Bookworms discussion

Investigation-in-progress > What is the first book in your memory that made lasting impression on you?

Comments (showing 1-22 of 22) (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Neena (new)

Neena (I-am-addicted-to-reading) | 9758 comments Mod
We book lovers all start reading from an early age mostly. What was the first book that is still in your memory to make very strong lasting impression, the book that actually made you passionate about reading books?

message 2: by Ajay (new)

Ajay (Ajay_N) Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

Years later...

The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy

message 3: by Neena (new)

I remember reading childern's magazines, comics etc. and also lots of fiction too but the book that made real strong impression on me was Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy. I particulary remember reading this book stealthily over a long period of time and loving it to my heart's core.

message 4: by Ajay (new)

Ajay (Ajay_N) I've heard a lot about Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy. I need to pick it up. I am sure I'l enjoy it, I've never disliked any of the classics.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Strong impression...hmmm

TELL ME YOUR DREAMS by Sidney SHeldon. It opened a casket full of vices to me!!!

message 6: by Neena (new)

Ajay wrote: "I've heard a lot about Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy. I need to pick it up. I am sure I'l enjoy it, I've never disliked any of the classics."

If you like classics then you might actually like it. Though I warn you like other Russian literature you could feel it dragging by long, never ending discussions on politics, farming, trivial things etc.

message 7: by Harini (new)

Harini Srinivasan (harinigs) | 10 comments I feel very silly saying this, but it was Enid Blyton's "Three Golliwogs". The first book I ever read, borrowed from a lending library in Bombay (in those days it was called Bombay, and we hardly owned any books of our own). I can never forget how excited I was to be able to read a whole book, and then to cap it all, my father said I could borrow a book every Saturday!

❄️ Propertea Of Frostea ❄️ Bitter SnoBerry ❄ (BerryNumey) This is guilty pleasure now...NANCY DREW. Yeah, the mysteries and adventures lured me in! Especially the 'Scarlet Macaw Scandal'
And of course, The Hunger Games, that series kept me thinking of all possibilities that could go wrong in my life, and how lucky I am to have the basic needs...same goes with A Thousand Splendid Suns :)

message 9: by Alex (new)

Alex  Mathew  | 18 comments And then there were none by Agatha Christie..May be the best mystery novel ever..

message 10: by Eunice Catherine (new)

Eunice Catherine | 2578 comments For me it's 'Little Women', the whole series in fact. This may sound childish but i still love it!! ..It has a peaceful atmosphere in spite of all the troubles the characters face. I don't know if it's me or anybody else felt the same.

message 11: by Neena (new)

Eunice wrote: "For me it's 'Little Women', the whole series in fact. This may sound childish but i still love it!! ..It has a peaceful atmosphere in spite of all the troubles the characters face. I don't know if ..."

I always wanted to read this book. I suresly hope to read it some day...

message 12: by Kali (new)

Kali Srikanth | 48 comments Anirban wrote: "Strong impression...hmmm

TELL ME YOUR DREAMS by Sidney SHeldon. It opened a casket full of vices to me!!!"

This is not my first book though but I read it when I was picking reading as a hobby. So this is one of the earlier books I read and trust me I had chills run down my spine.

message 13: by Rahul Nath (new)

Rahul Nath (cultofpersonality) | 2406 comments The Count of Monte Cristo. It was so perfect.

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley. Again, amazing.

And much later, The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy and Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie.

message 14: by Sameer (new)

Sameer I read "To Kill a Mockingbird" in 9th standard. It left a lasting impression on me, especially the line which says, 'Before you criticize someone try standing in his shoes for sometime.' Until then, I was reading Hardy Boys and Three Investigators. I didn't know such books existed.

message 15: by Eunice Catherine (new)

Eunice Catherine | 2578 comments Neena wrote: "Eunice wrote: "For me it's 'Little Women', the whole series in fact. This may sound childish but i still love it!! ..It has a peaceful atmosphere in spite of all the troubles the characters face. I..."

Oh read it!! you'll definitely like it!! :D

message 16: by Anwesha (new)

Anwesha It was a Bengali book, "Na hanyate"(It does not die) by Maitreyi Devi written in 1974, I was 14 when I read this book and was overwhelmed.

message 17: by Sharika (new)

Sharika (goodreadscomquietnbookish) I read 'A Tale of Two Cities' when I was 10. I was overwhelmed by brilliant story and writing style, apart from Sydney Carton's character. That's when I realised how ridiculous Enid Blyton's books were and moved on to better books.

message 18: by Divenita (new)

Divenita  Er (goodreadscomDivenitaEr) My experiments with Truth by M.K. Gandhi.

message 19: by Mohak (last edited Feb 27, 2013 08:38AM) (new)

Mohak Stranger In The Mirror- by Sidney Sheldon
I couldn't sleep for 2 days after reading the first chapter. It shook me to my core. In the end, however, it did become one of my most favorite books!

message 20: by Dheeraj (last edited Feb 27, 2013 09:39AM) (new)

Dheeraj Mohan | 20 comments I think it was the Animal Farm. I was in 6th or 7th and was part of the school quiz club being hauled out of town in a train. I had borrowed the book from the school library for the journey. An English teacher accompanied us on the trip and he asked me about my impression of the book. This teacher, was taking classes for higher secondary kids back then and I did not really know him at all. Anyway, he was a really cool guy and we talked about it for a while in the train and he tried to explain the many dimensions that the author was trying to express in his story. It got me hooked immediately, leading to this perpetual, self-perpetuating, addictive search for connections and references in stories; that has been my life since. :D.

Another book was Songs of Innocence and of Experience, which was lying around at home around the same time(left there by an uncle of mine who had graduated in and was teaching the English Language). I picked it up, because there were few excerpts from the book in our School course material. It was very difficult for me to read the book, at that age, as anyone who has read the book can easily understand. But it taught me perseverance and I remember the book for it.

message 21: by A (new)

A H My first novel/proper book - Famous Five, the 14th book....I forgot the name.

I remember when I was young, there was a time when I only read Famous Five....I was so in love with everything Enid Blyton wrote....!

message 22: by Namrata (new)

Namrata Ganti (namrata_ganti) | 9 comments Enid Blyton's books!! The famous five, malory towers, st clare's, the mystery series. the adventure series and of course Harry potter and the philosophers stone!!!