Reading the Classics discussion

Side Reads > David Copperfield Chapters 49-56

Comments (showing 1-7 of 7) (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer  | 207 comments Please place comments pertaining to chapters 49 through 46 under this thread.

message 2: by Alana (new)

Alana (alanasbooks) | 722 comments At chapter 52. It's been interesting to see the changes in Dora during this section. At first I just wanted to shake her for being so selfish, but she does get a little better after awhile, or at least more reasonable. But I think she's mostly better because she's just not referred to very often so we're able to ignore her.

I think the person I have most grown to like, though, is Betsey Trotwood, who was so astonishing when we were first introduced to her. She's one of the kindest people in the whole book and sees character rather than station, loves straightforwardness and can't stand silly people (though her own silly tendencies make her rather ironic). She treats all of David's friends and companions with great respect and talks down to those that deserve it. I certainly never would have expected this from her after the first chapter! I'm curious what else we will see of her by the end.

message 3: by Alana (new)

Alana (alanasbooks) | 722 comments I'll admit, I had to skim a large section of chapter 52. Mr. Micawber's speech was so dry, lengthy and wordy that my brain wandered over and over again and I had to read the sparknotes summary. I was pleased to see Uriah Heep "get his," however. If only ALL criminals and unscrupulous characters got the payment for their misdeeds.

message 4: by Brian (new)

Brian (myersb68) | 62 comments At 49: is anyone else sick to yawning death of the wheedling, freeloading Mr Micawber?

message 5: by Alana (new)

Alana (alanasbooks) | 722 comments Mr. Micawber is annoying as crap, yet somehow I like him. He's like that annoying guy you just can't help but like. Then again, I listened on audio and the way his voice was done was hilarious and rather endearing. If I knew him in person, though, I think he would drive me crazy. As a character, though, I find him interesting, if rather repetitive.

message 6: by Denise (new)

Denise (Dulcinea3) | 132 comments I love Micawber, he's the eternal optimist!

message 7: by ❆ Crystal ❆ (last edited Apr 28, 2016 08:37AM) (new)

❆ Crystal ❆ (Crystal_Wright) | 38 comments I like Micawber, but Dora drove me nuts. I can't believe how ridiculous she was. David was sooooooooooo patient with her. I love that Betsey told him that he chose her. So, whatever faults she had he just had to accept them. Personally, I can't believe how she could be happy and fine with things as they were... Letting staff rob them, eating bad food, etc. It's nice that he could admit that he did love her, but he may not have been able to love her forever. I'm pretty sure she would have driven me up the wall and down the other side. I was surprised how nice Betsey was to her... Usually she just says it how it is, but even she pampered Dora. GAG.