Debate discussion

100 views
Theories > The Big Bang

Comments Showing 1-50 of 260 (260 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by The New Maria (new)

The New Maria (emeraldmaria) | 1950 comments Did it happen? Is there evidence? Who created it? Was it created? How did it happen? Questions to ponder while answering this.


message 2: by Chandani (new)

Chandani  (Milkduds920) | 6408 comments The big bang.

"About 15 billion years ago a tremendous explosion started the expansion of the universe. This explosion is known as the Big Bang. At the point of this event all of the matter and energy of space was contained at one point. What exisisted prior to this event is completely unknown and is a matter of pure speculation. This occurance was not a conventional explosion but rather an event filling all of space with all of the particles of the embryonic universe rushing away from each other. The Big Bang actually consisted of an explosion of space within itself unlike an explosion of a bomb were fragments are thrown outward. The galaxies were not all clumped together, but rather the Big Bang lay the foundations for the universe. "

There is proof, because the universe still continues to expand every day, as we speak--erm type. The universe is in constant motion and is ever growing.


message 3: by Eric▲ (new)

Eric▲ (ɔıɹǝ) | 716 comments the big bang. a spek apears from nowhere the entire universe fit inside the spek (even though my socks wont fit in one drawer) then, for no reason at all, it blew up. and this explosion placed us in the 1 and only position in the universe to support life (even though it's much more likely to win thelottery twice, get run over by 3 full 18 wheelers transporting lead, struck by lightning 20 times, AND walk off just like u wer when u won the lotery, but wearing a busness suit.

yeah, like it really happened..


message 4: by Lucy (new)

Lucy Loo (lucy78) | 39 comments There's no big bang..it's all God


message 5: by Emma the Dork (new)

Emma the Dork (cheesehead) AND HOW DO YOU KNOW THAT?????


message 6: by Eric▲ (new)

Eric▲ (ɔıɹǝ) | 716 comments cause HE left a freakin' book about it.
try explaining where the speck came from...


message 7: by The New Maria (new)

The New Maria (emeraldmaria) | 1950 comments God, just randomly appeared out of no where, manages to listen to billions of people at one time, can control every minds thoughts, see's everything, is able to decided a sinner from millions of others, caused the very, very complex system of living, is smarted than science, and much much more...

Yeah, like that's more possible than the Big Bang.


message 8: by Eric▲ (new)

Eric▲ (ɔıɹǝ) | 716 comments absolutly.
planing is more successful than luck so nothing to debate


message 9: by Lucy (new)

Lucy Loo (lucy78) | 39 comments Masha wrote: "God, just randomly appeared out of no where, manages to listen to billions of people at one time, can control every minds thoughts, see's everything, is able to decided a sinner from millions of ot..."

it may sound weird but God can do anything ......sssssssssssooooooooo


message 10: by Lucy (new)

Lucy Loo (lucy78) | 39 comments Emma the Dork wrote: "AND HOW DO YOU KNOW THAT?????"

Read Genesis!!!!!!


message 11: by jeeves... (new)

jeeves... | 644 comments Eric▲ wrote: "the big bang. a spek apears from nowhere the entire universe fit inside the spek (even though my socks wont fit in one drawer) then, for no reason at all, it blew up. and this explosion placed us i..."

hahahaha, dude, that was the most awesome explanation of the big bang i have ever heard hahahaha... and i agree, btw :D


message 12: by The New Maria (new)

The New Maria (emeraldmaria) | 1950 comments Angel77 (Christian 4 Life!!!) wrote: "Emma the Dork wrote: "AND HOW DO YOU KNOW THAT?????"

Read Genesis!!!!!!"


Um, it may be stated in the Bible but as far as we know the Bible is just some other fictional novel. Like people believe in Edward Cullen, but Meyer made that all up. How do we know the bible is real? And don;t give me any of "because God said so" crap. I need substantial evidence.




message 13: by jeeves... (new)

jeeves... | 644 comments people believe in edward cullen? the world is over.


message 14: by The New Maria (new)

The New Maria (emeraldmaria) | 1950 comments Gawd, I agree.


message 15: by The New Maria (new)

The New Maria (emeraldmaria) | 1950 comments It's not even a good book!


message 16: by jeeves... (new)

jeeves... | 644 comments i know... is there a twilight debate? haha, not that i could participate, i'm a guy so i gave up even trying to read it on page 54 or something...


message 17: by The New Maria (new)

The New Maria (emeraldmaria) | 1950 comments I hate those books, but back to the topic...


message 18: by Lucy (new)

Lucy Loo (lucy78) | 39 comments Masha wrote: "Angel77 (Christian 4 Life!!!) wrote: "Emma the Dork wrote: "AND HOW DO YOU KNOW THAT?????"

Read Genesis!!!!!!"

Um, it may be stated in the Bible but as far as we know the Bible is just some other..."


I'm just going to stop saying the same thing to people on the computer....when i see someone face to face i will tell u.....if u r on the computer the simple thing that i im going 2 say is please Read the bible.if u think it's fictional u can...get ready for hell and that's all i'm going to say......... unless someone else wants to explain 2 this person......well that would be wonderful....not trying to be harsh



message 19: by jeeves... (new)

jeeves... | 644 comments i'm sure kenna would love to explain :D hahah jkjk...


message 20: by The New Maria (new)

The New Maria (emeraldmaria) | 1950 comments Sigh, me reading it doesn't make it any less fictional, people telling me it's fact doesn't make any difference either.


message 21: by Seth (new)

Seth (NinjaaaaaofWritingbooks) | 544 comments Okay, this is my opinion on the matter: God created everything; I have ZERO proof, but no one can change my mind on that matter. I just BELIVE and have FAITH about it. Anyways, erm, The Big Bang could have happened, its just that God would have created it, you know? And it wouldn't really be a BANG, because the universe is expanding faster now than it was before, whereas bangs slow down later.


message 22: by The New Maria (new)

The New Maria (emeraldmaria) | 1950 comments Good, I have faith in science. Maybe they should call it a religion too... I'm adding that to my poll.


message 23: by The New Maria (new)

The New Maria (emeraldmaria) | 1950 comments Did you post something?


message 24: by Seth (new)

Seth (NinjaaaaaofWritingbooks) | 544 comments What?


message 25: by The New Maria (new)

The New Maria (emeraldmaria) | 1950 comments Sorry. My computer was being weird...


message 26: by Chandani (new)

Chandani  (Milkduds920) | 6408 comments The big bang makes a lot of sense. I actually feel like i've posted this before....

The origin of the Big Bang theory can be credited to Edwin Hubble. Hubble made the observation that the universe is continuously expanding. He discovered that a galaxys velocity is proportional to its distance. Galaxies that are twice as far from us move twice as fast. Another consequence is that the universe is expanding in every direction. This observation means that it has taken every galaxy the same amount of time to move from a common starting position to its current position. Just as the Big Bang provided for the foundation of the universe, Hubbles observations provided for the foundation of the Big Bang theory.

Since the Big Bang, the universe has been continuously expanding and, thus, there has been more and more distance between clusters of galaxies. This phenomenon of galaxies moving farther away from each other is known as the red shift. As light from distant galaxies approach earth there is an increase of space between earth and the galaxy, which leads to wavelengths being stretched.

In addition to the understanding of the velocity of galaxies emanating from a single point, there is further evidence for the Big Bang. In 1964, two astronomers, Arno Penzias and Robert Wilson, in an attempt to detect microwaves from outer space, inadvertently discovered a noise of extraterrestrial origin. The noise did not seem to emanate from one location but instead, it came from all directions at once. It became obvious that what they heard was radiation from the farthest reaches of the universe which had been left over from the Big Bang. This discovery of the radioactive aftermath of the initial explosion lent much credence to the Big Bang theory.

Even more recently, NASAs COBE satellite was able to detect cosmic microwaves eminating from the outer reaches of the universe. These microwaves were remarkably uniform which illustrated the homogenity of the early stages of the universe. However, the satillite also discovered that as the universe began to cool and was still expanding, small fluctuations began to exist due to temperature differences. These flucuatuations verified prior calculations of the possible cooling and development of the universe just fractions of a second after its creation. These fluctuations in the universe provided a more detailed description of the first moments after the Big Bang. They also helped to tell the story of the formation of galaxies which will be discussed in the next chapter.

The Big Bang theory provides a viable solution to one of the most pressing questions of all time. It is important to understand, however, that the theory itself is constantly being revised. As more observations are made and more research conducted, the Big Bang theory becomes more complete and our knowledge of the origins of the universe more substantial.

THE FIRST ATOMS

Now that an attempt has been made to grapple with the theory of the Big Bang, the next logical question to ask would be what happened afterward? In the minuscule fractions of the first second after creation what was once a complete vacuum began to evolve into what we now know as the universe. In the very beginning there was nothing except for a plasma soup. What is known of these brief moments in time, at the start of our study of cosmology, is largely conjectural. However, science has devised some sketch of what probably happened, based on what is known about the universe today.

Immediately after the Big Bang, as one might imagine, the universe was tremendously hot as a result of particles of both matter and antimatter rushing apart in all directions. As it began to cool, at around 10^-43 seconds after creation, there existed an almost equal yet asymmetrical amount of matter and antimatter. As these two materials are created together, they collide and destroy one another creating pure energy. Fortunately for us, there was an asymmetry in favor of matter. As a direct result of an excess of about one part per billion, the universe was able to mature in a way favorable for matter to persist. As the universe first began to expand, this discrepancy grew larger. The particles which began to dominate were those of matter. They were created and they decayed without the accompaniment of an equal creation or decay of an antiparticle.

As the universe expanded further, and thus cooled, common particles began to form. These particles are called baryons and include photons, neutrinos, electrons and quarks would become the building blocks of matter and life as we know it. During the baryon genesis period there were no recognizable heavy particles such as protons or neutrons because of the still intense heat. At this moment, there was only a quark soup. As the universe began to cool and expand even more, we begin to understand more clearly what exactly happened.

After the universe had cooled to about 3000 billion degrees Kelvin, a radical transition began which has been likened to the phase transition of water turning to ice. Composite particles such as protons and neutrons, called hadrons, became the common state of matter after this transition. Still, no matter more complex could form at these temperatures. Although lighter particles, called leptons, also existed, they were prohibited from reacting with the hadrons to form more complex states of matter. These leptons, which include electrons, neutrinos and photons, would soon be able to join their hadron kin in a union that would define present-day common matter.

After about one to three minutes had passed since the creation of the universe, protons and neutrons began to react with each other to form deuterium, an isotope of hydrogen. Deuterium, or heavy hydrogen, soon collected another neutron to form tritium. Rapidly following this reaction was the addition of another proton which produced a helium nucleus. Scientists believe that there was one helium nucleus for every ten protons within the first three minutes of the universe. After further cooling, these excess protons would be able to capture an electron to create common hydrogen. Consequently, the universe today is observed to contain one helium atom for every ten or eleven atoms of hydrogen.

While it is true that much of this information is speculative, as the universe ages we are able to become increasingly confident in our knowledge of its history. By studying the way in which the universe exists today it is possible to learn a great deal about its past. Much effort has gone into understanding the formation and number of baryons present today. Through finding answers to these modern questions, it is possible to trace their role in the universe back to the Big Bang. Subsequently, by studying the formation of simple atoms in the laboratory we can make some educated guesses as to how they formed originally. Only through further research and discovery will it be possible to completely understand the creation of the universe and its first atomic structures, however, maybe we will never know for sure.




message 27: by Chandani (new)

Chandani  (Milkduds920) | 6408 comments We now have something of a handle on two of the most important quandaries concerning the universe; however, one major question remains. If the universe is indeed finite, how long has it been in existence? Again, science has been able to expand upon what it knows about the universe today and extrapolate a theory as to its age. By applying the common physical equation of distance over velocity equaling time, which again uses Hubbles observations, a fairly accurate approximation can be made.

The two primary measurements needed are the distance of a galaxy moving away from us and that galaxys red shift. An unsuccessful first attempt was made to find these distances through trigonometry. Scientists were able to calculate the diameter of the Earths orbit around the sun which was augmented through the calculation of the Suns motion through our own galaxy. Unfortunately, this calculation could not be used alone to determine the enormous distance between our galaxy and those which would enable us to estimate the age of the universe because of the significant errors involved.

The next step was an understanding of the pulsation of stars. It had been observed that stars of the same luminosity blinked at the same rate, much like a lighthouse could work where all lighthouses with 150,000 watt light bulbs would rotate every thirty seconds and those with 250,000 watt light bulbs would rotate every minute. With this knowledge, scientists assumed that stars in our galaxy that blinked at the same rate as stars in distant galaxies must have the same intensity. Using trigonometry, they were able to calculate the distance to the star in our galaxy. Therefore, the distance of the distant star could be calculated by studying the difference in their intensities much like determining the distance of two cars in the night. Assuming the two cars headights had the same intensity, it would be possible to infer that the car whose headlights appeared dimmer was farther away from the observer than the other car whose headlights would seem brighter. Again, this theory could not be used alone to calculate distance of the most far-away galaxies. After a certain distance it becomes impossible to distinguish individual stars from the galaxies in which they exist. Because of the large red shifts in these galaxies a method had to be devised to find distance using entire galaxy clusters rather than stars alone.

By studying the sizes of galaxy cluster that are near to us, scientists can gain an idea of what the sizes of other clusters might be. Consequently, a prediction can be made about their distance from the Milky Way much in the same way the distance of stars was learned. Though a calculation involving the supposed distance of the far-off cluster and its red shift, a final estimation can be made as to how long the galaxy has been moving away from us. In turn, this number can be used inversely to turn back the clock to a point when the two galaxies were in the same place at the same time, or, the moment of the Big Bang. The equation generally used to show the age of the universe is shown here:

(distance of a particular galaxy) / (that galaxys velocity) = (time)

or

4.6 x 10^26 cm / 1 x 10^9 cm/sec = 4.6 x 10^17 sec


And no i did not type all of that. Im guessing you guys know about the recreating the big bang thing in geneva.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17399245/



message 28: by The New Maria (new)

The New Maria (emeraldmaria) | 1950 comments Yeah, which I did think was idiotic. They seriously had a chance of blowing us all up, and no it's true.

But back to the topic...


message 29: by Morgan (new)

Morgan  | 149 comments Goodness that was alot to read


Brigid ✩ Cool Ninja Sharpshooter ✩ *sigh* This topic never really leads anywhere, because no one's opinion can really be proven, unless someone invents time travel so we can go back and see what happened.

Both sides always argue that the opposite point of view doesn't make sense. But when you think about it, both concepts are difficult to comprehend. Yes, it is difficult to comprehend that the universe was once a microscopic speck that began to expand. It's also hard to believe that some greater power might have created our world out of nothingness.

But I do have an opinion, which I will state; although I'm not really going to argue on this one, since it will go in circles.

I don't know if the Big Bang really happened, but it seems like the most reasonable explanation to me. After all, it has been proven that the universe is expanding, which means that it HAD to start at one, single point.

I don't believe what the Bible says, because

A) I disagree with a LOT of things in the Bible, and

B) In my view, it is just a book. Those of you who are going to let yourself be offended by this, and tell me I'm going to Hell ... yeah, you do that. I don't care. I'm staying true to my opinion. The Bible was written by a bunch of monks, and I don't believe that it is really the word of God. You're free to believe what you want, and so am I. I don't see why I should go to Hell just for having an opinion.

I mean, really. Saying that the Bible "proves" the creationism theory is not a valid argument to me. Just because something is written down doesn't make it true.

However, we're all entitled to our opinions, and I'm not saying that either view is right or wrong, since none of us were there at the beginning of the world. Therefore, no one really has a right to decide.


message 31: by Chandani (new)

Chandani  (Milkduds920) | 6408 comments Ahh Brigid's back!!! YAY!!!!


message 32: by The New Maria (new)

The New Maria (emeraldmaria) | 1950 comments See Brigid, we do love you!


Brigid ✩ Cool Ninja Sharpshooter ✩ yeah masha. you convinced me. lol. ^_^


message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

Haa, I agree with Brigid. Just because it's written doesn't make it true. The Bible is proof that humans can write. That's it.


message 35: by The New Maria (new)

The New Maria (emeraldmaria) | 1950 comments Lol


message 37: by Eric▲ (new)

Eric▲ (ɔıɹǝ) | 716 comments ...
i'm not debating.


message 38: by The New Maria (last edited Feb 23, 2009 04:59PM) (new)

The New Maria (emeraldmaria) | 1950 comments What does that mean, Eric? That it's obvious that God made it or you are simply stating that you aren't debating?


message 39: by Eric▲ (new)

Eric▲ (ɔıɹǝ) | 716 comments obvious God made it.
AND that i'm not debating


Brigid ✩ Cool Ninja Sharpshooter ✩ Ur choice for being closed-minded.
Sooo if you're not debating, go away.


message 41: by The New Maria (new)

The New Maria (emeraldmaria) | 1950 comments Eric▲ wrote: "obvious God made it.
AND that i'm not debating"


Sorry, I have to debate when you make a statement as idiotic as that. You're basically said "I'm right and you're wrong but I'm not going to debate because I have no proof and am close minded."




Brigid ✩ Cool Ninja Sharpshooter ✩ seriously, eric. you act this way in, like, every topic. it's kinda annoying.


message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

He is being a little arrogant, but don't gain up on him, guys~


Brigid ✩ Cool Ninja Sharpshooter ✩ it's not that he's being arrogant, it's that he's repeatedly stating his opinion and refusing to even give thought to anybody else's ideas.


message 45: by Chandani (new)

Chandani  (Milkduds920) | 6408 comments Yeah i agree with you guys. Dont wee need to back our statements up?


message 47: by Eric▲ (new)

Eric▲ (ɔıɹǝ) | 716 comments ...
proove that something apeared from no were and exploded


message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

Couldn't we do the same thing, and say "Prove a man built the universe, everyone, and everything on it."


message 49: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (djinni) | 7365 comments Mod
Was God always there or did someone create him? If someone created him, who created the creator? Infinite regress ensues. If God was always there, why not just say the universe was always there, using occham's razor?


message 50: by Riley (new)

Riley (booksarecool) | 2246 comments How bout this!

An evil spaghetti monster flew out from nowhere and smiled, causing confetti to turn into the universe. An apple then turned into a notebook and humans came to be. Meanwhile, a big bang was coming from the spider's washing machine so it went to check on it and a book called The Calculator flew out of nowhere.

That makes a lot more sense than either theories. I believe the universe is too complex for human comprehension. Deal with it.


« previous 1 3 4 5 6
back to top