Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

General Discussion > Why do you read romance?

Comments (showing 1-21 of 21) (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kiersten (new)

Kiersten Fay (KierstenFay) | 287 comments I'm curious as to what compels others like myself to read romance novels. What is it about them that we crave?

message 2: by Bethany (new)

Bethany Aan (BethanyAan) | 5 comments I read romance because life has enough sad endings. I like happily ever after, and I like seeing people work to make that happen. I KNOW that life isn't all rose petals and kittens... that's why I believe that happy-ending books are so necessary. I think they're all that's kept me going through some very dark times. They give escape as well as hope, and I think that's crucial.

message 3: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany (LadyFalcon) | 52 comments I honestly don't read them for the romance. I see Romance as a means of flavoring like salt. A LITTLE bit is okay, but if you have nothing on your plate but a huge pile of salt, you have problems. The same thing goes if you are reading a 400 page romance novel with more romance than plot.

message 4: by Cindi (new)

Cindi Lee (Cindi_LeeJm) | 1 comments I love a steamy story with a good plot. I find myself always looking for a bit of a romantic element in most things I watch or read. I guess I'm just a sucker for romance, hehe. Back in the day I NEEDED happy endings, but as I've gotten a bit older I've learned to appreciate the not-so-blissful endings WHEN THEY work for the story, like if the male character just isn't good in the long-run for the female protagonist irrespective of him being Dreamy McDream Dude. ^_^

message 5: by PNR lover (last edited Oct 31, 2012 01:27PM) (new)

PNR  lover | 430 comments I think like most people reading is a form of getting out of the real world, some people drink, some people do sports etc, in my case I read and I won't read anything that has not got romance in.

Yes people know that's not real life, and the same as Bethany they do get you through the dark times, my husband works away a lot and I'm not a tv person, so books are my poison lol.

They have to have happy endings, with alpha males, great plots, with a generous drop sex and I'm sold.

message 6: by Jacqueline (last edited Oct 31, 2012 02:00PM) (new)

Jacqueline Rhoades (JackieRhoades) | 34 comments My reasons for escape have changed over the years, but my method of escape has not. For a little while, I can escape into someone else's life and and live vicariously through them. I can trade my husband's pot belly for a six pack and my pot belly for a slim waist and perky breasts and make wild and passionate love all night long (while husband snores beside me LOL). I can cry and laugh and in the end be assured of an HEA (a must). These books are necessary for my mental health and so much cheaper than a shrink!

message 7: by Ezinwanyi (new)

Ezinwanyi I love the who action and steps it takes to connect with someone. I think I am in love with act of falling in love.

Being on the outside looking in, it's so sweet and gave me hope that someone who care for me like that one day.

message 8: by Whitney (new)

Whitney xavier (anglexavier) | 7 comments love the act of fallin in love

message 9: by Toni (new)

Toni | 7 comments Got hooked on romance novels when I was twelve thanks to my sister, been addicted ever since. Sadly though, I haven't had any happy endings in any of my relationships, so the novels keep them alive for me.

I'm nearly positive that the love of my life is a fictional character though. So, alas, my heart is forsaken for all others.

message 10: by Geli (new)

Geli (Cherrygeli) | 26 comments i ask myself that everytime i pick up a romance. it always ends up depressing me that i dont have a great passionate romance that. lol but i suppose the thing i like most about romances is the build up to the relationship. the beginning where they are getting to know each other and stuff is awkward and goes wrong.

message 11: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (shinhbang) | 152 comments I love romance! It's intriguing to read, and because I don't have any real romance in my life. Don't have the time for it, so I stick with the books. :)

message 12: by Erica (new)

Erica (ssserica) | 14 comments I read romance novels to escape reality and have a happy blissful fantasy. I am not always in the mood for them but I do think they are a great escape at times. I like happy endings but I dislike the formula at times that most romance novels take which is the main reason I really need to be in the mood for them.

message 13: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (Savhage Temptrest) (SavhageTemptress) | 330 comments I personally love the progression of the relationships in romance and the fantasy of meeting and connecting with that special someone. Also, steaming, hot sex between the characters is a bonus as well, LOL!

message 14: by Steelwhisper (last edited Dec 05, 2012 02:02AM) (new)

Steelwhisper | 140 comments I'm actually not looking for the stereotypical modern US-American romance, what I am looking for is the old genre: the romantic tale of court and courtly love. That includes for instance such masterpieces as Wuthering Heights, Don Quixote or tales like Tristram and Iseult. Or in other words, strong emotions, development of complicated characters, quests and hindrances, often also tragedy and of course love and cherishing. A HEA is hence by no means a must (I actually dislike overblown HEAs), I'm already exceedingly happy with a HFN. If one of the characters has to die, I need to know this right from the beginning (an absolutely superior example for this is e.g. Junction X).

Unfortunately the classical Romance has become as rare as hen's teeth.

What I seek? The journey of the characters, spending time with them, living a bit through them, forgetting the everyday stuff like everyone, but also--and that absolutely never comes from modern-style romance--some bits and pieces to reflect upon. Things to think about.

message 15: by Shuling (last edited Dec 05, 2012 04:44AM) (new)

Shuling I read romance novels because if I happened to dislike the chemistry between the two characters or someone did something stupid that made me angry enough, I can just throw away the book and shrug while saying,"Well, I guess I'll just find another one." In real life, sadly, you can't do that. Also, I am a huge fan of HEA. Normally, romance novels tend to have that element. (:

message 16: by C.C. (new)

C.C. | 219 comments This is according to my professor but I think she might be right. She said, "You love romance novels because you're single." Ouch!:))

message 17: by Emily (new)

Emily Woods (MiSsMuRdEr_09) | 2 comments its an escape

Paganalexandria  | 238 comments I read romance because unlike real life everything works out in the end. I also have to be careful what my brain is exposed to. My imagination is too vivid for horror because I've read books that have given me nightmares for months. I might change sub-genre but most of my books are romantic.

Michelle(Chelle) aka Nightshade - Cake Whisperer (MichMag) To escape from real life.

message 20: by Taraa (new)

Taraa | 19 comments I don't care for all romance, just a bit. Adds to the overall story. It's an escape from real life as well. Reading sad unhappy novel would just bring me down more.

message 21: by Tmonique (last edited Dec 06, 2012 05:06PM) (new)

Tmonique Stephens | 12 comments I love reading romance to escape from the day to day grind. I love writing romance novels because I get to dictate the who my character are, what the do, who they love and how their happily ever after-or not-will play out. It's the mad doctor in me.Eternity Eternity (Book 1) by Tmonique Stephens