderator (new)

I am on my third cup of tea, my fourth trip to the bathroom, second trip to my kids school, and yet only on my first page of writing. Ugh. It's gonna be one of those days.

message 31: by Tasha, Moderator (new)

Tasha | 239 comments Mod
I will let it go this time(LOL) because your little one is sick and that's priority..when he is all better no more slacking! hehe.

All kidding aside, you are doing pretty good!

message 32: by Sue (new)

Sue Smith | 141 comments It's one day ..... go with the chaos and settle in later. Sometimes it's worse when you feel buffeted in all directions and it usually sorts itself out if you go with the flow. Or the kids are in bed. !!

message 33: by Lindsay, Moderator (new)

Thanks for the encouragement guys! Keep it coming!

I persevered through the worst of it today. I can't imagine how many minutes/hours total I spent sitting in this chair staring at the screen, but I did manage to get my quota done. Thanks to my sick little boy who wanted to do nothing but nap today!

Day 6: 9,112/50,000 = 18.2%
*That means that tomorrow I will break the big 10grand! Yippee!!

message 34: by Sue (new)

Sue Smith | 141 comments That's awesome!

message 35: by Tasha, Moderator (new)

Tasha | 239 comments Mod
Yaaay, way to go!

message 36: by Lindsay, Moderator (new)

Today is being spent out of the house, and not in a good way. I spent the entire morning with my oldest at the allergist, only to find out that he is allergic to soy. And guess what... soy is in EVERYTHING! It's in bread, granola bars and everything else we feed him at lunch time. Grrrr!
Also, crazy allergic to dust mites and now we have to entirely clean out the entire house, and hermetically seal his mattress etc. Guess what I'm doing today!
I'll write later. This is WAY more important!! (Too bad, 'cause I had an exciting scene lined up for today. Maybe after the kids go to bed.)

message 37: by Tasha, Moderator (new)

Tasha | 239 comments Mod
Lindsay wrote: "Today is being spent out of the house, and not in a good way. I spent the entire morning with my oldest at the allergist, only to find out that he is allergic to soy. And guess what... soy is in EV..."

WOW! Poor thing (you and your boy)Hopefully you will have some down time in the evening if not there's always tomorrow. Good luck.

message 38: by Amber (new)

Amber | 25 comments Sorry to here about the allergy issue with your son, that's the pits. It's good you've gotten so much written so far. Hope you found some time to write, although if I'd had to take on everything you did I'd probably be to tired to do much but sleep.

message 39: by Lindsay, Moderator (new)

I promised myself that I would at least manage a milestone. And so I did, albeit a little late in the evening. 'Night all!
Day 7: 10,001/50,000 = 20%

message 40: by Lindsay, Moderator (new)

It's my turn for the illness. Isn't that the way it works when you have kids? Not my most productive day, but managed to get down to the library this evening for some serious writing time.

Day 8: 11,631/50,000 = 23%

message 41: by Amber (new)

Amber | 25 comments My youngest has a stomach bug so all plans today are canceled for a sick day *yuck* I hope you are feeling better and are typing away at those keys... if I can't get anything productive done today I hope you can.

message 42: by Sue (new)

Sue Smith | 141 comments Wow! You are making real headway on this! In spite of the prevailing sick-bug in your home! Go Lindsay!

Kids bring in an amazing amount of germs to a house. Back in the day when I had a dayhome, we were always sick.

message 43: by Lindsay, Moderator (new)

Today was a work day, so I did some writing on my breaks, but that was about it. We're all a little wiped around here. *sigh*

Day 9: 12,201/50,000 = 24%

message 44: by Lindsay, Moderator (new)

I'm kind of surprised that I got anything! done yesterday. Apparently I've got the week 2 blues. All I wanted to do was curl up with a good book.

Day 10: 13,150/50,000 = 26%

message 45: by Lindsay, Moderator (new)

I hurt my back with all that shoveling, so I've been writing in the tub. Odd?
Maybe I should set my secondary goal at finishing before Christmas...

Day 11: 14,079/50,000 = 28%

message 46: by Sue (new)

Sue Smith | 141 comments Writing in the tub sounds inspiring ..... warm, bubbly and peaceful!! Sounds like you just dug out from the storm we had last Thursday. It was nasty actually.

message 47: by Lindsay, Moderator (new)

I think you guys had it even worse than we did! Maybe that will be it for the year? Yeah. Right. Our nickname isn't "Winter-peg" for nothin'. ;)

Day 12: 14,755/50,000 = 30%

message 48: by Sue (new)

Sue Smith | 141 comments We may get some doozy storms, but we do get chinooks!! The hardest part about living here is knowing how to dress for the day! I've lived in Winter-peg and when it's winter ..... it's winter!

message 49: by Sue (new)

Sue Smith | 141 comments PS. 30% is pretty good! Now that the flu has passed through your house I expect you'll be picking up the pace! *cracks whip*

message 50: by Lindsay, Moderator (new)

lol No, if anything the pace is staying steady. My hubby was on holidays at the beginning of the months, and it allowed me to slip out to the library to get extra writing done. Now we're back to the real world, and I'm trying to be realistic with my daily goals. I don't want to get too down on myself. I keep reminding myself that this is still WAY more than I would write otherwise, and I have a pretty solid outline for where I'm heading. As long as I keep going until I'm finished, I will be extremely satisfied. :)

« previous 1