Books on the Nightstand discussion

New Releases You're Excited About

Comments (showing 1-24 of 24) (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Susanne (last edited Nov 01, 2012 05:21AM) (new)

Susanne (heysus74) | 97 comments What newly released or soon to be released book are you excited to read?

This question came to mind when I saw that Days of Blood and Starlight (YA Fantasy) was available for pre-order on Audible. I ordered it right then and there so I can listen to it as soon as it's released on 11/6/12. The first book in the series, Daughter of Smoke and Bone was incredible, and the narration of the audiobook by Khristine Hvam was amazing. As soon as I finished I wanted to read the next book.

I've also been axiously awaiting for Reached (YA Dystopian), despite the slightly disappointing second book in series. It's release date is 11/13/12.

What are your "I must read it as soon as it comes out, or I shall DIE!" books?

Days of Blood and Starlight (Daughter of Smoke and Bone, #2) by Laini Taylor Reached (Matched, #3) by Ally Condie

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I just heard Khaled Hosseini has a new book coming out in May And the Mountains Echoed, which I will be reading the second I get it into my hands. (hint Ann&Michael: he would be an awesome get for Booktopia WA, just saying)
And Rohinton Mistry, author of my one of my favorite books ever, A Fine Balance, is long long overdue for a new book and if/when he ever releases one I will be all over it too.

message 3: by Linda (new)

Linda | 2420 comments Mod
And the Mountains Echoed, I will be the first on the library list as I will be with Alan Bradley's next Speaking from Among the Bones A Flavia de Luce Novel by Alan Bradley. I love Flavia.

message 4: by Eric (new)

Eric | 1175 comments Mod
Building Stories by Chris Ware and Marvel Comics The Untold Story by Sean Howe

message 5: by Janet (new)

Janet (JustJanet) | 790 comments Thanks for the tip about the new Khaled Hosseini....I will be looking for it too.

message 6: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (tootired2sleep) | 24 comments Vampires in the Lemon Grove: Stories by Karen Russell comes out Feb. 2013 and The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman comes out June 2013. I've really liked both authors' backlists, so I can't wait for these two.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Well, I really couldn't wait, so I ordered this book from the UK:

Exit Kingdom (Reapers, #2) by Alden Bell
Exit Kingdom (by Alden Bell)

I might have waited, except that there is no US publication date slated yet, which is odd since the author is actually an American living in NYC!

The last time I couldn't wait for a book to be released in the U.S. was when The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest (by Stieg Larsson) came out. I know US publishers hate hearing that sort of thing, but a months-long delay wasn't working for me :-/

message 8: by Katie (new)

Katie | 91 comments Suzanne wrote: "I just heard Khaled Hosseini has a new book coming out in May And the Mountains Echoed, which I will be reading the second I get it into my hands. (hint Ann&Michael: he would be an awesome get fo..."

I didn't know about Khaled Hosseini..it's going on my list right now too! And I agree about Rohinton Mistry. Would love to read another book of his. A Fine Balance and Family Matters are two of my favorite novels of all time. What a brilliant author!

message 9: by Ann (new)

Ann (akingman) | 2096 comments Mod
Suzanne wrote: "I just heard Khaled Hosseini has a new book coming out in May And the Mountains Echoed, which I will be reading the second I get it into my hands. (hint Ann&Michael: he would be an awesome get fo..."

I'm sure Khaled Hosseini gets paid thousands of dollars per talk. I think the power of Booktopia is the ability to help "break out" an undiscovered or underappreciated author, or one just on the verge of breaking big. But yeah, that would be cool to talk to him.

message 10: by nancy (new)

nancy (npjacoby) | 261 comments Suzanne wrote: "I just heard Khaled Hosseini has a new book coming out in May And the Mountains Echoed, which I will be reading the second I get it into my hands. (hint Ann&Michael: he would be an awesome get fo..."

Both of these authors are among my favorites...I'd stand in any line to get their new books immediately.

message 11: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (tracemick) | 217 comments Kate Atkinson has a new book coming out that I'm really, really excited about! Life After Life

message 12: by Marly (new)

Marly | 152 comments I'm with you Linda, I love Flavia and I've been anxiously awaiting Speaking from Among the Bones (Flavia de Luce, #5 ) by Alan Bradley

message 13: by Shannon (new)

Shannon B | 85 comments I am also anxiously awaiting Speaking from Among the Bones.... Flavia is so fun!

Also looking forward to Kate Atkinson's Life After Life, I enjoy her writing very much.

Lastly, I am excited about Barbara Kingsolver's Flight Behavior.

Now, if only Wally Lamb and Erik Larson would publish new books also, my literary world would be complete!

message 14: by Amy (new)

Amy | 463 comments Shannon wrote: "Now, if only Wally Lamb and Erik Larson would publish new books also, my literary world would be complete! u..."

Love, love, love Erik Larson!

message 15: by Nathan (new)

Nathan Phillips | 9 comments This year has been a great year for fiction. Ian McEwan's "Sweet Tooth", Chabon's "Telegraph Avenue", Tom Wolfe's "Back to Blood" all within two months! Too good to be true. Not to mention "Round House" by Louise Edrich, "This Is How You Lose Her" by Junot Diaz. We also saw, with "Yellow Birds" a newcomer making a big splash.

I am hoping for a new McCarthy next year. Fingers crossed.

message 16: by Michael (new)

Michael (mkindness) | 537 comments Mod
Nathan wrote: "I am hoping for a new McCarthy next year. Fingers crossed. "

Which McCarthy?

message 17: by Callie (new)

Callie (calliekl) | 646 comments The next book in the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon is supposedly coming out next fall, and I can't even begin to describe how happy that makes me.

message 18: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 05, 2012 08:58PM) (new)

I believe Margaret Atwood's final book in the Maddaddam trilogy is slated for 2013. I think I could be persuaded to read that one :-D

message 19: by Eric (new)

Eric | 1175 comments Mod
Tanya/dog eared copy wrote: "I believe Margaret Atwood's final book in the Maddaddam trilogy is slated for 2013. I think I could be persuaded to read that one :-D"

Definitely!

message 20: by Bobbi (new)

Bobbi | 153 comments I'm a huge fan of Michael Connelly and very nearly preordered his new book, The Black Box for myself and as a birthday gift for my best friend. Fortunately, something told me to wait, and I'm so glad I did because I learned the other day that he will be making a personal appearance very close to where I live on January 15! I called immediately and made reservations, of course! The best part is: the aforementioned best friend, who lives in Ohio, is coming down for the luncheon, so we'll both get our books (personalized, of course!), feast on a great meal, and hear Michael Connelly speak - woo hoo!!!

message 21: by Nathan (new)

Nathan Phillips | 9 comments Michael wrote: "Nathan wrote: "I am hoping for a new McCarthy next year. Fingers crossed. "

Which McCarthy?"

Cormac McCarthy.
Have you any insider info????

message 22: by Kats (new)

Kats (Kats1) | 134 comments Katie wrote: "I agree about Rohinton Mistry. Would love to read another book of his. A Fine Balance and Family Matters are two of my favorite novels of all time. What a brilliant author! "

Katie, I just heard that Rohinton Mistry's new book is coming out in December 2013. I know it's still a year away, but as the saying goes in German "anticipation is the greatest of joys", so a whole year of looking forward - Yay!! :-)

message 23: by Janet (new)

Janet (JustJanet) | 790 comments Callie wrote: "The next book in the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon is supposedly coming out next fall, and I can't even begin to describe how happy that makes me."

Ditto!

message 24: by Stacie (new)

Stacie | 48 comments Can't wait for Neil Gaiman's "The Ocean at the End of the Lane" to be released June 18th. I already pre-ordered from amazon.