Goodreads Feedback discussion

Suggestions & Questions > Goodreads Choice Awards once again leaves off the last two months of the year

Comments (showing 1-26 of 26) (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 8933 comments We've asked; it doesn't look as though we've got?

I have a banner on my home page telling me I can vote for the Goodreads Choice Awards now.

I haven't clicked it/voted yet, but I assume it's not for November through October. (If I am wrong, apologies!!!)

I enjoy voting in and seeing the results of these awards.

But I still say we should vote during the month of January for the pervious year.

I recently finished an advance copy of a book that's due out today. There are many books still to be published during this coming November and December. I hate that they're left out of the running.

message 2: by Kara (last edited Oct 30, 2012 11:55AM) (new)

Kara | 1580 comments Mod
Lisa wrote: "We've asked; it doesn't look as though we've got?

I have a banner on my home page telling me I can vote for the Goodreads Choice Awards now.

I haven't clicked it/voted yet, but I assume it's not ..."

The 2012 Goodreads Choice Awards will cover books from November 29, 2011 to November 25, 2012.

Book published between November 26, 2012 and December 31, 2012 will be eligible for next year's awards.

message 3: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2221 comments my understanding is that it encompasses November/December 2011, through end of October this year - so they aren't truely being left off, just not included in the year you would think that they should be in

Elizabeth (Alaska) Not interested in New Releases.

message 5: by Kara (new)

Kara (KaraAyako) | 83 comments Thanks for clarifying, Kara--I was wondering about that too.

What happens with the books that are published in the month of November, though? Doesn't that put them at a huge disadvantage because they haven't been published yet as of the voting, so the general public hasn't had a chance to read them and make up their minds about the books?

message 6: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 8933 comments Thank you, Kara. I'm very glad to hear that!

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 140 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Not interested in New Releases."

Then why on earth would you even bother coming into this thread to comment?

Elizabeth (Alaska) Sarah Pi wrote: "Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Not interested in New Releases."

Then why on earth would you even bother coming into this thread to comment?"

Because, even though I know GR doesn't care, most who use this site don't give a rat's A$$ about GR Choice awards and further they need to look at site problems instead of blowing their own horn.

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) | 9 comments Ummmm....I'm enjoying seeing the votes in the feeds. Interesting ( and hopefully lots of write-ins to see what everyone's favorites are despite hat it does to my TBR pile).

I agree should have a delay factor to give books a chance to actually be read. I have some just released ones I might have voted for but haven't had a chance to read yet. I sometimes wait for secondhand copies or paperback releases before buying (only for favorite authors do I pre-order hardcovers).

At the risk of complicating the thing, I'd also like to see hardcover, paperback and audio book releases in separate contests based on respective release dates. Might be a completely different contest.

(LOL, need some sort of release dates instead of "all time favorite" though or the categories would be dominated by Harry Potter, 50 Shades of Grey, Twilight, Lord of the Rings, etc. regardless of genre)

message 10: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Oct 30, 2012 12:54PM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) | 9 comments I have no clue what to vote on in the nonfiction section. That just covers too much territory. A true tale of something, a car repair book that helped, study guide that helped me with a tech certification, favorite research aide, favorite reference book or almanac, book of Christmas ideas....at least they did separate out the cookbooks.

message 11: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 8933 comments I'd still like it better if we voted all throughout January for books published the previous year, and I'd be fine with the results not being available until sometime in February, or even March 1st, in order to give people time to read the books in which they have interest.

message 12: by MissJessie (new)

MissJessie | 1712 comments I presume that now that the People's Choice Awards are up and running, the issues of slow loading, etc. ad nauseum will now be addressed?

Comments, please..

message 13: by Petra X (new)

Petra X (PetraX) | 5937 comments I think that among other things this was designed to totally distract us from the UGB and let us have something else to rant about. Since that seems to have happened, there must be a certain amount of told-you-so type smiles on the faces of TPTB staff.

Elizabeth (Alaska) Petra X wrote: "I think that among other things this was designed to totally distract us from the UGB and let us have something else to rant about. Since that seems to have happened, there must be a certain amoun..."

If so, are they truly thinking because we've stopped complaining that we actually like the UGB? Because they'd be wrong. Supposedly it was implemented to make page loading faster. You noticed how well that is working, didn't you?

message 15: by Petra X (new)

Petra X (PetraX) | 5937 comments I didn't say that they thought we'd like it, only that once our little brains were diverted on to some other rant they wouldn't have to bother about it. I mean, you see how much they are bothering about it and we've stopped complaining because it's all been said anyway.

~ Lei ~ Reading Is An Adventure ~ (leilanilives2read) | 76 comments Petra X wrote: "I think that among other things this was designed to totally distract us from the UGB and let us have something else to rant about. Since that seems to have happened, there must be a certain amoun..."

Ugly Green Button?

message 17: by Lisa (last edited Oct 30, 2012 11:17PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 8933 comments My brain isn't that small. I'm perfectly capable of complaining about more than one thing at a time.

Go away big green button! AND "want" to read. ;-)

message 18: by Petra X (new)

Petra X (PetraX) | 5937 comments LOL

message 19: by Andrea (last edited Nov 02, 2012 01:21PM) (new)

Andrea (andrea_b) | 34 comments Kara wrote: "What happens with the books that are published in the month of November, though? Doesn't that put them at a huge disadvantage because they haven't been published yet as of the voting, so the general public hasn't had a chance to read them and make up their minds about the books? "

I agree, the books published after the voting started (Oct 30) and Nov 25 are at a serious disadvantage... I would've thought that the logical cut-off date would be before the voting started... Right now I can only think of Days of Blood & Starlight (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #2) by Laini Taylor as a November book that I would've thought would be nominated (there are very few pre-publication reviews for this one, but it's highly anticipated), but I'm sure there are more.

message 20: by Andrea (last edited Oct 22, 2014 08:55AM) (new)

Andrea (andrea_b) | 34 comments Since I think that it would be best to bring this up before 2014 voting begins:

Please consider establishing the cut-off date to a date before voting begins. Books that are published between the day voting starts and the cut-off date might not even have ARCs available (example: The Retribution of Mara Dyer) and are at a disadvantage.

message 21: by Caroline (new)

Caroline  (Caro7) | 91 comments Lisa wrote: "I'd still like it better if we voted all throughout January for books published the previous year, and I'd be fine with the results not being available until sometime in February, or even March 1st..."

+1

message 22: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (andrea_b) | 34 comments Andrea wrote: "Since I think that it would be best to bring this up before 2014 voting begins:

Please consider establishing the cut-off date to a date before voting begins. Books that are published between the d..."

Hi! will there be no official response to this?

message 23: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (andrea_b) | 34 comments Andrea wrote: "Andrea wrote: "Since I think that it would be best to bring this up before 2014 voting begins:

Please consider establishing the cut-off date to a date before voting begins. Books that are publishe..."

Ok, November 15th then.
Would've been nice to have some acknowledgement that they are basically dismissing anything released between today and then...

message 24: by Sparrowlicious (new)

Sparrowlicious | 149 comments To be honest, I'm wondering why the Goodreads Choice Awards aren't in January. You'd think covering books that were released from January to December 2014 would actually be more logical.

message 25: by Jim (new)

Jim | 501 comments Sparrowlicious wrote: "To be honest, I'm wondering why the Goodreads Choice Awards aren't in January. You'd think covering books that were released from January to December 2014 would actually be more logical."

The holiday shopping season begins at the end of November. Most publishers have released their end of year books by then.

message 26: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 2221 comments here are teh rules/eligibility

November 17, 2013, and November 15, 2014, are eligible for the 2014 Goodreads Choice Awards.

Books published between November 16, 2014, and December 31, 2014, will be eligible for the 2015 awards.

its pretty clear to me where teh cut-off is and it was the same last year