Movies We've Just Watched discussion

Horror > Strippers, BBQ and Flesh Eating Mutants in "Planet Terror."

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emma (new)

Emma Audsley (EmmaAudsley) | 20 comments It's bloody brilliant! I was really surprised by how great it was!!

message 2: by Phillip (last edited Feb 19, 2009 04:24PM) (new)

Phillip | 9611 comments strippers, bar-b-que and flesh eating mutants...?
i've got to see this one. is it a new release?

message 3: by Jill (last edited Feb 19, 2009 07:18PM) (new)

Jill (wanderingrogue) | 123 comments Phillip, Planet Terror is Robert Rodriguez's contribution to his and Quentin Tarantino's double-feature project known as Grindhouse. It came out back in '07. Grindhouse featured two full length features and four trailers for non-existent movies.

For the full movie going experience, the order was: the trailer for the fictional movie named Machete, starring Danny Trejo and Cheech Marin and directed by Robert Rodriguez; Planet Terror, starring Freddy Rodriguez, Josh Brolin, Marley Shelton, Naveen Andrews, Michael Biehn, Jeff Fahey, Tom Savini, and Rose McGowan's most glorious hiney; the trailer for the fictional movie Werewolf Women of the SS, directed by Rob Zombie (director of House of 1000 Corpses and The Devil's Rejects) and starring Nick Cage as "Fu Manchu"; the trailer for the fictional movie Don't!, directed by Edgar Wright (the director of Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz) and starring Jason Issacs, Simon Pegg (blink and you'll miss him), and Nick Frost; the trailer for the fictional movie Thanksgiving, directed by Eli Roth (director of Cabin Fever and Hostel 1 and 2) and starring Michael Biehn, Roth himself, and Jay Hernandez; and, finally, Death Proof, directed by Quentin Tarantino and starring Kurt Russell, Rosario Dawson, Sydney Poitier (daughter of Sidney Poitier), Vanessa Ferlito, Jordan Ladd, and the incomparable Zoe Bell (stunt woman extraordinaire who did the stunts for Uma Thurman in Kill Bill).

Planet Terror is about mutants/zombies and a woman with a machine gun for a leg (she's not a stripper, she's a go-go dancer...and she'll tell you as much).

Machete is about a Mexican day laborer who turns out to be a former federale and takes revenge on the people who double cross him.

Werewolf Women of the SS is...pretty much what it sounds like.

Don't! is about an old mansion inhabited by cannibals, baby-eaters, and other assorted terrors that would make Dario Argento proud.

Thanksgiving is a very low budget-looking slasher flick with a guy dressed as a pilgrim killing random people.

Death Proof is about a serial killer who kills beautiful women with his car. It's your classic road thriller like The Hitcher (the first one, not the crap remake).

If you're going to watch Planet Terror, you might as well watch the whole thing. At some point in time, they'll release all the stuff together, I'm sure of it. Starz already shows the whole thing from start to finish some nights, especially weekends.

I'm a horror geek, so needless to say, in 2007, the opening weekend of Grindhouse was my Christmas. ;)

message 4: by Phillip (last edited Feb 19, 2009 06:59PM) (new)

Phillip | 9611 comments i saw this! - i didn't realize the first part of grindhouse was the film vincent was talking about....the bit about using a gun for a prosthetic made it sound like familiar territory.

thanks for clearing this up, jill!

message 5: by George (new)

George | 951 comments Must have been a traumatic experience for you, Phillip.

message 6: by Sam (new)

Sam | 548 comments Jill wrote: "Phillip, Planet Terror is Robert Rodriguez's contribution to his and Quentin Tarantino's double-feature project known as Grindhouse. It came out back in '07. Grindhouse featured two full length fea..."

aaahhhh Jill - I've just seen the light ... I had no idea all of that was Grindhouse - I'd only seen Planet Terror and Death Proof but even then didn't realise that Planet Terror wasn't a QT flick ... i feel like such a drop kick

question - just how is Cherry pullin' the trigger on her gun leg??

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Quentin Tarantino is awesome. i loved this movie, and Death Proof.
PS- anyone seen his movie Hell Ride?
PSAGAIN- good question, Sam

message 8: by Emma (new)

Emma Audsley (EmmaAudsley) | 20 comments Sam - the braggin' Aussie arsehole wrote: "Jill wrote: "Phillip, Planet Terror is Robert Rodriguez's contribution to his and Quentin Tarantino's double-feature project known as Grindhouse. It came out back in '07. Grindhouse featured two fu..."Same question I had!

message 9: by Sam (new)

Sam | 548 comments apparently - some smart arse told me on Friday - that if I don't understand nerves and things like that it's useless explaining it to me ...

message 10: by Maryse (new)

Maryse (belle_maryse) | 66 comments Just saw "Planet Terror" and I loved it. Wasn't really as gory as I though it would be, more campy fun and I thoroughly enjoyed that. The "missing reel" thing was funny.

And Sam, I do understand how nerves and things work but I still don't get how Cherry pulls the trigger. :)

message 11: by Phillip (last edited Mar 30, 2009 07:48AM) (new)

Phillip | 9611 comments i think it has a lot more to do with humor than nerves. ;)
(whoops, i forgot those two things are the same...shows you what i know)

message 12: by Jill (new)

Jill (wanderingrogue) | 123 comments Cherry pulls the trigger using nothing more than pure, unadulterated awesome. That's about how deep it goes. It is, after all, a Grindhouse flick. ;)

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

yup!

message 14: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 99 comments If you liked the look of B movies/exploitation films like the Grindhouse features then check out this movie coming out in the spring- http://www.bitchslapmovie.com/
The trailer is great and it looks like it'll be worth seeing.