The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) The Hunger Games discussion

Oh, Hunger Games. Why?

Comments (showing 1-31 of 31) (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Erin So, I was part of the original crowd that read the books a few years ago, as opposed to a few months ago, and while I think the support of that many fans is great-the increased amount of people fawning over this book series like it's the "new thing" has driven me to hate any mention of it in the "omigodlikepeetaissohotsoisgale" category. Any thoughts on this fangirling and fawning? (And yes, they are perfectly allowed to fangirl/fawn-just not to me.)

Tiffany I completely agree. I hate those people who have just read the trilogy now and think they are some big HG fan!! I hate people who think the whole story is about the romance between katniss, peeta, and gale. This book has so much more to it than that. I too am part of the people who read this when it first came out and have always been a fan so all these people who only started reading the series after they heard of the movie really irritate me. I only wish that people could realize they aren't real fans if they only watched the movie! >:[

Erin Exactly! I feel that the only thing people focus on is the love triangle (sounds like Twilight) and not the actual themes of the story itself-survival, persistance, determination, family...

Tiffany I KNOW!! This isn't about a girl's strive for love that was just an act in the beginning not what the book symbolizes. This book shouldn't be compared to Twilight which is a sappy love story with mythical creatures! This book should be a reminder that nobody is perfect, and even though we have had a rough life there is always tomorrow and that your future is up to you, don't let your fears rule out and just like Katniss' game remembering everything good she's ever seen just to make her problems disapear there are worse games to play.
I wish people would see what Suzanne Collins is trying to have shine through not see this book like matched or twilight that are about love, this book is so much more.

Becca Jones i read the first and had to wait for the second and third books to come out, so i couldn't stand it when everyone bought all three and got obsessed a few months ago, like seriously? i read them like three or four years ago!
I feel the same way! The love triange was never really a big part of it for me, everyone was suddenly like "team peeta or team gale?" and i didn't know what to say, so i re-read them and i still can't decide. its not even that important when so much else is happening!

message 6: by Sandra (last edited Nov 01, 2012 12:52AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sandra When I read the book - in english, I'm dutch myself - I really didn't know that Gale was actually in love with Katniss before she left for the games. It wasn't that obvious in the first book. Peeta's love for her was.
But it wasn't love that kept me reading. And I hate to say it, it wasn't the political stuff eighter.
The story was unique to me. Kids killing kids in some weird tv game show. So I bought it for the 'creep-factor'. But I have to admit I belong to the 'trilogy-book buyers', but that's more so due to the fact that english books are kind of hard to get in Holland. So I really don't know what great books are out there...

I don't get the "omigodlikepeetaissohotsoisgale" and most of it is due to the film, I'm guessing ;)
It certainly wasn't what rocked my boat.

message 7: by Cecilia (last edited Nov 09, 2012 07:22AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cecilia Carreon Uhmm yea... I read this book not even a year ago before the movie came out. I had heard a big commotion about it but the cover never took my interest so i was never going to give it a chance.

I was part of the firsts to stumble onto twilight and loved it still do. Then it got all weird and horrible movies and everyone was in love all this crap never taking into consideration a wonderful story with a beautiful romance. So i can sorta see what you are saying about the hunger games. i respect the characters not want to lock them up in my basement sorta thing.

BUT even though i am new to this story (my friend bugged me until i read it) I love it and i am able to to tell you many distinguished reasons why that has nothing to do with love or a triangle or any reason you may think, the movie wasn't that great to say "i love Jennifer and josh!!". So to say you hate ppl who just joined the fan crowd. Or not think much of us because we didn't read 4 years ago is not fair. Because in reality i see the story in my own way and i love it. so yea i was part of the ppl who bought the movie have the books and re read them on occasion.

As far as twilight goes some "fans" have just made it impossible to be able to say I enjoyed twilight but if someone can show some depth into their devotion then i welcome them to an open discussion about something we truly love.

Monkique That is the big problem when a book has become in a movie. You have a lot of people talking about the story like if they will know everything when these people even know who is the person that wrote the story or they didn't have read one single book. I hate love triangles, but I think that hollywood want to make the hunger games to the new twilight. And I hate that idea so much.

message 9: by Olivia (new) - added it

Olivia Monkique wrote: "That is the big problem when a book has become in a movie. You have a lot of people talking about the story like if they will know everything when these people even know who is the person that wrot..."
ok

Daniel I never read a book because of the hype. I never actually pay attention to any of that. I just go to the library and browse until i find something i think i might like.
I didn't read these books years ago but i did read the first book before i knew about the movie.
I won't read a book if i've seen the movie.I guess i'm weird like that.
The Peeta,Gale thing is pretty ridiculous. It seems that's the only reason some people like the book. I didn't really care. I could have done with out the love triangle. I just like the story

message 11: by Olivia (new) - added it

Olivia Daniel wrote: "I never read a book because of the hype. I never actually pay attention to any of that. I just go to the library and browse until i find something i think i might like.
I didn't read these books y..."

yea the story was it bit better, in somways.

Melissa I read all the books when I heard about the movie, but I had heard of them before because my niece and sister read them. I found the romance aspect really got in the way of the overall story of overthrowing a tyrannical government.

message 13: by Olivia (new) - added it

Olivia Melissa wrote: "I read all the books when I heard about the movie, but I had heard of them before because my niece and sister read them. I found the romance aspect really got in the way of the overall story of ove..."

yea it was bit.

message 14: by Olivia (new) - added it

Olivia :)

Angie Elle Threads like this make me curious. So what if you read a book before someone else? Do you think that somehow makes it 'yours?' Are you better than them because you read it first?

And why are you (this is directed at no one in particular) so concerned with what someone else took away from the book? This story is directed at a Young Adult audience. Many of the people who read it have never experienced first love, but may be on the brink of that. I think it's natural for them to gravitate toward the personal relationships in the story.

Rarely have I read a book that contained only one theme or idea. Every one takes something different away from the books they read.

message 16: by Jeni (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jeni I am in agreement with Angie on this one. Just because people are enamored of a story they have just read, doesn't mean they are less sincere than those who read the same story long before.

I'm new to Game of Thrones and am a huge fan, but I don't think that makes me less of one because I'm late to the party.

There's no rule to being a fan of literature. My daughter is 15 and recently discovered The Great Gatsby, but it doesn't mean she's a fawngirl or fangurl or whatever you call it. She enjoys the book, plain and simple.

Yes, sometimes it is bewildering when people finally discover a story you have loved for years(and usually thanks to a movie), but it doesn't mean their enjoyment is less valid than our own.

It is a great gift that there are so many types of stories to enjoy or dislike--it's part of the joy of reading, in my opinion. I am generally happy that so many people end up enjoying something I have liked for so long. It means people are reading, and that, after all, is the primary goal.

Melissa My particular issue with the romantic aspect of the books was that it seemed forced and superficial, almost an afterthought. To me, it didn't add value to the overall story. The played-up story of star-crossed lovers for the actual Hunger Games themselves was more entertaining itself because we got to see the human condition and Katniss juggle that age-old question: "what WOULD I do for a Klondike bar?" But seriously, it was a good way to show what people would do in desperation and showing her self-doubt about her feelings in the very end was effective. The rest of the "romance"? Just... felt forced.

message 18: by Leah (new) - rated it 3 stars

Leah I think it was a good thing that the movie came out. I don't think I would've read Mortal Instruments if I hadn't heard a movie was coming out. As for the "peetaissohotandsoisgale" people, well, let them be. People freak out like that over books that haven't turned into movies yet.

Jamila Most of the time I cringe a little when I watch a book to movie adaptation because they usually leave out so many important parts and just focus on love rather than the real story. That is exactly what happened with this movie. I hate having to go to the movies with my friends and explain the whole story because they feel something is missing. Like really they always put in the parts that aren't needed and decide to leave out the most important parts.

In terms of the romantic aspect, my only issue is thats all everyone ever thinks about rather than the story. I can understand that obsession with something like Twilight something that is meant to be a love story. But not with the Hunger Games, a book that is so much more than the "romance". It seems like people care about love more than a good, decent story and that is a little sad.

Jordan I read this book... I think a year ago. And I agree. I didn't read it because of the movie, and I hate it when people do (no offense to the people who do, I admit, I do it sometimes) because, they get into the whole hype as if they are the original fans. Now I know I'm not an "original" fan but I am not someone who read it last minute for the movie. I actually read it because my English teacher persuaded me.

message 21: by Angie Elle (last edited Nov 27, 2012 03:50PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Angie Elle Jordan wrote: "I read this book... I think a year ago. And I agree. I didn't read it because of the movie, and I hate it when people do (no offense to the people who do, I admit, I do it sometimes) because, they ..."

Well...how do you think the 'unoriginal' fans should act, then? Do you think that the fact that you read it first means you like it more?

message 22: by Leah (new) - rated it 3 stars

Leah Angie wrote: "Jordan wrote: "I read this book... I think a year ago. And I agree. I didn't read it because of the movie, and I hate it when people do (no offense to the people who do, I admit, I do it sometimes)..."

Exactly! Are "unoriginal" fans any less fans than you are?

Katja Angie wrote: "Threads like this make me curious. So what if you read a book before someone else? Do you think that somehow makes it 'yours?' Are you better than them because you read it first?

And why are you (..."

I couldn't agree with you more! People need to calm down and let others enjoy the books as they wish, no matter at what point in time they read them.

Jordan Angie wrote: "Jordan wrote: "I read this book... I think a year ago. And I agree. I didn't read it because of the movie, and I hate it when people do (no offense to the people who do, I admit, I do it sometimes)..."

okay, sorry let me rephrase. Just people who read a book just because there is a movie coming out. I do that sometimes, but I just think that it feels more special when you read a book for the book, and not the movie. sorry to have offended anyone.

message 25: by Angie Elle (last edited Nov 27, 2012 05:26PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Angie Elle Jordan wrote: "Angie wrote: "Jordan wrote: "I read this book... I think a year ago. And I agree. I didn't read it because of the movie, and I hate it when people do (no offense to the people who do, I admit, I do..."

I'm really not offended. I'm just curious.

I don't think the motivation for choosing a book changes the feel you're going to get while you're reading it. If your friend recommends a book to you instead of you randomly picking it up off the shelf, does it change what you feel while you're reading it? I don't think so.

It might make a difference in whether or not you read the book in the first place, but not what you feel while reading it.

I do think if you read it after you've seen the movie, you 'see' things differently because images have been provided for you, but I don't think it means you like it less.

Luna Belle Pris It doesn't matter who liked it first, but I do see how the sudden popularity of a book that you privately enjoyed, can take away from its original luster of being just "yours." Now suddenly everyone likes it and then everyone seems to hate it because everyone else likes it. I think in the end we all like best what we can keep sacred, which is why I choose to stay away from those certain fans or anti fans whose obsession is just too much!

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Jeni wrote: "I am in agreement with Angie on this one. Just because people are enamored of a story they have just read, doesn't mean they are less sincere than those who read the same story long before.

I'm n..."

I think you tottally nailed it,thats what I was thinking to. If it takes a movie to get kids to read and enjoy a book, that's Awesome :)

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Incessant fangirling is nothing but annoying and unneccessary.
The Peeta vs. Gale obsession sometimes makes me *gasp* often makes sick of the Hunger Games.

Melanie Well I did not read the books until I heard the movie was coming out (although I was aware of them beforehand), so I guess I am not a "real" fan. Whatever that means. I'm not sure why people get so snobby about this sort of thing.

Anyway. When I did read the series, I did not think that there was a love triangle at all, as Katniss was not particularly interested in any sort of romance (never mind the fact that Gale didn't have much of a presence in the books). So the "team" stuff has never made much sense to me. However, it makes no difference to me when others do get excited about that; it does not take away my enjoyment. Why would it?

But since I did not read these books when they first came out, I guess my opinion is about as worthy as onion peelings, anyway.

message 30: by Laura (last edited Dec 19, 2012 02:43PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Laura Tenma wrote: "So, I was part of the original crowd that read the books a few years ago, as opposed to a few months ago, and while I think the support of that many fans is great-the increased amount of people faw..."

Most movies these days are book adaptations, and so when trailers are released for the movie, suddenly everyone is reading the book. It does annoy me, though I do this sometimes and really have no right to be irritated by this. People can read books whenever they want and although it is frustrating when people claim to be the biggest fans after reading the book just because the movie came out, they still have every right to. There's nothing really to do about it.

message 31: by Eml (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eml I actually got the first book the week it came out. I've been a part of the fan base, and have watched it grow and the whole thing is so annoying, I just ignore it pretty much now. I've had several long conversations with people over whether she should choose Gale or Peeta, but it wasn't because we were fangirling, it was because we had nothing else to talk about. Collins is too unpredictable when it comes to plot so we could only speculate for so long. However, there was a lot of stuff when it came to Peeta vs. Gale. I really can't stand the team stuff (I wish we had shipping like Harry Potter), but I've come to accept it. Yes, there are a lot if idiots that don't understand the meaning of the books, but there are some people who are discovering it for the first time and want to talk about the books as much as they can. It’s just frustrating for me because I hate the movie and I feel like it’s manipulating how people think about the books. It’s not taken seriously anymore like it was when it like an underground book.