Obsession: Christopher Pike discussion

Do you think Christopher Pike was a real person or a pen name for many different writers?

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erin (new)

Erin Beckstead | 9 comments Some times I wonder if Christopher Pike was really a man or one person at all. I would be surprised if different Pulp Fiction novelists were paid to write books under his name....

message 2: by Megan (new)

Megan (missmegankay) | 4 comments Mod
I'd say it's a pen name... Can't imagine it's a real name; although when I google it, I only get the guy from Star Trek.

message 3: by DaNonne (new)

DaNonne graham | 1 comments Christopher Pike is the pseudonym of Kevin McFadden (born November, 1954), an American writer. He is a bestselling author of young adult and children's fiction who specializes in the thriller genre.

McFadden was born in New York but grew up in California where he stills lives in today. A college drop-out, he did factory work, painted houses and programmed computers before becoming a recognized author. Initially unsuccessful when he set out to write science fiction and adult mystery, it was not until his work caught the attention of an editor who suggested he write a teen thriller that he became a hit. The result was Slumber Party (1985), a book about a group of teenagers who run into bizarre and violent events during a ski weekend. After that he wrote Weekend and Chain Letter. All three books went on to become bestsellers.

His other well-known works include The Last Vampire (a series of six books), Remember Me (a trilogy), The Lost Mind, Witch, Whisper Of Death, Bury Me Deep, Tachyon Web, and Fall into Darkness. The last three titles have also been released on audio. In 1996, Fall into Darkness was made into a television movie directed by Mark Sobel. It starred Tatyana Ali as Sharon and Jonathan Brandis as Chad.

McFadden is also the author of the popular children's series Spooksville and several adult novels: Sati, The Season of Passage, The Listeners, Alosha, The Cold One, The Blind Mirror and Falling.

Although his books are best known for being thrillers, they are often more focused on aspects of science fiction, spirituality, and whodunit. References to Egyptian, Greek and Hindu mythology are also common in his stories.

In the end, McFadden is a highly private person, and what is known about him is gathered from his books and a very few interviews.

message 4: by Megan (new)

Megan (missmegankay) | 4 comments Mod
Thanks for the update DaNonne! That's good info!

message 5: by Erica (last edited Jul 30, 2009 08:57PM) (new)

Erica Leigh (iamericaleigh) | 3 comments i googled him before too. i always wondered what he's like in real life. i mean, he seems like he'd be creepy or something.

message 6: by Justina (new)

Justina (librarian_stina) | 12 comments I agree... he does seem like he would be creepy, but I still LOVE his work!

message 7: by Justina (new)

Justina (librarian_stina) | 12 comments troubled childhood?

message 8: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (alwayslissa) | 15 comments He's actually pretty awesome.
I mean I never met him in person but I've talked to him online (he's talked to several fans via AIM before) and he's really nice. Sometimes in quite a hurry (usually writing) but very nice.

message 9: by Justina (new)

Justina (librarian_stina) | 12 comments oh my gosh, I'm so jealous!

message 10: by James (new)

James (redvelveteyes) | 8 comments Does anyone have a picture of him? :D

message 11: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (alwayslissa) | 15 comments http://i46.tinypic.com/2aionbm.jpg

This is him. I'm not sure when the picture was taken but it was on a dust jacket once.

message 12: by James (new)

James (redvelveteyes) | 8 comments Oooohhhh.. Finally his awesomeness has a face. :D

I pictured him, I dunno, more psycho looking though. :D

message 13: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (alwayslissa) | 15 comments Like Dean Koontz?

message 14: by James (new)

James (redvelveteyes) | 8 comments Kind of.. But with longer hair.. and not as old. :D

message 15: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (alwayslissa) | 15 comments I'm not sure how old Koontz. But Pike is in his 50's :D

message 16: by James (new)

James (redvelveteyes) | 8 comments Koontz is over 60, I think. So Pike is younger.. Yay. :D

I still think of him as Marvin Summers with long hair, though. He will always be that way to me. :))

message 17: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (alwayslissa) | 15 comments I have to agree with that statement!