Our History discussion

Historical Romance

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachael (new)

Rachael (rprensner) Is this too frivolous for this group? For some reason, I can' truly love a book without some romance. Could I have some suggestions?

message 2: by Annie (new)

Annie | 9 comments Try the Niccolo series by Dorothy Dunnett. Full of romance and intrigue and set in the latter half of the 15th c. I think there are 6 books all together, starting with Niccolo Rising.

message 3: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 6 comments I am currently reading Katherine by Anya Seton about Katherine Swynford and John of Gaunt. I haven't gotten too far in the book, but the little heading on the cover says "The Classic Love Story of Medieval England", so this may be what you are looking for. It's fiction, but seems to be very well researched.

The author Jean Plaidy wrote novels about english monarchs from william the conqueror to victoria, and some of them have some plots that I would consider romantic. Once again, they seem to be very well researched, so you get the history and a great story all in one! I know there's one called The Prince and the Quakerness about George III and a Quaker woman he loved when he was young. Mary, Queen of France kind of has a romantic plot; it's about Mary Tudor who goes to marry the King of France but really loves Charles Brandon, an englishman. The Goldsmith's Wife is also kind of romantic; it's about some king of england and his long time mistress (sorry, I forget which one). The Passionate Enemies is good - it's about Stephen and Matilda who are wild about each other, but they are also fighting for the crown. Some of these are not recently published, so you would have to buy them used or get them at the library. There are quite a few more in the Plantagenet series that tended to have a romantic twist. Check out

http://members.tripod.com/jeanplaidy/...

for a description of the books (you can also see descriptions of her other books). I'm not sure how much romance you are looking for, but I thought these might have at least a little of what you are looking for.

message 4: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitadavison) Absolutely, Blayre
Not frivolous at all. And just as a little self promotion here [It's not me, honestly, my publisher insists!] I write historical fiction and although I like to focus on a specific event, in my debut novel, Duking Days Rebellion, it's the Monmouth Rebellion. Romance is part of life and the men and women who lived through these times have personal stories which were played out against the historical backdrop. To me, that's the appeal of Historical Fiction.

message 5: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 6 comments Ooohh, Anita, that's wonderful that you are a writer! I would love to write historical fiction. Maybe someday! Is your book out yet?

message 6: by Ali (new)

Ali (alibubba) | 6 comments Try River God by Wilbur Smith. It's set in ancient Egypt and involves a great love story, among other things.

message 7: by Eastofoz (new)

Eastofoz Wilbur Smith's Egyptian series is excellent especially River God like Ali suggested. His Courtneys of Africa series is also packed with romance and adventure.

message 8: by Manuel (new)

Manuel | 14 comments This isnt a genre that I usually follow.
However I did enjoy reading:
"Love and Louis XIV: The Women in the Life of the Sun King" by Antonia Fraser.

I thought it was a really interesting look into the private life of Louis XIV. Detailing his relationships with his mother, sisters-in-law, nieces, his wife and all manner of mistresses.

I was really intrigued that in the end he fell in love with an older woman who was in charge of raising his bastards.

message 9: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 12 comments You might enjoy the bookshelves discussion at the European Royalty site group -- since a lot of that qualifies as historical romance/fiction (philippa gregory, jean plaidy, etc.)

message 10: by Marlaina (new)

Marlaina always there is Henry VIII and his six wives!