The Next Best Book Club discussion

Looking For Recommendations > The Thorn Birds

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker OK. A while ago, my mom bought me a copy of this book. I haven't yet read it, but it was my mom's favorite book (and my grandma liked it too). However, neither of them can really sell me on the book. I'm not opposed to reading it, I just haven't met anyone who could tell me why I need to read the book now.

So, I'm wanting a few people who have read the book to sell me on it. Make me want to read it like I want to have a cup of coffee in the morning.

(Please no spoilers, though, since I haven't read it)

message 2: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa This is a great thread! I started the book, but put it down and never finished it. My mom has also been trying to get me to finish it (she says it is her favorite book) but I haven't yet.

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) I vaguely remember the tv mini-series on this starring Richard Chamberlain. Havn't read the book though.

message 4: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) I've never read the book either...but I've seen the mini series.

Kinda strange, actually. I don't think I'm going to do a very good job of selling you on it-because having seen the show, I have no desire to read the book.

If you decide not to read this, you could maybe read something else by her to appease your mom somewhat? I think she has written quite a bit that is supposed to be good-I've been thinking about giving her a shot, myself.

message 5: by Hayes (last edited Feb 18, 2009 07:39AM) (new)

Hayes (hayes13) OK, I read the book 8 million years ago and remember liking it well enough at the time.

Depends on what you're looking for I guess. It was a good love story (lots of unrequited passion), and I remember liking the characters and the situations, beautiful descriptions of Australia. It's a bit dated, I fear, however: Full of 1970s feminism that may feel a bit strange nowadays. Your mom and I are probably about the same age and I bet we read it at the same time too. Give it a try. It's a quick moving story.

message 6: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I can honestly say this is one of my all time, forever and ever favorite books. It's funny, because it's also my mom's and grandma's favorite.

It is a love story, there's no denying that, but it's also an epic. It shows you Australia and New Zealand in a light you would never see otherwise. The way of life, the classes, the religion. It's an incredibly well researched book. I am not Catholic myself, but having read this book (among others) am very well versed in their practices. You will also end up knowing more about sheep than you ever thought there WAS to know.

I fell in love with the main character, and since the story spans her entire life, you get enough of her that you feel you truly know her, warts and all. The story is not told with rose colored glasses. it's real and heartbreaking.

In addition to knowing her, the entire cast of characters is beautifully drawn. I feel I would recognize these people on the street. The family changes with the times, and you can see how every family changes, the older members so much more reluctantly. You can find glimpes of your own family struggles, your friends, your in-laws.

There is no tied up with a bow happy ending. You feel emotionally drained at the end, but the path you take to get there is so worth the effort involved.

message 7: by Stef (new)

Stef (buch_ratte) | 650 comments It is one of the few books I read several times - at least partially. It is an easy read and nice love story. I do remember that I bought the book after seeing the first part of the mini series on TV. I just couldn't wait for the other parts and had to read the book first to know what else would happen. I have never been a patient person :-)
As Hayes said: Give it a try.

message 8: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker I think I will. Thanks everyone.

message 9: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) oh great...Kandice might have even convinced me that I want to read it too! haha.

message 10: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker That's the danger of this site...

message 11: by Anita (new)

Anita (tigergirl) | 45 comments Hmmm? I read the book a long time ago it was alright. I remember there was a mini series or something , but I did not see it.

message 12: by April (new)

April (booksandwine) | 954 comments I love love love love this book. I read it in high school and it completely enthralled me. I remember going to this seminar right, and I accidently left the book there, and could not stop thinking about it until I finally got it back the next week. Oh, the characters are fairly fleshed out and the story is rich and wonderful. Oh my god, I love this book.

message 13: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 437 comments I also really enjoyed this book. I read it before I watched the movie. The book is much better.

I have read many of Colleen McCullough's books. My favorites are the series set in Ancient Rome. They started an extended period of time for me reading all about the ancient Roman empire and Julius Ceasar.

message 14: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (hayes13) ohhhh... don't know that one... what's it called? Do you remember? (just what I need... fodder for the TBR!)

message 15: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Hayes wrote: "ohhhh... don't know that one... what's it called? Do you remember? (just what I need... fodder for the TBR!)"

Here they are in order (I've read these over and over...)
The First Man in Rome
The Grass Crown
Fortune's Favorites
Caesar's Women
Caesar A Novel
The October Horse A Novel of Caesar and Cleopatra

message 16: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) *sigh* Kandice, my TBR list loves you...

message 17: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (hayes13) mine too! Thanks (or not, depending on the point of view...)

message 18: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Sorry Allison! I do have to warn you, they can be a bit of work. She is an extensive researcher. There is a glossary at the back of each book. I owuld suggest at least skimming it before you start, even though you will constantly be referring to it throughout. Also, she uses maps as they appeared in that time. I personally didn't care much, how places related to now, but when I bought the 2nd book, it came with a handy book mark showing the name of a place then and it's subsequent name now. It was really interesting to then look at a map and see how far off I was!

message 19: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) hmmm...sounds interesting! May have to give it a shot pretty soon...depending on whether my library has The First Man or not.

message 20: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) SCORE! They do, haha. I just checked the online card catalog.

message 21: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 437 comments I actually had to try First Man in Rome twice before I got through it. But once I started reading it the second time, I never looked back. Great books!

message 22: by IUHoosier (new)

IUHoosier | 32 comments I read The Thorn Birds years ago in high school - I think because I'd seen the miniseries. I remember liking it, but not enough to ever pick it up again to re-read. I'm thinking the ending pissed me off, but I don't really remember now.

But - I absolutely ADORED the Rome series. I read all of them in a two week period and will undoubtedly go back and read them again at some point. The research she did for these books is just incredible, and they give the reader such a different perspective on Roman history - something that bored me to tears before reading this series.

message 23: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker I wish they would have a boxed set of the Rome series at Borders so I could use my nifty 40% off coupon. But I'm not going to hold my breath.

message 24: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) Gah. If you get the whole series I will be so jealous!

But yeah...they probably don't have a box set. Good lord I think you'd need a crane!

message 25: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth (marybethbaker) | 98 comments I read The Thorn Birds about fifteen years ago, my grandmother having given it to me because it was her favorite book. (This seems to be a theme here. ;) ) Unfortunately, I never finished it. Somehow I just knew how the story was going to end and didn't want it to end the way I predicted, so I just stopped with 100 pages to go. I keep thinking I need to pick it back up...the bookmark is still in the book, even after fifteen years.

message 26: by Beth Ann (new)

Beth Ann (bagrover) This book is one of my favorites. I saw the mini series years and years ago when I was like 13 and had been really sick and my grandmother was staying with me and we sat and watched it. I loved it and being young and dumb I didn't know that it was based off a book till a few years ago I came across it in a bargain bin. The first time I read it in just over a day, I even called in sick to work just so I could stay home all day and read it, lol! I've read it a few times more since then, I just love a good saga. I've read a couple other book by her, but I haven't read any of the Cesaer or Rome books. I'm worried that I won't care for them as much as her Australian stories.