Books that Changed Our Lives discussion

Body for Life caused a surprising change!

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maysam (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:27AM) (new)

Maysam yes or no? why?

message 2: by HT (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:27AM) (new)

HT Goodwill | 8 comments Mod
I was surprised that this book was able to change my life. Principally, Body for Life is a book about weight loss, exercise and diet with pretty typical language about motivation, goals, success stories, etc. I've read a number of books like this, and many info-mercials have the same emotional pump-up. (Side Note: my wife and I plan to start the program soon - she's worked through it before and is a fan.)

I haven't even begun the diet and exercise, so how did this book change my life? The author emphasizes planning out your exercises before you work out - and not just which exercises, but also the 'high points' of the workout. These are the times when you are tired, the strain is intense and you have to dig deep for inner strength to keep going. According to the author, at these times, when you push yourself beyond your imagined limits that you make the most progress.

The author also mentions frequently in the book that this approach is able to change how you live your whole life - he doesn't go into any depth which is one of the books weaknesses - I think this should be a major discussion. Nevertheless, it was in my mind while I read, and when he suggested planning your high points, something clicked.

I took the idea of planning the high points and applied it to various areas of my life (family, finances, occupation, spirituality, house-hold responsibilities, etc). I started planning what I could do the next day to hit 'high points' - points where I'm focused, intense and pushing myself hard to finish the task.

It's hard to explain, because it sounds like I'm talking about a 'To Do' list. It is a list of things to do, but they are things that push me beyond my comfortable limits. Much of this is emotional -- I have a real issue with avoidance when it comes to being engaged with my kids or my wife, being loving and gentle, working around the house/yard, or various boring jobs at work.

Then I treat the listed items as a workout: I get psyched up and then I push myself hard. I challenge myself every time I start a new task to see how quickly and efficiently I can finish it. I ask myself over and over again, "How strong am I? How hard can I push?" I have to push myself beyond boredom, frustration, anxiety, anger to where I can get the job done (or push myself to be kind, patient, gentle).

These 'planned high points' lists have had a major impact on my life thus far, and I hope to make them a central part of my life and character. I feel like this one idea is the small key I've needed to break through many of my personal obstacles and I feel empowered and eager for the first time.

message 3: by Héctor (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:27AM) (new)

Héctor Does the humanity need the nuclear energy?. What do you think, Maysam?. I recommend to read "The Hydrogen Economy" of Jeremy Rifkin.

message 4: by Maysam (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:28AM) (new)

Maysam All countries must use this energey resource, but west don't accept nucler iran!

message 5: by Héctor (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:28AM) (new)

Héctor All the countries must develop all the possible energies with pacific aims. But the nuclear is dangerous and costly. The solar energy is best...

message 6: by Conrad (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:28AM) (new)

Conrad Hector, the problem with switching over to a hydrogen economy is that it requires such a huge initial investment of energy. The energy saved by running a car off of hydrogen is spent when you manufacture the hydrogen-powered engine. Until that changes, hydrogen will continue to be an even more burdensome fuel source than fossil fuels. The most viable option for decreasing energy load in the short term is to decrease demand by increasing machine efficiency.

Maysam, personally, I would prefer that no one use nuclear energy until it's environmentally safer, neither Iran nor the United States. I think most Americans agree, too - nuclear energy is very unpopular here. The problem is that many of my countrymen do not trust Iran's leaders when they assure us that they intend to develop nuclear energy as a resource instead of as a weapon, even though nuclear weapons are a common byproduct of nuclear energy use.

message 7: by Héctor (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:28AM) (new)

Héctor Of course, Conrad. This is in the future. But, in your country, there are programs already. I recommend the book "The Hydrogen Economy:
Opportunities, Costs, Barriers, and R&D Needs" of the National Academy of Engineering. This book is available online in http://www.nap.edu/.

message 8: by Maysam (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:28AM) (new)

Maysam Conrad, why my people must trust to your countrymen? you have nuclear weapons and used it. Why it's your nations right, but not ours?

message 9: by SYED (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:28AM) (new)

SYED main problem is not that why should u hav or not hav the nuclear weapons.I belong to the country which became a nuclear power in 1998 and till 2007 it is blambed on us that we hav spread this technology all around the world i admitted that due to our one scientist iran and north korea hav nuclear power and i think third world countries should not hav nuclear power.

message 10: by Héctor (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:28AM) (new)

Héctor And I who I thought that there was a single world, Syed!!. It is clear that the nuclear energy, and more the nuclear weapons, are a danger for all the life in our planet. It´s naive my position?

message 11: by Roberta (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:28AM) (new)

Roberta (robbi_t) No one should have nuclear technology if they plan to use it as a weapon. As a source of energy, it may pose a slight danger (Chernobyl, etc.), but as a source of destruction, it is devastating.

message 12: by sanaz (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:29AM) (new)

sanaz Dear mysam:I, my self, as an Iranian, think that maybe it's not right for Iran's government to have nuclear technology. why? because Iran, right now, has a government which is very interested in violation and war and this is not safe not only for middle east but also for all the world.
if a crazy man had a knife, you couldn't say knife is useful in surgery or kitchen. he doen't know how to use it and could be dangerouse.
Dear Mysam: it's not the problm of trusting in country men.
but to every one: here is new point: if all the world have the nuclear technology, don't you think that the possibility of starting war decreese maybe to Zero?
but as a general idea:I think Roberta is right: till you make sure that nuclear technology will use only in peacefull ways, you may not let people use it!!!

message 13: by Héctor (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:29AM) (new)

Héctor A list of nuclear power accidents in: http://schema-root.org/technology/nuc...

message 14: by laila (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:29AM) (new)

laila I wonder how some people can be so unaware in this age of information .our nuclear matter has been lots of times declared on TV, newspapers, sites ,etc and we r shouting that we have no nuclear weapon and no plan to use such thing. According to our politics and doctorines as an islamic country ,it is not the army power which saves the country. The true power is GOD on whom our only trust lays. I have examples to prove this: we all know that ISRAEL has nuclear weapon and HIZBULLAH of LIBAN isn't so developped nation in weapons and has no nuclear weapon. But as we witnessed last year liban defeated the zionisme in just 33 days. So if nuclear can do sth it would be usefull for israel. Another instance is the 8 year war between IRAN and IRAQ in which all the world were supporting iraq by chemical weapons , and iran had no orgonised army nor enough weapon again she could defeat iraq. U know why? The answer is simple but deep, it's just divine aid and we have lots of documental reasons and stories to prove that. So with this belief our plans never depend on nuclear weapons and now we have healthy nuclear technology made by iranian experts in spite of all deprivations by other countries and use in a peacefull way.

message 15: by Héctor (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:29AM) (new)

Héctor That regrettable war, Laila, cost 1.ooo.ooo of lives and there was no a clear winner. More than divine aid, they were the western nations those that contributed arms to both countries.

message 16: by Farzan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:29AM) (new)

Farzan (PersianGuy1983) Dear Sanaz : How can you prove your claim about iran has nuclear weapon ? but i believe nuclear energy can promote some countries to produce electricity or something else and enpower some countries to threat other countries . for example industrial countries like France , Germany , US and so on have this energy and want to deprieve iran from this energy . this is not fair , we have to have hope not use this energy in wrong way.

message 17: by Héctor (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:29AM) (new)

Héctor From what source the energy of the world is obtained?
Petroleum: 39% (There are reservs until +30 years)
Coal: 32.2% (+200 years)
Natural Gas: 24.3% (+50 years)
Hydroelectric: 2.2%
Nuclear: 2.1%
Renewable Energies: 0.2%

Data: Secretaría de Energía (Argentina)
and http://www.hubbertpeak.com/laherrere/...

message 18: by SYED (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:29AM) (new)

SYED dear hector sorry if i spell yr name wrong.The nuclear energy i admitted is not the main source of energy yet.But it is clear from most of survey and research reports that soon if we don't find out the new resources of energy we will hav shortage of energy within next few decades.No one country which is trying to setup a big centrifuges plant hav a claim that she will not have nuclear weapon soon within the next few years.I m dead sure that mostly countries which hav this technology perhaps use this techonology for the energy puprposes.I give u one example of our own country we hav two main atomic palnts one is near our capital and other is in our big city karachi.Three months back i visited the karachi plant as a student of industrial electronics i was shocked to see that the main plant is producing just 350megawatt of energy from this u can imagine why these plants are counstructed.

i m in beleive that this energy is suitable if it is using for peaceful purposes and i don't think so that iran is just using it for energy purposes.Iran hardly hav a population of 80million which is the half of our population and i don;t think so Iran has a need for such energy because IRAN has oil resources and gas too.

message 19: by yaraa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:29AM) (new)

yaraa dear meysam
can u really trust your countrymen???????? what happpeed if they have it?????????? i agree with u we should have it but how can we trust our countrymen???????????

message 20: by yaraa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:29AM) (new)

yaraa dear farzan
we are iranian and we know that we need this energy an we know how useful it is but its not our problem our problem is the government we cant trust them in anything let alone in this important issue cant u see our economy?? cant u see what did they do with this country?? cant u see what happened to iran??? what did they do for iran for our economy? for our culture? for oil industry? they do so with this energy

message 21: by Maysam (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:29AM) (new)

Maysam
bebin refigh, to irani hasti, to dige nabayad in harfo bezani, man nemigam cheshmato bebando bego chon man irani hastam pas movafegham, vali yekam dorobaremono nega kon, mibini? amrica, amrica, amrica, amrica va motehadeash, age ma ye ahrome ghodrat to mantaghe nadashte bashim mian be mamlekate mam dast derazi mikonan, in ye tarafe ghazie, tarafe digash, mage ma kei nafto gaz darim? takei bayad nafto gazemono bedimo kharje bodjeye mamlekat konim? man aslan nemigam dolate ma dolate khobi, man nemikham az dolat tarafdari konam, khodam bishtar az to delam pore az karashopon, roozi 1000 bar bado bira migam beheshoon, vali age ma alan in karo nakonim dige nemitonim, bayad hamishe vabasteye gharb bashim, to ke fekr nemikoni gharbia deleshon be hale misoozevo harvaght ma azashon komak bekhaim komakemoon mikonan? pas tavagho nadshte bash ro ona hesab baz konim. matlabe dige, mage keshvaraye digeyee ke in energyo daran mardomeshon be dolatashon etemad dashtan? mage amrica be hiroshima hamleye atomi nakard?
bebin keshvare ma to ye geolocation va geopolitice khassie ma baad inghadr ghodrat va nofooz to donya dashte bashim ke kesi havas nakone be khakemon dast derazi kone, manzooramo vazeh resondam?
to injoor mavaghe hamishe say mikonam oza dakhelie keshvaro ghatie mogheyeate kharejimon nakonam, toam say kon injoori bashi...

message 22: by Héctor (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:29AM) (new)

Héctor Can you translate this, Maysam?. Thanks
Syed:
The problem of the nuclear energy, is not its production or generation, but its radioactive waste. For that reason the intelligence of the world must be concentrated in the renewable energies (solar, aeolian, geothermal, mareomotriz, biomass).

message 23: by Alien (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:30AM) (new)

Alien  Citizen I completely agree with you Maysam...I've been following this discussion silently because it seems like there is little point in going back and forth about what our opinions on the matter are or if Iran should have it or not. What is really going on is that the power players in the world want to maintain power and, in particular, power over resources like oil. If Iran has nuclear weapons then this changes the balance of power in that oil-rich region...that region where these same US power brokers have strengthened their hand by, among other things, giving nuclear weapons to Israel. If life was a fairytale then maybe things would be "fair" and we could talk about how unfair it is for Israel to have this nuclear arsenal, and for the US to have them, but not Iran...but in truth, fairness is not what this is all about. Fairness also has nothing to do with why the US invaded Iraq...no, this is all a power play.

message 24: by SYED (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:30AM) (new)

SYED Alien i agree with yr opinion but just think the background behind the Iran's nuclear resources.If u want the reality then read the book
"Shopping for bombs" by Gordon corera

message 25: by Héctor (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:30AM) (new)

Héctor This play of power (poder), at any time, can remain without players, beautiful Alien...

message 26: by sanaz (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:30AM) (new)

sanaz Dear Meysam,
here is a public group. don't you think it's not true talking in a language which others couldn't understand that?
I'm agree with Nazanin. of course we are iranian.and we have the right of asking for what make our future better but we are not trusted in our counrtymen!what should we do now?
also meysam is right in some parts when he said: we have to try to reach where we don't need to depend on other countries. we couldn't ask for help every time.
but dear Meysam: we have to look our national situation when we want to talk about some big international problems. our national situation effect our international possision. these are not two seperate things. national and international relation make a country. why other countries are not agreed that Iran have the nuclear power? one of the reasons are because they look at our unstable( I don't know if I spell it correct)national situation. don't you think so? I think before you asked yes or no! you should ask why?

message 27: by Maysam (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:30AM) (new)

Maysam ooops!
i don't accept your reasons, nazanin, it's a power lever in the world.
(sorry for bad english!)

message 28: by saba (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:31AM) (new)

saba bebinid,aslan ma cheghad manbae sokht darim ke inghad sarmayegozari mikonim?

message 29: by Maysam (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:31AM) (new)

Maysam To discussion in Persian about "Nuclear Iran" visit http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show_g...

message 30: by Maysam (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:32AM) (new)

Maysam Answers are enough to close this discussion?

message 31: by SYED (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:32AM) (new)

SYED ask maysam i will open all the reality which is behind the nuclear iran.

message 32: by Héctor (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:32AM) (new)

Héctor Don´t worry about the nuclear weapons. Worry by the neurotelepathics arms!!

message 33: by Alien (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:33AM) (new)

Alien  Citizen Just a quick note. I hope that those of us whose Persian isn't what it used to be (or who don't read Persian at all) will not be cut off from this discussion by moving the bulk of it to another thread. While holding a forum like this with people from many different cultures and different languages necessarily means that communication will not come easily (I struggle to fully understand the replies to my earlier posting)...I think it is of great benefit to all of us to be exposed to a diverse array of opinions. I respect you all for participating and making an effort.

message 34: by Héctor (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:33AM) (new)

Héctor My last comment about this topic: All the powerful ones of the world (in USA, Rusia, Paquistán, India, Irán, etc) are playing with fire (nuclear). I hope that the human continues living…

Prajapati, you have understood?

message 35: by Maysam (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:33AM) (new)

Maysam SYED, Why U.S and Europ push Iran to stop Uranium enrichment?
Finaly who is the winner, Iran or the West?

message 36: by SYED (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:33AM) (new)

SYED MAYSAM i did not say abt the winner or looser at all.I said abt the resources u get that technology i had a deep view abt the whole matter.One thing i told u if u r claiming that yr atomic plant is just for peacefull purposes why u r installing 50thousands centrifuges at plant in nunz.I can't imagine for which type of peacefull purposes u are installing these 50 thousands centrifuges beleive me from these centrifuges u can create 10 to 15 atomic bombs.Where is yr president statement that we r using it for peacefull purposes.

message 37: by Maysam (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:34AM) (new)

Maysam so...., how many centrifuges needed for atomic planet?

message 38: by SYED (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:34AM) (new)

SYED ask from yr engineers already our one scientist is in prison after giving yr country a typical CD.

message 39: by Maysam (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:34AM) (new)

Maysam effff! wht a clear answer!

message 40: by Maysam (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:03PM) (new)

Maysam thanks meysam.

message 41: by SYED (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:04PM) (new)

SYED For wht?