NaNoWriMo Next Steps--Writing, Publishing and Book Marketing discussion

Do You NaNoWriMo? Why or Why Not?

Comments (showing 1-17 of 17) (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gail (new)

Gail Martin (GailZMartin) | 47 comments Mod
Some people love the challenge of National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) to write 50,000 words in 30 days, and others just say "meh". Which are you, and why? And if you don't NaNo, what do you do instead?

message 2: by Tamara (new)

Tamara | 1 comments Sounds fun. Just signed up with them! I'm going to give it a try!

message 3: by Larry (new)

Larry Matthews (LarryMatthews) | 1 comments I'm already writing a novel, the third in the Dave Haggard Thriller series, due to my publisher in a couple of months. My brain is already being challenged for ideas!

message 4: by Lucinda (new)

Lucinda | 20 comments I would firstly like to thank Gail Z Martin for inviting me to this fantastic group, that I already know is going to be so helpful for this month! I only recently about a month ago found out about NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) for the first time ever, and was fascinated to know more. I have attempted already to write a novel but found the process of getting the words onto paper very tough, and since then undertaking various writing awards and contests I found that I seem to work better to a deadline. I am hoping that having NaNo with its deadline and the challenge of writing so many words a day might help to get me more I wouldn’t say motivated but rather the words down on paper. Writing haphazardly without a target or time limit seems to hinder my writing progress and so hopefully this month I might actually see some results.

Rather than continuing the novel that I was writing before I have thought up something completely new, and shall be starting a fresh from page one. In the past few weeks I have written a basic outline of the plot, characters and what ideally will go in each section of the book. The title is very important and so too is the storylines structure, as with this new work I am planning it to be the first novel in a series that continues. I have taken note of many different authors advice who have said that it is probably better to not only complete one book but have written either more than one, or have some idea of what comes next. The aim is to complete a draft (or the first part/ section of the book) this month, to then edit later on. Of course the aim is also to be published but I shall be taking it one step at a time and seeing what happens, as the goal is really just to get the ideas and thoughts down on paper.

On NaNoWriMo my username is: “EmeraldWrz” and the title of the novel is also online. I have not posted the synopsis up as yet.

message 5: by Gail (new)

Larry wrote: "I'm already writing a novel, the third in the Dave Haggard Thriller series, due to my publisher in a couple of months. My brain is already being challenged for ideas!"

Congratulations! What kind of ideas are you challenged about?

message 6: by Gail (new)

Tamara wrote: "Sounds fun. Just signed up with them! I'm going to give it a try!"

Congrats! Let's enjoy the month together!

message 7: by Gail (new)

Lucinda wrote: "I would firstly like to thank Gail Z Martin for inviting me to this fantastic group, that I already know is going to be so helpful for this month! I only recently about a month ago found out about ..."

Congratulations Lucinda! Enjoy the process, and let's talk here to keep you encouraged and think of next steps!

message 8: by Lara (new)

Lara (LaraJF) I did the camp in August, started slowly, but then got really strong, and then got distracted and tapered off. So I like the goal of writing a bunch of words a day. It's motivating.

message 9: by M.J. (last edited Nov 01, 2012 09:25AM) (new)

M.J. Webb (MJWebb) Impossible for me I'm afraid as my full time job, family commitments and marketing for my trilogy take up every spare minute I have. I will however follow the group with interest and I wish you all the very best.

message 10: by Gail (new)

Lara wrote: "I did the camp in August, started slowly, but then got really strong, and then got distracted and tapered off. So I like the goal of writing a bunch of words a day. It's motivating."

I think the trick is to do whatever makes YOU feel motivated, which will be different for different people. If you've found something, run with it!

message 11: by Gail (new)

M.J. wrote: "Impossible for me I'm afraid as my full time job, family commitments and marketing for my trilogy take up every spare minute I have. I will however follow the group with interest and I wish you all..."

MJ--for those of us with book contracts and deadlines, every month is NaNoWriMo! I feel your pain!

message 12: by Betty (new)

Betty Cross (BettyCross) | 24 comments I was going to do NaNoWriMo this year, but I find it more pressing to revise my current novel in progress.

message 13: by Gail (new)

Betty wrote: "I was going to do NaNoWriMo this year, but I find it more pressing to revise my current novel in progress."

You can always do your own personal NaNoWriMo by challenging yourself to get 50K words done on your revision this month! ;)

message 14: by Betty (new)

Betty Cross (BettyCross) | 24 comments Gail wrote: "You can always do your own personal NaNoWriMo by challenging yourself to get 50K words done on your revision this month! ;) "
Good idea, Gail. I intend to do that.

message 15: by Alice (new)

Alice Sabo (Alice_Sabo) | 1 comments No NaNo for me. I'm juggling 2 rewrites. While I had one novel out to beta readers in October, I started the rewrite on a problem story that I really like. Now I've got the feedback from my betas and the bones of the problem story to deal with. So I will be trying to produce a lot of writing this month, just not so targeted.

message 16: by Gail (new)

Alice wrote: "No NaNo for me. I'm juggling 2 rewrites. While I had one novel out to beta readers in October, I started the rewrite on a problem story that I really like. Now I've got the feedback from my betas a..."

Hi Alice--that's great! If the NaNoWriMo model works for you, use it for inspiration. If not, follow your own muse!

message 17: by Betty (new)

Betty Cross (BettyCross) | 24 comments There's really no reason why you can't do a personal NaNoWriMo in any month of the year, I find November gets interrupted by holiday shopping, holiday visiting, holiday cooking, etcetera.