The Sword and Laser discussion

TV, Movies and Games > Elementary -- Sherlock Holmes tv show

Comments (showing 1-29 of 29) (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Thurman (new)

Thurman (nycblkboy) | 145 comments Any watch "Elementary"? Its a tv show based on Sherlock Holmes. I thought it was very good. Especially episode 3.

Before I add spoilers I want to see if anyone has seen it.

message 2: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 5139 comments Mod
I've been watching it. Still haven't decided if I like it or not. Episode 3 was better because it wasn't directly about murder. I really hope it's a mystery of the week show and not simply a body of the week show. Already too many others like that.

message 3: by Leesa (new)

Leesa (leesalogic) | 506 comments I am liking it quite a bit. Love Lucy Liu.

message 4: by Linguana (new)

Linguana | 137 comments I watched the first three episodes of "Elementary" as well and thought they were okay.
Then I watched "Sherlock" (BBC) and was blown away. There is no comparison! I can't wait for season 3 to come out while I've abandoned "Elementary" without so much as a "meh".

message 5: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 3636 comments I watched the pilot and wasn't particularly impressed. It didn't feel like a Sherlock Holmes story to me, more like any of the other "mystery dramas" on TV. If later in the season, people say it's worth catching up on, I'll watch it on demand or something.

I too love BBC's Sherlock.

message 6: by Jason (new)

Jason Bergman (loonyboi) | 166 comments I enjoy it! The pilot wasn't bad, but it was a little too CSI. The episodes since then have gotten better.

Comparing it to the BBC show isn't fair. It's its own thing, and I enjoy it on those grounds.

message 7: by Tina (new)

Tina (javabird) | 551 comments I've only seen the pilot so far, and I really wanted to like it. I thought the acting was terrific. But I did not care for the "kindler, gentler" Sherlock. One of the things that makes Holmes such an interesting character is his detachment.

message 8: by Dharmakirti (last edited Oct 31, 2012 01:31PM) (new)

Dharmakirti | 942 comments I tend to avoid procedurals but I tuned in to the pilot because a)I like Sherlock Holmes stories and b)Lucy Liu.

The pilot was interesting enough to get me to add the show to my DVR and I've yet to be dissapointed by the series.

message 9: by Emily (new)

Emily (MissMaita) | 3 comments My problem is that they advertise Elementary as Sherlock Holmes. But I find it's more like The Mentalist than Sherlock Holmes. I thought I was going to have more of an issue with Lucy Liu as Watson, but I find her to be the only palatable part of the show. If they were going for police procedural it would be great, but they promised me Sherlock Holmes and it's not. I'll wait for BBC to make the next 3 episodes, thank you.

message 10: by Paul (new)

Paul Harmon (TheSaint08D) | 639 comments Although I LOVE BBC's Sherlock I do enjoy Elementary a great Deal. Sherlock is Better yes but I see them differently so it doesnt effect my enjoyment. Both Are good but are in different worlds, different takes on Holmes.

message 11: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new)

Tassie Dave | 2238 comments Mod
I watched the pilot and it was "ok". Just not enough to make me want to watch any more.

I enjoyed Lucy Liu as Watson. The Sherlock guy not so much.

message 12: by Jim (last edited Nov 01, 2012 03:41PM) (new)

Jim (kskryptonian) | 202 comments My wife has been siting at her computer and writing a lot of posts over on tumblr teaching the Sherlock fan kids about how they are wrong a lot when it comes to Elementary. The kids are bitching about things they think were "ripped off" of Sherlock that are actually part of the original books. Internalized misogyny (where women act misogynistic to other women) about the fact that there have been at least six other female Watsons on film. They get all upset about Tobias Griegson (a name of the cop in NY, but lovingly lifted from A Study in Scarlet).

My wife does think the show has too predictable mysteries, but she is editing two books about Holmes which will be announced soon.

I think it's fun to troll children who never actually read Doyle and complain that both shows steal from House MD. I also am trying to get Elementary fans to call themselves ELEMENTALS so I can use Battletech clan speak again, quiaff?

Edit: Also, Elementary is better because it gets a full season. That's like Nine seasons of Sherlock in one year. Do the math.

message 13: by Eliste (new)

Eliste | 31 comments My only quibble with this show is that it had the misfortune or bad planning to come out whole the BBC's Sherlock is fresh is everyone's minds.

I quite like Johnny Lee Miller in the role.

message 14: by Thurman (new)

Thurman (nycblkboy) | 145 comments EPISODE 3 SPOILER!

(view spoiler)

message 15: by Tim (new)

Tim | 380 comments Missed the first two - too busy writing, but I've got them on catchup now, and I've set the Sky box to record the rest

message 16: by Blair (new)

Blair Beveridge | 8 comments I am enjoying this show, as I do Sherlock. They are both modern day takes that go in opposite directions. There is plenty of room for both of them in my life :)

message 17: by Rob, Roberator (new)

This week's episode was another murder. I may give it one more week. It's just not interesting enough for me if they make it another body a week show.

There are so many other types of crime he could be solving. I'm not saying they shouldn't EVER use murder as the crime..but it's been every week but 1..and that was a kidnapper/serial killer where the current victim was still alive/savable so pretty close.

message 18: by Tim (new)

Tim | 380 comments Seen the pilot now. Enjoyed it. I thought the two leads were very good (plus I like New York :))

message 19: by Linguana (last edited Nov 07, 2012 05:00AM) (new)

Linguana | 137 comments Darren wrote: "Yeah. Sherlock is awesome. Moriarty is great. Unfortunately, three episodes is a whole series, which is short even for the BBC. "

I know. I could have cried when I found out.
But at least they're long episodes. 90 minutes of pure Sherlock joy!

message 20: by Darren (new)

Darren Humphries (Darrenhf) | 96 comments This is OK, but why take out everything that made it identifiably Sherlock Holmes and then keep the name? It could be any moderately quirky investigator in any detective show.

message 21: by Curt (new)

Curt Eskridge | 90 comments I've been listening my ways through the Holmes stories. I watched the Jeremy Britt Holmes when they first ran. I love Sherlock and I like Elementary.

Elementary is definitely Holmes light but a recovering Sherlock is an interesting idea. I think that the show is a reaction to Elementary- CBS asked the British production company to create an american version of Sherlock but they passed. It's not like Holmes hasn't been modernized before so that isn't new. There certainly is plenty of room for a different take on that idea.

The second batch of Sherlock hit Netflix recently so there are now six there.

message 22: by Tim (new)

Tim | 380 comments I can't help wondering why they bothered casting Jonny Lee Miller as Holmes. There is nothing English about him whatsoever (Holmes I mean, not JLM, who of course is English) beyond the accent. There is nothing in the words he says or the way he says them that is remotely 'English'. He's just playing an American with an english accent. Which is a shame really. Just imagine how good it would have been if they'd had Joss Whedon writing it. Now there's a man who *can* write a convincing English character.

Oh, and the last episode I saw, the one with the light aircraft crash on the beach... Finally a topic I actually know something about! What a crock of shite it was! To misquote a movie I saw recently (title anyone? ;)), It had more inaccurate things than accurate things. If that's the standard of research they did for something that is supposed to be all about deductive and logical reasoning, finding the *facts* Well, let's just say that given how sloppily written the main character is, I'm not that surprised about how sloppy their "facts" are.

(btw, the basic premise was sound - stuff a body in the back of a light aircraft, and the CofG could be so far aft that the plane crashes on takeoff. but the execution was terrible... there is no black box in that kind of plane, and even if there was it would be nothing like that monstrosity they waved around. And there is no "cargo hold" either, any more than there' a cargo hold in the average family hatchback. Just two of many...)

message 23: by Rob, Roberator (new)

I've fallen behind on the series. Like 2 or 3 episodes now. It's increasing likely I won't bother catching up.

message 24: by Josh (new)

Josh Morgan (bookbum9) | 9 comments Sherlock is staying true to the orginal story and elementary is going the opposite direction and it makes it interesting. If you know the orginal stories you can enjoy Sherlock and Elementary you never know whats going to happen.

message 25: by Rob, Roberator (new)

I'm just bored because every week is a murder.

Apparently I must be the only American whose interested in a crime show about something OTHER than murder considering how many Body a week shows there are these days.

Or at least such a small demographic that TV studios don't feel they can do a crime show that doesn't involve murder (or sexual assault if you want to throw L&O:SVU in the mix) anymore.

I don't want it to try to mimic Sherlock, but they could try mixing things up with a robbery or con or something. How about he uncovers a nice conspiracy or something?

The books involves a variety of crimes. I had hoped at least that would be the case in the show. Ah well.

message 26: by Paul (new)

Paul Harmon (TheSaint08D) | 639 comments Ok, you have a point. But I still love the show because of the character, But yeah something different would be good.

message 27: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Mostly, but there is blackmail and a lot more plotting/intrigue in Sherlock.

message 28: by KevBayer (new)

KevBayer (SporadicReviews) | 489 comments The wife and I are catching up on Elementary. I'm enjoying it; I'm not crazy about it like Sherlock, but I'm enjoying it.

The "I'm your rehab companion, you had a drug problem" thing is kind of tired already. I like the three main players.

I, too, grow tired of murder shows/"Police Procedurals."

There was a scene in one of the more recent episodes that I got a kick out of: Holmes was in the police station and went to get some chips from the vending machine. The Captain came and got him before he had a chance to get the chips, and as they walked away, Holmes tossed a very slight glance of longing over his shoulder at the vending machine, and then kind of fumbled with the dollar bill for a bit before tucking it in his pocket. It was very ...natural, and subtle.

message 29: by Mapleson (new)

Mapleson | 94 comments Sherlock may only have 3 'episodes' per season, but each is the length of a feature film. Really, they can't be compared and wouldn't be except they both happen to be on the air at the same time.

On Elementary, I enjoy the more personalized back story and odd ball antics. I like how Lucy Lui's character keeps digging at his past, even though she's been warned. I wish that it had more subtle clues along the way that the audience might pick up on, rather than just Sherlock picking it out straight away and revealing it to all and sundry.

Regardless of the particular take, any Sherlock Holmes show/film is going to come off as a "police procedural" as that's basically what Doyle wrote for his day and age. Doyle, himself, grew tired of Sherlock and tried to kill him off, but not even destiny's designer could keep the Inspector from returning.