Bookworms discussion

Investigation-in-progress > Is there any book that you were too young to read but read it anyhow?

Comments (showing 1-16 of 16) (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Neena (new)

Neena (I-am-addicted-to-reading) | 9758 comments Mod
For me that book would be Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy and then there are bunch of other Russian novels whose names I can't remember now after so many years. What's that book for you that you were too young to read but read it anyhow?

message 2: by Dyuti (new)

Dyuti (dyuti_c) Kane and Abel. When I was 11. It had quite some adult content.

And yes, I did read and enjoy Anna Karenina when I was 13. So, there you go!

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Many. Look I was just 13 when I read my first Sidney Sheldon.
I was just 12, when I read my first Frederick Forsyth. :)

message 4: by Dyuti (new)

Dyuti (dyuti_c) Anirban wrote: "Many. Look I was just 13 when I read my first Sidney Sheldon.
I was just 12, when I read my first Frederick Forsyth. :)"

I guess your mental maturity needs to be the thing under consideration when you say "too young"... Like for me, it was not that bad. But I can many people who even in their early twenties would not be comfortable with many books. Its the mind, not the age.

message 5: by Aparna (new)

Aparna | 192 comments Dyuti wrote: "Anirban wrote: "Many. Look I was just 13 when I read my first Sidney Sheldon.

I guess your mental maturity needs to be the thing under c..."

Anirban, I hear you. I was 11 when my Mum was reading a Sidney Sheldon, and I asked her what she was reading, and she told me it wasn't for me, and that's all a kid needs to hear, right? :p So I snuck out and read it in two nights (I think it was The Doomsday Conspiracy), and I didn't understand half the book.

The other one was Acts of Faith by Erich Segal, I was 14, and couldn't appreciate the beauty of that story, until I re-read it after I was much older.

message 6: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 30, 2012 03:59AM) (new)

Aparna wrote: "Dyuti wrote: "Anirban wrote: "Many. Look I was just 13 when I read my first Sidney Sheldon.

I guess your mental maturity needs to be the..."

TELL ME YOUR DREAMS...you know the moment I finished the book, I was CHANGED. I mean what not it dealt it. It was my first brush with the knowledge that (view spoiler). I felt so sick, even thinking about it!!! I was definitely CHANGED!!!! :D

message 7: by Dyuti (new)

Dyuti (dyuti_c) @ Anirban: Read the book last year. Did not like it very much. But yes, for a 11 year old it had to be very RAW.

The book which I mentioned, it had this explicit rape scene, which kept me disturbed for many nights. Fortunately though, it did not scar me, and I could move on.

message 8: by Abhay (new)

Abhay Kulkarni | 11327 comments Mod
@Dyuti: U read kane & abel wen u were 11?! Whoa, thats one horrifying scene it has. Very important to read such books at an appropriate time, glad u could move on, coz there's no telling how they affect the minds.

Talking bout the mind, has anyone read BRAINWASH:THE SECRET HISTORY OF MIND CONTROL by Streatfeild, Dominic? It has some shocking,jaw dropping truths about Russian, CIA, Metal band's etc doings. It was a book of revelations for me :)

message 9: by Dyuti (new)

Dyuti (dyuti_c) @ Abhay: Yes, I'm glad it did not affect me otherwise. It could have. But I had a very caring elder sister who made things simpler when I discussed it with her. Thus, her care ensured that there was no scarring.

This Russian book, when did you read it? Were you too young?

message 10: by Abhay (new)

Abhay Kulkarni | 11327 comments Mod
@Dyuti: No i read it recently but still found it pretty shocking:)

❄️ Propertea Of Frostea ❄️ Bitter SnoBerry ❄ (BerryNumey) Yes, I have...the first was Evermore by Allison Noelle, when I was 10. Then I guess it was Between the Assassinations...this year. THAT BOOK WAS JUST SO HORRIBLE!! I really felt bad reading that book...I mean I should hate no book! I'm a book-lover, but that piece of cr*p was LOADS of .

message 12: by Kalyani (new)

Kalyani Kamat | 7 comments Yeah! Just one! The Sea of Poppies by Amitav Ghosh! I was 12 n dint understnd MANY things!! I plannd to read it again but somehow I still haven't touched it in d past 5 yrs!!

message 13: by Hiranmayii (new)

Hiranmayii Pudi | 48 comments i started reading books when i was 13 with Harry potter series,naked face,memoirs of midnight by sidney sheldon and it was Eleven minutes by Paulo coelho full shocking when i was 18..changing my perspective too..

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

I read The Other Side of Midnight by Sidney Sheldon while I was in 12th Std. My friend's elder sister gave it to me and Sheldon's name was very famous. I guess someone should have told me to not read that book. That book was very disturbing for me because I was too young to read what all had been written in that book and I still remember it.

message 15: by Neena (new)

Neena (I-am-addicted-to-reading) | 9758 comments Mod
I'm sure Father Serguis by Tolstoy would essentially qualify as only for adults! I read it few days ago and realsied I have read it during my teens too. whew!!!!!!

message 16: by A (new)

A H I started reading Sidney Sheldon when I was 12....it had lots of adult content, though I liked the stories..I even read The God of Small Things when I was 12, I liked the story, but couldn't understand it that well....even that book had mature content. I'm planning to read that book again in coming years...