Robert McCammon discussion

Group Read Discussions > Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell November read.

Comments (showing 1-12 of 12) (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lou (new)

Lou (LouPendergrast) | 172 comments Mod
Did you enjoy this read?

message 2: by Char (new)

Char | 573 comments I did. So much so that I read it twice. : )

Boy, there were certainly enough footnotes in this one though.

message 3: by Lou (new)

Lou (LouPendergrast) | 172 comments Mod
Charlene wrote: "I did. So much so that I read it twice. : )

Boy, there were certainly enough footnotes in this one though."

It looks quite long and detailed. Will be an interesting read.

message 4: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Charlene wrote: "I did. So much so that I read it twice. : )

Boy, there were certainly enough footnotes in this one though."

I am so glad to see this, Charlene!

I've been curious about the book since 2006 or so, but this is the first feedback I've come across. Thank you, I really appreciate it!

message 5: by Char (new)

Char | 573 comments Sure, Dustin!
I enjoyed this one a lot. I found myself laughing out loud a couple of times. I also was fascinated by the characters. I do think there were a few times where the story dragged a bit, but not enough to dissuade me from finishing the book.

Autumn Is Azathoth (HauntedReadingRoom) In addition to last night's repetitive dreaming about some folks I knew in high school, I kept dreaming about reading this book. So I guess I'll start it today.:)

message 7: by Char (new)

Char | 573 comments I hope you enjoy it, Mallory. At the very least, I can say that it was different. : )

Autumn Is Azathoth (HauntedReadingRoom) LOL! That could also have been said about "It," and about "Kin"!
I had a couple of review books to get through this afternoon, then it will be off to Mr. Strange-Mr. Norrell.:)

message 9: by Char (new)

Char | 573 comments I just read your review of Kin at your blog. Why are we not friends already?
I'm going to rectify that.

message 10: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Charlene wrote: "Sure, Dustin!
I enjoyed this one a lot. I found myself laughing out loud a couple of times. I also was fascinated by the characters. I do think there were a few times where the story dragged a bit..."

I really appreciate that, Charlene!

Autumn Is Azathoth (HauntedReadingRoom) LOL @Charlene-I don't know, I'm reclusive and elusive? :) Speaking of Our Kealan and "Kin"-on my menu of soonest-to-read are "The Hides," "Vessel," and "Nemesis." I started J.S. & Mr. N. yesterday evening: woo! am I loving it!
However, reviews call-and I picked up a really enticing one earlier for free:
Valley of the Scarecrow by Gord Rollo and that one is calling-no, screaming, whining, banshee-wailing my name. I shall have to read with one eye per book, somehow.

message 12: by Char (new)

Char | 573 comments I picked up the Gord Rollo as well. : )

Regarding Kealan (who is just AMAZING, isn't he?), I read all the Turtle Boys earlier this year and I have purchased Nemesis and have it waiting.
I'm making my way through Dennis Lehane's latest, then I have a book group read at Shelfari, then I'm going to try to squeeze in Nemesis.
I'm glad that you're enjoying J.S. & Mr. N so far!