Historical Romance discussion

Favorites

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachael (new)

Rachael (rprensner) Historical Romance is my faovrite genre- but it's somewhat rare; recomendations are hard to get. So, what are your favorites- the ones most worth reading?
Here are mine:
Redeeming Love- Francine Rivers
Brooklyn Rose- Rinaldi
Bound- Jo Napoli

message 2: by Janelle (new)

Janelle Fluharty (Jnel) | 1 comments Hi Everyone! Historical romance is my favorite genre as well but, I must admit, I am rather picky and have a few favorite authors that I follow. I tend to like authors that write in a series, so that favorite characters are revisited over time. My recommendations are as follows:

Catherine Coulter: The Bride (Sherbrooke family) series (1800's England; The Sherbrooke Bride, The Hellion Bride, The Heiress Bride, The Scottish Bride, The Sherbrooke Twins, Lyon's Gate, Wizard's Daughter); The Song series (1200's England; Chandra, Fire Song, Earth Song, Wind Song) - and, lots of other great books that feature secondary characters from the Bride series of books.

Julie Garwood: (1800's England; Guardian Angel, The Lion's Lady, The Gift, Castles); (1100's Scotland; The Secret; The Bride, The Wedding, Ransom, Shadow Music); (1200's Scotland; Saving Grace); The Rose series (1800's American West; For the Roses, One Pink Rose, One White Rose, One Red Rose, Come the Spring); all her other historicals are phenomenal, just not part of a series

Johanna Lindsey: love all her historicals but I especially recommend - The Anderson family series (1800's England; Love Only Once, Tender Rebel, Gentle Rogue, The Magic of You, Say You Love Me, The Present, A Loving Scoundrel, Captive of My Desires); (800's Norway; Fires of Winter, Hearts Aflame, Surrender My Love); Warrior series (Future; Warrior's Woman, Keeper of the Heart, Heart of a Warrior)

Andrea Kane: all of her historicals are fantastic!

Elizabeth Lowell: (England, reign of Henry I; Untamed, Enchanted, Forbidden, Moving Target (contemporary but finishes out the series))

Judith McNaught: all of her historicals

Mary Jo Putney: (England, 1800's; Thunder and Roses, Petals in the Storm, Dancing on the Wind, Shattered Rainbows, Angel Rogue, River of Fire, One Perfect Rose); The Guardian series (1800's England)

I'm sure I am forgetting some but these are certainly most of my faves. Would love to hear from other people regarding their recommendations! Happy New Year :-)

message 3: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 4 comments Mod
Blayre, I haven't read any of your favorites, I'll have to go out and get them. Thanks for you input!

Janelle, I think you hit every one of my favorite authors, except Julia Quinn. I loved her Bridgerton series.

message 4: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 4 comments Mod
Catherine Coulter's new book, The Wizard's Daughter, was a really good read. I enjoyed it, reminded me of some of her earlier stuff, the Legacy series. It's out in paperback, definately worth picking it up!

message 5: by April (new)

April | 4 comments I agree it is very hard to find new authors to read--I am very picky too!! I just Johanna Lindsey would start writing like she did in the past (her last few books were not up to snuff in my opinion). I also kind of miss Julie Garwood's historical romances--I'm not big into contemporary romance books. Has anyone read Catherine Anderson's books? I read the preview for "Simply Love" from the Barnes and Noble website and ended up buying the book. I haven't gotten too far into it, but I was curious to hear what others thought about her writing.

message 6: by Innerpeace1081 (last edited Jan 11, 2008 10:20PM) (new)

Innerpeace1081 | 3 comments I have too many to list. To name a few J.Lindsey, Julie Garwood, Amanda quick, Stephanie Laurens, Eloisa James... you know what anyone who wants my historical romance book list just pm me your email address and I will send it to you. It's rather lengthy.

message 7: by April (new)

April | 4 comments I finished "Simply Love" by Catherine Anderson and I can't decide if I liked it or not. I know that sounds crazy, but her style of writing didn't seem as "poetic" as in many of the authors listed. Has anyone else read one of her books? What was your opinion about it? I am currently reading another one by her, but haven't really gotten into it yet--the joy of working two jobs!!

message 8: by Ann (new)

Ann Noell (fantasyannie) Historical Romance is my all time favorite. Some of my favorite authors are Amanda Quick aka Jayne Ann Krentz, Christina Dodd, Mary Jo Putney, Teresa Medeiros, Julie Garwood, Shannon Drake,Virginia Henley, Rexanne Becnel; just to name a few. Right new I'm reading one by Teresa Medeiros but it is a Vampire romance. Looking forward to making new friends and talking about the books we love.

message 9: by Ann (new)

Ann Noell (fantasyannie) I loved Mary Jo Putney's guardian series, she has a new one coming out but can't think of the name. You are the only other person that I have talked to that has read it.

message 10: by Hanley (new)

Hanley | 2 comments Hello, everyone! I am so glad that there is a Historical Romance group. One of my greatest guilty pleasures.

I agree with every suggestion I've read thus far, and Kelly, I ADORE the Bridgerton series by Julia Quinn. She has such a sharp wit and a talent with dialogue. It was very difficult to say goodbye to her wonderful characters when I finished the last one. Of that series, Penelope and Colin's story (Romancing Mr. Bridgerton) is my favorite. Quinn did a great job of building up your affection for those two in the stories that lead up to their own.

Here are some of my suggestions:

The Perfect Wife, by Jane Goodger -- This is my absolute favorite of all time. It isn't particularly grand, but all of her characters are incredibly rich, and the story is beautifully contructed and fun. I re-read it every once in a while when I find myself getting cynical. Also, the book is set in Newport, RI during the Guilded Age, which is enjoyable after so many Regency novels.

Rebecca, by Daphne du Maurier -- A classic romantic mystery story told in the first person by a young woman whose name, fascinatingly enough, you never learn. Have any of you all seen the movie with Laurence Olivier and Joan Fontaine? It's also Alfred Hitchcock's directorial debut. Fantastic! Although no steamy love scenes, sadly.

Philippa Gregory has a whole series out about the Tudors that I've really been enjoying. It's more Historical than Romantic and more Fictional than Historical, but her writing style intrigues me. So far I've read and would recommend "The Other Boleyn Girl" and "The Constant Princess."

Anything by Victoria Holt. Old-fashioned awesomeness. Especially "Mistress of Mellyn," which is governess-falls-in-love-with-mysterious-master-of-the-house-with-a-shady-past at its best.

And... that's about it for now. Yummy reading to you all!

message 11: by Manju (new)

Manju | 5 comments I read everything but my guilty pleasure is HISTORICAL ROMANCE.
Looks like the earlier posts have all covered my favorites except for one author: Lisa Kleypas - she also has series and repeating characters.
I haven't read any by Catherine Anderson or Victoria Holt- seems like she has been getting good reviews (I searched amazon). Hey April, I will definitely let you know.
My top author is Judith McNaught - her historicals are so good.
Johanna Lindsey and Catherine Coulter have not been upto snuff for the recent books.

message 12: by Tammy (new)

Tammy (tammymerlot) Hi everyone! I'm new here too.

Lisa Kleypas is definitely one of my favorite authors. "Dreaming of You", "Suddenly You" and the Wallflower series ("Devil in Winter" is great!) are her best novels. I didn't care too much for her most recent novel "Mine Til Midnight". The ending was very rushed and non-conclusive.

I recently discovered Rona Sharon. "Once A Rake" is a great book if you like your romances sugary and sweet. Has anyone read her first novel "My Wicked Pirate"? I've been searching for a copy of it.

I look forward to getting to know all of you!

message 13: by Hanley (new)

Hanley | 2 comments Have any of you all read Eugenia Price? She's a phenomenal Southern American author whose novels are now officially out of print, with the exception of her St. Simons Island series. If you happen to stumble upon one, I recommend snapping it up before they're all gone. "Bright Captivity" is probably her most famous and my personal favorite. Her novels usually center around the plight of southern families in the midst of war, slavery, etc.

Manju, I love Judith McNaught, too! Ironically, I've only read her more contemporary stuff, so I absolutely have to get into her historicals. I've never read Lisa Kleypas or Rona Sharon. Thank you for the suggestions, Tammy!

message 14: by Innerpeace1081 (new)

Innerpeace1081 | 3 comments I love the wallflower series as well. Particularly "Devil in the Winter"... it's just something about St. Vincent which sets him apart from the others... Goodness just thinking about it makes me want to go and read it again.... :)

I love Judith McNaught's historicals and have read them repeatedly.

Tammy, it seems like we have similar interests because just last night I picked up a copy of Rona Sharon's "Once a rake." It sounded really good in the bookstore and I am glad to hear someone stay that it was good. Now I can't wait to read it!!!!
I

message 15: by Tammy (new)

Tammy (tammymerlot) Innerpeace:

You will love "Once a Rake". I am a HUGE sucker for reunion romances. "Once a Rake" came highly recommended to me in a discussion thread on the romance forum of Amazon.con - I had asked for recommendations of reunion romances. If you haven't done so yet, go to Rona Sharon's website and read the his/her perspectives of this book!

http://www.ronasharon.com/booklist_oa...

The only thing I didn't like about this book was Ashby's first name - Paris. It kept reminding me of the Hiltons!

Hanley and Manju:

Oddly enough, I have never read any of Judith McNaught's historicals either. I have read "Paradise" (another reunion romance that came highly recommended to me). I normally read contemporaries and switch to historicals when I crave a change. Do you have any favorite McNaught historicals?

Tammy = )

message 16: by Laurie (new)

Laurie Sorensen (Laurie_Sorensen) | 3 comments Hi Hanley...

I love Eugenia Price, her Stranger in Savannah books are awesome...another favorite is Catherine Coulter, her historicals are the best, I have yet to be able to sit down and read her latest one The Wizards Daughter, but I fully intend too...I can read just about anything, but historicals remain my favorite, which I think is the reason why I write historicals, my first book came out on August 16th last year from Light Sword Publishing, entitled Ravenwood: Night's Salvation, if you are interested in reading an excerpt of two of it, I have them posted on my profile, currently I am working on getting the second in the series done. I love being part of this group, and I am very glad I found it, I have discovered several books I want to find to read.

Laurie Sorensen
www.lightswordpublishing.com
www.myspace.com/nights_salvation
www.freewebs.com/lauriesorensen
Take flight on the wings of romance.

message 17: by Manju (new)

Manju | 5 comments Hey Tammy,
Judith Mcnaught my all time favorite is Whitney my love in historical and Perfect in contemporary. I have lost count of the number of times I have re-read these books.
--Manju

message 18: by Innerpeace1081 (new)

Innerpeace1081 | 3 comments Tammy,

Could you give me other examples of reunion novels?

message 19: by Tammy (new)

Tammy (tammymerlot) Innerpeace:

There is a very good list of reunion romances, broken down by genre, on this website ...

http://www.likesbooks.com/reunited.html

Besides "Once a Rake", another one of my favorite reunion romances would be "Must Love Mistletoe". It is a fun, light-hearted read with a very sexy hero. = )

Manju:

Thanks for the recommendation. I saw "Whitney My Love" at my local bookstore. I will have to pick up a copy. I've seen several posts about it in the discussion forums on Amazon also!

message 20: by Ann (new)

Ann Noell (fantasyannie) has anyone read Jill Barnett? If you want a good laugh and I mean lol read Just a Kiss away; and if you want a good cry read Candle in the Window by Chirstine Dodd, this was her first book and it is wonderful.

message 21: by Tammy (new)

Tammy (tammymerlot) I just thought of another great reunion romance (an old historical). "Tempt Me Not" by Eve Byron. I had to search for it and finally found a used copy on Amazon. Great book!

One I would NOT recommend is Rachel Gibson's "I'm In No Mood For Love". I hated this book!

message 22: by Kimberlee (new)

Kimberlee | 1 comments I am glad I found this group. I truly enjoy this genre as it is the perfect escape from the realities of work and kids. I LOVE Julia Quinn and the Bridgerton novel, Lisa Kleypas is wonderful. I am suprised not to see Stephanie Laurens with the Cynster (although some are better then others) and the Bastion Club which I really enjoy. Eloisa James is another author I really enjoy and find that her books (Read the Essex sisters!!) are a good and quick read. My latest author is Victoria Alexander and the Effington Family. As you can see I enjoy the stories that follow families or familiar characters. My biggest challenge is what to do when I read all of one author. Trying a new author always scares me!!! I was happy to see some names in here that I have been looking at but nervous to try. Also if you haven't read Jennifer Ashley's Penelope & Prince Charming you are missing out...

message 23: by Manju (new)

Manju | 5 comments Oh yes Ann, I loved Candle in the window even though I read it after I read a lot of other books by Christine Dodd. She is also pretty good.

message 24: by Manju (new)

Manju | 5 comments Kimberlee, Oh I thought I mentioned Stephanie Laurens. Cynster and BAstion are two good series with more dash of mysteries rather than romance - which is why i really like them a lot.
Another series I really liked a lot are the Governess series by Christina Dodd.
-Manju

message 25: by April (new)

April | 4 comments Kimberlee, I totally understand your fear in trying to find a new author once you've read all the books of one author. I am kind of in that situation right now. I hate spending the money when I'm not sure I'll even like the book. I did get lucky when I took a chance on Heather Graham's books. She has written a couple of series that were pretty good. The first series was The McKenzie Chronicles. There are six books in the series (I think the first one is "Runaway"). She has also written a three book series before/during/after the Civil War. The first book, "One Wore Blue", is about one brother in the family that fights for the North. The second, "And One Wore Gray", is about the other brother that fights for the South. The third book, "And One Rode West", is about their younger sister. You might give them a try and let me know if you liked them. Happy Reading!!