Movies We've Just Watched discussion

Comedies > Vicky Cristina Barcelona

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Penelope (new)

Penelope (Pendraig) | 7 comments What a lovely movie. Makes me want to visit Barcelona again NOW !

message 2: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 9612 comments i don't need a reason....i'm always ready to go there!
:)

i haven't seen this yet, but have heard good things about it. i love penelope and javier, but scarlett has lost my respect, as has woody allen, (for the most part). nonehtless, i see it was just released on dvd, so i'm going to rent it soon.

message 3: by Penelope (new)

Penelope (Pendraig) | 7 comments Scarlett's role is not that demanding - I think her pal, Rebecca Hall [I think is her name:] is terrific - Penelope is SO good. Thank goodness Woody didn't put himself in the movie. Let me know what you think.

message 4: by Holli (new)

Holli I loved this movie....glad to find another who enjoyed it too. Wasn't Penelope Cruz great? :)

message 5: by Phillip (last edited Feb 18, 2009 01:41PM) (new)

Phillip | 9612 comments penelope cruz is an outstanding actor, and it seems like her best roles occur in european films. when she appears in american films, they usually just want to focus on her beauty, not her talent...i thought she was brilliant in volver, for example.

scarlett does fine in films where she isn't overly challenged. just let her look at the camera with her big eyes and don't let her talk too much. fortunately for her, this represents the majority of the roles she gets these days.

message 6: by Penelope (new)

Penelope (Pendraig) | 7 comments I thought Volver was excellent. I have seen her in Elegy also - a quite different role, quite serious.

message 7: by Leshawn (new)

Leshawn | 28 comments I thought Penelope Cruz was magnificent in "Elegy". The scene where she reveals herself before her surgery broke my heart.
The "Spanish Enchantress" was wonderful in "Vicky Cristina Barcelona".
I wasn't enthralled with the movie because I thought it relied to heavily on narration. With such great actors, Mr Allen should have allowed them to ply their craft and skipped the voice-over technique which can be sloppy and rarely leads to a great film.
I also found the lack of blue in the color palette to be irritating.
That was a surprise because the cinematography of Woody Allen films is usually fantastic even when the film is not.("Hollywood Ending" is a golden-tinted, dreamy failure but hats off to Wendigo von Schultzendorff)
All that said, I did see it in the theater, buy the DVD the day it was released and plan to watch it many times over.

message 8: by Phillip (last edited Feb 21, 2009 08:46AM) (new)

Phillip | 9612 comments i've never seen elegy...i'll look for that.

voice-over rarely leads to a great film?
tell that to stanley kubrick. (whoops! too late for that...)

message 9: by Leshawn (new)

Leshawn | 28 comments The key word was rarely, not never.
I think Stanley Kubrick is both rare and wonderful.

message 10: by Phillip (last edited Feb 21, 2009 10:38AM) (new)

Phillip | 9612 comments absolutely...he made a lot of things work that should not have worked, or, in the hands of other directors, would not have worked.

in general, i agree with your sentiment! the other film with a good bit of voice-over that worked (for me) was apocalypse now.

message 11: by Holli (new)

Holli The narration in Vicky Christina Barcelona really annoyed me at first but towards the end of the movie I found it had just become part of the experience and I grew fond of it. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that odd....

Had no idea there was a lack of blue in the movie...I may have to re-watch it just to look for that now!

message 12: by Leshawn (new)

Leshawn | 28 comments It was odd that I noticed the lack of blue. I just felt irritated watching it and then I realized that the irritation was caused by the lack of blue's calming effect. I wanted to believe that Mr Allen's intention was to make the audience feel some of the discomfort that the characters felt but I haven't found any thing to support my lame theory.

message 13: by Holli (new)

Holli Interesting, I can definitely see your point to the theory. Makes perfect sense to me!

message 14: by Alex DeLarge (new)

Alex DeLarge | 851 comments Why doesn't Woody Allen make funny movies anymore? (LoL)

I'm just not interested in any of his recent films. Like SPRINGSTEEN, U2 and THE STONES, I don't see that he has anything useful to say...he's all used up. I'll revisit his older films which are some of my favorites.

message 15: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 155 comments Alex DeLarge wrote: "Why doesn't Woody Allen make funny movies anymore? (LoL)

I'm just not interested in any of his recent films. Like SPRINGSTEEN, U2 and THE STONES, I don't see that he has anything useful to say....."

Why? Because when he's tried -- "Happy Endings," "Curse of the Jade Scorpion" -- he's made some of the worst movies of his career. I think he's said everything he has to say. Some filmmakers do their greatest works at the ends of their careers (Bunuel, Kurosawa, Eastwood) but others don't (Capra, McCarey). Allen, who hasn't had a good film in more than ten years, seems firmly in the latter category.

I still love his great ones, and "Annie Hall" remains a personal favorite.

message 16: by Penelope (new)

Penelope (Pendraig) | 7 comments If think that if you liked Annie Hall you will like Vicky Cristina Barcelona - it's fun and worth it if only to see Cruz -

message 17: by Phillip (last edited Feb 28, 2009 08:17AM) (new)

Phillip | 9612 comments that's certainly why i intend to rent it. i'm a fan of penelope's work (and javier bardem)...you can keep scarlett johanson though.

message 18: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 155 comments Penelope wrote: "If think that if you liked Annie Hall you will like Vicky Cristina Barcelona - it's fun and worth it if only to see Cruz - "

"Annie Hall" is my favorite film and I thought "Vicky Christina Barcelona" was a complete waste of time. Cruz is a wonderful actress, but she was playing a cartoon character here.

message 19: by Penelope (new)

Penelope (Pendraig) | 7 comments I have a Spanish step-daughter and I promise you that was no cartoon ..

message 20: by Alex DeLarge (new)

Alex DeLarge | 851 comments I know it's not fair to judge a film before I've seen it but I'm not excited about his recent (last 15 year) creative impulses. I like Penelope Cruz but am convinced only Pedro Almodovar can film her correctly: otherwise, like my friend says, she looks like a "pretty muppet".

message 21: by Gina (new)

Gina (pindaregirl) | 1 comments BEST Wallen's movie! One of Top movies ever made on this planet. A huge ALL-OVER POLLOCKIAN TECHNIQUE movie that is on my shelf now
PURCHASE MY BOOK:
http://www.lulu.com/content/6261435
soon in english....now in french but tell about it to your friends

message 22: by Sandi (new)

Sandi | 15 comments Haven't much cared for anything Woody Allen has done since "Annie Hall"...and honestly didn't realize that "Vicky" was one of his until I started to watch. Drawn to Penelope Cruz, tho..and I guess I'm also one of the few Scarlett fans around.(Really liked her in "The Girl with the Pearl Earring". Thought she was wonderful(. BUT...throughly enjoyed "Vicky, etc"!! Have dear Spanish friends who Cruz'a character could have been written from..wonderful character part.
Same w/e saw The Duchess"...another one that i enjoyed..Set were beautifully done..and enjoyed this one, as well.

message 23: by Matt (new)

Matt | 218 comments I personally thought VICKY CRISTINA was one of the best films of the year and although I didnt love CASSANDRA'S DREAM I did enjoy Colin Farrell's performance.

I agree with an earlier poster who found VICKY's voice-over narration grating/off-putting at first but warmed up to it by the films conclusion. Have not seen CURSE or SCOOP, and so I cant really weigh in. I applaud Woody for branching out and trying new things, some of which work better than others. I think that is what separates the artists from the studio hacks, having the courage to go out on a limb. I for one will continue to watch his films, but then again I enjoyed Spike Lee's MIRACLE AT ST. ANNA. Theres no accounting for taste.

message 24: by Bryan (new)

Bryan | 1 comments Daniel M. wrote: "Penelope wrote: "If think that if you liked Annie Hall you will like Vicky Cristina Barcelona - it's fun and worth it if only to see Cruz - "

"Annie Hall" is my favorite film and I thought "Vicky ..."

That's so funny and so true. my wife and I were watching this and all we could say is "she nailed this role".