HCPL's Online Book Club discussion

What Are You Reading? > What Are You Reading? (November 2012)

Comments (showing 1-14 of 14) (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amanda (last edited Oct 31, 2012 09:22AM) (new)

Amanda Wilk (amandawilk47) | 106 comments In this discussion thread, share what you're currently reading and tell us what you think about it.

message 2: by Laura (new)

Laura | 2 comments Just finished the 19th wife in our book club. It ws rated 2-3 (out of 5) by most of the group. Now our November book is the Cat's table. THinking of trying the Red Tent. Also Lisa Genova's newest book might get a read this weekend

message 3: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Wilk (amandawilk47) | 106 comments Did you enjoy reading The 19th Wife?

The Cat's Table is a book that I've been meaning to read, because it looks like an interesting story. But right now I'm re-reading A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness (once of my favourite books from last year).
A Discovery of Witches (All Souls Trilogy, #1) by Deborah Harkness

message 4: by Deanna (new)

Deanna | 1 comments I'm looking forward to Discovery of Witches. Just waiting for my hold to come in, because all of our copies are out! In the meantime I have Dearie, a biography of Julia Child. Just finished Made from Scratch by Jenna Woginrich, her book about moving to the country and becoming a part time farmer. I have a HUGE pile of books waiting for me.

message 5: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Wilk (amandawilk47) | 106 comments This is my third time reading A Discovery of Witches(because I also re-read it right before the sequel Shadow of Night came out in July). But I also have a huge pile of books from the library waiting to be read. There's just too many good books, and not enough time!

message 6: by Erin, Branch Services Librarian (new)

Erin Kernohan (eekernohan) | 53 comments Mod
I'm reading Wind Through the Keyhole by Stephen King. It's part of his Dark Tower series which is a cowboy, knight, post-apocalyptic fantasy sci-fi western type of series.

Just borrowed Practical Jean as ebook for my Kindle for the November read, so will have to put down Keyhole for a bit. Nice thing about Dark Tower is you can put it down and come back and it's like meeting up with old friends.

message 7: by Helen (new)

Helen Power (helen-power) Right now, I'm reading Living with the Dead by Kelley Armstrong. I got this book signed by the author! Very exciting :)

message 8: by Don (new)

Don | 5 comments I'm currently re-reading S.K.'s The Dark Tower series. I love the series and this time, when I finish books 1-7, I'm going to follow up with Wind Through the Keyhole for the first time. Currently about half way through Wolves of the Calla (Book 5) so this should keep me occupied for a couple of more weeks.

message 9: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Coles (ccoles) | 37 comments After completely giving up on Bloodman, I'm on to One Good Hustle, which is awesome! The Giller Prize longlist has produced some excellent reading choices this year!

message 10: by Maryann (new)

Maryann (maryann21) | 25 comments Just finished Kathy Reichs new book, Bones are forever. Sorry to say but it was very predictable and almost formula written. The only thing that kept my interest was that it was set in Yellowknife. Even then she really missed the true excitement and culture that is Yellowknife.

message 11: by Don (new)

Don | 5 comments Done Wolves of the Calla ... On to Song of Susannah (DT #6) next

message 12: by Nicki (new)

Nicki (NickiBH) | 33 comments Just finished reading Lynn Crosbie's "Life is about Losing Everything" for Bookclub. We decided it must be a generational thing. No real story line, mostly a series of short journal entries that are part fantasy, part drug induced , part poetry. One quote I did like though
“I am slowly putting everything back together, which means holding the sharp, broken pieces and fitting them into an imperfect whole of my own design."
Our comments really upset the twenty- something aged daughter of our host who is a university student of the author and adores her hence why we decided it's a generational thing!

message 13: by Bessie, County Librarian (last edited Nov 22, 2012 05:35AM) (new)

Bessie Sullivan  (LibraryBabe) | 194 comments Mod
I am reading Rebel Heart by Moira Young, the second in the Dust Lands Triogy. The first was, Blood Red Road These are great read-a-likes for the The Hunger Games Trilogy Boxset as they feature a strong female main character and the fight for survival in a dystopian society.

message 14: by Don (new)

Don | 5 comments Done Song of Susannah and The Dark Tower (DT #6 & #7) and now reading The Wind Through the Keyhole (DT #4.5/8). It probably isn't for everyone but I love The Dark Tower. Now deciding what to read next.