BOOK LOVERS! discussion

Ultraviolet (Ultraviolet, #1)
This topic is about Ultraviolet
Group reads > Ultraviolet Discussion

Comments (showing 1-14 of 14) (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ♥ Innocent Lamb ~ Forever Reading ♥ - AKA Smarties, Sometimes, a smile can hide a thousand tears. (last edited Oct 28, 2012 11:53PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

♥ Innocent Lamb ~ Forever Reading ♥ - AKA Smarties (NotJustAnyOrdinaryGirl) | 2899 comments Mod
'Once upon a time there was a girl who was special.

This is not her story.

Unless you count the part where I killed her.

Sixteen-year-old Alison has been sectioned in a mental institute for teens, having murdered the most perfect and popular girl at school. But the case is a mystery: no body has been found, and Alison’s condition is proving difficult to diagnose. Alison herself can’t explain what happened: one minute she was fighting with Tori—the next she disintegrated. Into nothing. But that’s impossible. Right?'

For the month of November, we shall be reading the book Ultraviolet by R.J. Anderson. Please get the book and start reading and post your thoughts and comments on the book here.

Bree Ooohhhhh I already read this, it's pretty good!!! I actually read it for school and did a class essay on it hahah

message 3: by ♥ Innocent Lamb ~ Forever Reading ♥ - AKA Smarties, Sometimes, a smile can hide a thousand tears. (last edited Oct 29, 2012 02:39AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

♥ Innocent Lamb ~ Forever Reading ♥ - AKA Smarties (NotJustAnyOrdinaryGirl) | 2899 comments Mod
Really? I'm reading it right now. I kinda wish I could have read this book for school instead of the one I spent an entire term studying...

Bree Yeh it's really interesting...for school anyway. Haha. Which book did you spend a whole term on?

message 5: by ♥ Innocent Lamb ~ Forever Reading ♥ - AKA Smarties, Sometimes, a smile can hide a thousand tears. (new) - rated it 3 stars

Falling from Grace by Jane Godwin... It was actually rather boring.

message 6: by ♥ Innocent Lamb ~ Forever Reading ♥ - AKA Smarties, Sometimes, a smile can hide a thousand tears. (last edited Oct 31, 2012 11:31PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

My review on the book can be found here: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

However, since I can just add it, I'll just copy and paste the entire thing into here for your convenience.

So here is my entire review:

‘Once upon a time, there was a girl who was special. This is not her story. Unless you count the part where I killed her. For Alison, she’s been different for her whole life. For so long, she has been forced to keep her ability to see things differently a secret from everyone she knew. One minute, she was fighting Tori Beaugrand… the popular and annoying perfect Tori Beaugrand, and the next, Alison had managed to disintegrate her. When she wakes up, she finds herself in a hospital. Suddenly, people are convinced that she is responsible for Tori’s death and it is soon easy for Alison to believe that she is truly guilty for the death of Tori. That is, until he comes along. With his stunning violet eyes, Sebastian Faraday seems too good to be true… or is he?’

The idea of having Alison have synesthesia was very unique. The concept is unlike anything I have ever read about and prior to reading the book, I admit that I knew nothing about synesthesia. Alison is also a delightfully interesting character. I loved how she explained how she saw the world through her condition and it was amazing really. Alison seems like a very good character and shows a lot of promise for the future. Alison appears to have many interesting qualities and does not give off the Mary-sue feel… Er.. hello? She was seen as crazy for nearly the entire book.

Sebastian Faraday. He is a rather interesting character. He stood out almost immediately in the book with his ‘gorgeous’ violet eyes he was just a pop up character. Can any of you imagine anyone actually having violet eyes in the real world? That would be epically amazing, in my opinion anyway. That was until I reached that bit where we find out a little something about Sebastian Faraday that spoilt the entire book for me. (view spoiler)

The ending wasn’t the best. Nothing really stood out about the ending. (view spoiler) Overall, I’d give this book a 3 out of 3 stars. Despite the fact that the story had very original ideas, I am not a big fan of science fiction and that probably had some effect on how I rated this book. Nevertheless, the book was ok, the cover was really pretty and the blurb rather interesting. I’d advise you to read this book if you are a fan of science fiction books.

Unfortunately, there were no funny or really cool pictures I could add to the review. :(

Oh well, there's always next time... right?

message 7: by ♥ Innocent Lamb ~ Forever Reading ♥ - AKA Smarties, Sometimes, a smile can hide a thousand tears. (new) - rated it 3 stars

Hey, does anyone know whether or not the sequel is good? I did some research and apparently this isn't a one off like I originally thought...

message 8: by Amy (Cliff) (new) - added it

Amy (Cliff) (readalotsleepyhead) | 55 comments Finally got hold of it yesterday, and read the whole thing last night. I thought it was good, really interesting. It wasn't what I expected, but I thoroughly enjoyed it =D

message 9: by ♥ Innocent Lamb ~ Forever Reading ♥ - AKA Smarties, Sometimes, a smile can hide a thousand tears. (new) - rated it 3 stars

I finished the book in two-ish days I think. But yeah, the book was good. I loved the chapter names - One (Is Red)... so on and so forth. That was actually rather clever.

message 10: by Bree (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bree Yeah I liked that aspect too!! But I just liked the crazy story in general it was a really different bizarre read :)

message 11: by ♥ Innocent Lamb ~ Forever Reading ♥ - AKA Smarties, Sometimes, a smile can hide a thousand tears. (new) - rated it 3 stars

I know right? It was different and interesting. Something other than vampires and werewolves.

message 12: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy (amy_dallimore) | 2 comments Only just started reading this book yesterday, and already addicted sounds like its going to be a good story :)

message 13: by Bree (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bree Haha hope you enjoy it !!

message 14: by ♥ Innocent Lamb ~ Forever Reading ♥ - AKA Smarties, Sometimes, a smile can hide a thousand tears. (new) - rated it 3 stars

Good luck on finishing the boook! Hope you enjoy it!!