Horror Aficionados discussion

Authors > New Horror Authors

Comments (showing 1-17 of 17) (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (new)

David Beers | 23 comments It kinda worries me with King's age and such that the horror genre, while not die, will certainly fade some when he passes away.

Are there any writers you've seen over the past 5-10 years that have emerged which can carry the torch? Joe Hill comes to mind. Justin Evans.

Any others?

message 2: by Char (new)

Char | 16127 comments Mod
Robert McCammon
Kealan Patrick Burke
Lee Thompson
Joe Hill
Greg Gifune
Alan Ryker

To name just a few. : )

message 3: by Bob (new)

Bob | 73 comments I think S.Oberhansley has a great future in front of her. She has just published her first novel not too long ago. I'm just over half way through it and I love it. It's the type of book where the descriptions are so vivid that it runs in a movie in your head as your reading it and the characters in the book have depth to them which really makes you care what happens to them. Joe Hill is also another great writer whom I wish would write more novels. I'm really looking forward to his new one that will be coming out.

message 4: by Tom (new)

Tom Mueller | 69 comments Bob wrote: "I think S.Oberhansley has a great future in front of her. . . .h..."

Is this The Secret Room you're referring to? It does sound interesting; I've added to my TBR list.

message 5: by David (new)

David Beers | 23 comments I think I might read an Alan Ryker--we recently did a promotion together, so I'm going to check him out.

Thanks, everyone!

message 6: by Char (new)

Try , Burden Kansas David!

I'm waiting for his newest book which should be coming out any day now: The Hoard.

message 7: by David (new)

David Beers | 23 comments Will do! Where do you hear about all these guys at?

message 8: by Char (last edited Nov 02, 2012 08:23AM) (new)

I found Alan Ryker through a series of short story collections that he put together with a couple of other authors that I enjoy. Penny Dreadnought: Descartes' Demon. I liked his stories in there, so I looked for his book. Both Burden Kansas and the second book were excellent. (There are, I think 4 issues of Penny Dreadnoughts and I just read they are being collected in one volume.)
Kealan Patrick Burke I discovered through a friends recommendation. Then I read Kin and Stage Whispers: The Collected Timmy Quinn Stories and I was cemented as a fan forever.
I forgot how I came across Lee Thompson, but he is now hooked up with Darkfuse (which is also the publisher for Alan Ryker now as well as Greg Gifune who is another fantastic author, btw!)
For Lee Thomspon I would highly recommend When We Join Jesus In Hell and as for Greg Gifune, I would recommend The Bleeding Season.
If you come across someone new, please share.
Enjoy your reading!

message 9: by Bandit (new)

Bandit (lecturatoro) | 9804 comments My favorite recent discoveries has been

Daryl Gregory
Nate Kenyon
Jeff Strand

message 10: by Char (new)

Oh, Jeff Strand for sure!!

I just read a Nate Kenyon short in an anthology and I really enjoyed it. Bandit, what would you recommend from Mr. Kenyon?

message 11: by Max (new)

Max III (maxboothiii) I firmly believe Joe McKinney is one of the best rising horror writers of today. If you don't think so, I recommend reading his latest novel, Inheritance. The dude is fantastic.

message 12: by Char (new)

I've only read some shorts by McKinney so far, but what I've read I really liked.

message 13: by David (new)

David Beers | 23 comments Charlene,

Grabbed When We Meet Jesus in Hell last night.

Thanks for the recco, I can already tell Mr. Thompson and I are going to get along just fine.

message 14: by Char (new)

David wrote: "Charlene,

Grabbed When We Meet Jesus in Hell last night.

Thanks for the recco, I can already tell Mr. Thompson and I are going to get along just fine."

David, I truly think that story ROCKED!
I just welcomed you in the Introduce yourself thread, but welcome again!

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Bryan Smith and Wrath James White

message 16: by Robb (new)

Robb Bridson | 173 comments Sarah Langan

message 17: by Todd (new)

Todd Russell (toddrussell) | 366 comments Horror won't die when Stephen King dies, David. There are several very talented horror writers that will keep the torch burning. You'll hear plenty of good names in this group :)

Plus King is in his mid sixties, he's got lots of mileage left, assuming he doesn't want to retire (he talked about it once after his auto accident, but then couldn't stay away). As productive as King continues to be, we can probably expect another 20+ books from him.