SciFi and Fantasy Book Club discussion

Member's Chat > Vote for goodreads Choice Award: Fantasy

Comments (showing 1-16 of 16) (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael (last edited Oct 30, 2012 06:26PM) (new)

Michael (MichaelJSullivan) | 110 comments It's that time of year again. Fifteen books have been nominated in 20 categories, including Fiction, Nonfiction, Mystery, Memoir, Young Adult Fantasy, and many more. Voting is open to all 12 million Goodreads members, and winners will be announced in December.

Go vote for your favorite here.

Instead of consulting publishing experts or a judging panel, goodreads looks to readers to find the best books of the year. We analyze statistics from the 170 million books added, rated, and reviewed on the site in 2012 and nominate based on a book's number of ratings and average rating. So a nomination is truly an honor because it comes straight from the readers!

Alif the Unseen by G. Willow Wilson
Bridge of Dreams by Anne Bishop
Casket of Souls by Lynn Flewelling
City of Dragons by Robin Hobb
King of Thorns by Mark Lawrence
Percepliquis by Michael J. Sullivan
Some Kind Of Fairy Tale by Graham Joyce
The Blinding Knife by Brent Weeks
The First Confessor by Terry Goodkind
The Killing Moon by N.K. Jemisin
The King's Blood by Daniel Abraham
The Traitor Queen by Trudi Canavan
The Wind Through the Keyhole by Stephen King
The Woman Who Died A Lot by Jasper Fforde
Throne of the Crescent Moon by Saladin Ahmed

Alif the Unseen by G. Willow Wilson Bridge of Dreams (Ephemera, #3) by Anne Bishop Casket of Souls (Nightrunner, #6) by Lynn Flewelling City of Dragons (The Rain Wild Chronicles #3) by Robin Hobb King of Thorns (The Broken Empire, #2) by Mark Lawrence
Percepliquis (The Riyria Revelations, #6) by Michael J. Sullivan Some Kind Of Fairy Tale by Graham Joyce The Blinding Knife (Lightbringer, #2) by Brent Weeks The First Confessor (The Legend of Magda Searus, #1) by Terry Goodkind The Killing Moon (Dreamblood, #1) by N.K. Jemisin
The King's Blood (The Dagger and the Coin, #2) by Daniel Abraham The Traitor Queen (Traitor Spy Trilogy, #3) by Trudi Canavan The Wind Through the Keyhole (The Dark Tower, #4.5) by Stephen King The Woman Who Died A Lot (Thursday Next. #7) by Jasper Fforde Throne of the Crescent Moon (The Crescent Moon Kingdoms, #1) by Saladin Ahmed

message 2: by Peter (new)

Peter | 39 comments I seem to not have read any of the books nominated.

Am I missing out?

message 3: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 883 comments The only one I've read from this list is the Stephen King. And while I've been a huge King fan for decades, I wasn't crazy about this one.

Of the remaining, there are several authors I like a lot, I just haven't gotten around to the current releases.

message 4: by Carol. (new)

Carol.  | 252 comments The Killling Moon was a 5 star read for me.

message 5: by Jenelle (new)

Jenelle I have not read any of these, and most of the authors are unfamiliar (what is WRONG with me?), but I have enjoyed every Jasper Fforde book I've read :)

message 6: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (Sleo) Carol wrote: "The Killling Moon was a 5 star read for me."

I voted for that one.

message 7: by Greyweather (new)

Greyweather | 234 comments Peter wrote: "I seem to not have read any of the books nominated."

You can do a write-in vote for something from 2012 that you have read.

message 8: by Peter (new)

Peter | 39 comments Greyweather wrote: "Peter wrote: "I seem to not have read any of the books nominated."

You can do a write-in vote for something from 2012 that you have read."

I seem to have read no books that were published in 2012. The most recent book I read was published in december 2011. the only thing from 2012 I have read are some comics

message 9: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) Hands down, no fantasy I've read this year is better than The Blinding Knife, which is what I voted for.

message 10: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. I did write ins for the categories that I hadn't read any of the books nominated.

message 11: by Michael (new)

Michael (MichaelJSullivan) | 110 comments @Carolyn - oh a good reminder. There are 5 spots that will be added to the voting as "write-ins"

message 12: by Sysilouhi (new)

Sysilouhi | 20 comments Hmm, haven't really read many of these but Flewelling's Casket of Souls was awesome so my vote goes for that.

Btw. Has anyone read The Traitor Queen, if so, was it any good? I was so disappointed in the previous book in the series that I still haven't gotten around reading it.

message 13: by Maria (new)

Maria | 5 comments I read The Traitor Queen but I must say that I read this because I wanted to finish the saga. I enjoyed very much first 3 books of the saga.

message 14: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 03, 2012 11:56AM) (new)

The Blinding Knife by Brent Weeks

The guy knows what he's writing about. Robin Hobb comes a close second but The Blinding Knife was by far the most interesting and well-detailed fantasy novel.

message 15: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) Uncommon Sellsword wrote: "The Blinding Knife by Brent Weeks

The guy knows what he's writing about. Robin Hobb comes a close second but The Blinding Knife was by far the most interesting and well-detailed fantasy novel."

I would have to agree with you on that.

message 16: by Al (new)

Al Philipson (printersdevil) | 93 comments Peter wrote: "I seem to not have read any of the books nominated.

Am I missing out?"

Nor have I. The best Book of the Year surveys allow add-ons and are conducted AFTER the year is over so that all books published in the year are available.