He was a malign influence
on boys in their early teens
made to dream of literary glory.

He was the guy who touched me up
at that impressionable age,
I happened to chance upon his slim volume in my hands
at eagerly-panting adolescence
when I was just setting out on things
and, you know, everything is just so fresh.

He inspired me, I guess, made me want to emulate
his silky feel between finger and thumb
as I turned him over,
that smell of publication young senses salivate over.
From then on, I've been trapped in juvenile silliness,
taking time from life
to address envelopes, lick stamps, post a dream or two
in an adulthood that could never escape
the consequences of Oscar's advances.

message 2: by Rose (new)

Rose Boehm (rosemaryboehm) | 2668 comments Oscar Wilde also said: "If you want to be a doormat you have to lay yourself down first."

message 3: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Han (stephanie_han) | 3 comments I like this poem very much--captures the feeling of adolescence very well, and the adult p.o.v. on it all...I have to tell you, I rarely comment on goodreads poems, but this poem propelled me. cheers, Stephanie Han

message 4: by Rose (new)

Rose Boehm (rosemaryboehm) | 2668 comments I didn't meant to say I didn't like it. I think it's got something.

message 5: by Alan (new)

Alan Hardy | 12 comments Thanks for the comments, Stephaniehan and Rose. It's always great to get feedback.

message 6: by Jim (new)

Jim Gustafson | 1 comments While strolling, I stopped here because I am a Wilde fan. Your poem captures something I suspect he would like very much. May I suggest that in the first stanza
read:
I blame Oscar Wilde.
He was a malign influence
on me in my early teens
as I dreamed of literary glory.

Reason it is consistent with the first person of the remainder of the poem. Just one man's thought on a Saturday afternoon.

message 7: by Alan (new)

Alan Hardy | 12 comments Thanks for comment and feedback. Interesting point, but wouldn't it make the poem too centred on me when, in fact, Oscar was 'touching up'(so to speak)a good many others in the same way, and this would then detract from the gentle inuendo of the poem, let alone Oscar's general inspirational effect? But still...I'll have a think about it.

message 8: by Jim (new)

Jim Gustafson | 25 comments Yes, i valid response. Perhaps "us boys in our early..."
Nevertheless, a thoughtful and memorable effort.

message 9: by Fern (new)

Fern (FernRL) Jim wrote: "While strolling, I stopped here because I am a Wilde fan. Your poem captures something I suspect he would like very much. May I suggest that in the first stanza
read:
I blame Oscar Wilde.
He was a..."

I agree that it would be good to be consistent with the first person. I don't think it would be too centered on you, particularly for this thread of "Introductions".

message 10: by Xe (new)

Xe Sands (XeSands) | 1 comments I enjoyed that very much - thank you for posting it. There's a whole lot going on there and it affected me on several levels at once, which is what I personally appreciate in poetry.

message 11: by Alan (new)

Alan Hardy | 12 comments Thanks for all comments, very helpful. "Us boys in our early...", yes, I like it.