Cozy Mysteries discussion

Find a book or series > Cozies about EXTREME Weather! Blizzards, Hurricanes, etc.

Comments (showing 1-23 of 23) (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate (new)

Kate (Kate28) | 141 comments As I sit at home, waiting for Hurricane Sandy to arrive, it got me thinking about how much I enjoy snuggling up with a cozy involving extreme weather: hurricanes, blizzards, etc! I thought it would be fun to make a list of all the books we know of that revolve around the weather. I'll get started!

A Deadly Cliché (A Books by the Bay Mystery #2) by Ellery Adams - Hurricane!
Aunt Dimity Snowbound (An Aunt Dimity Mystery, #9) by Nancy Atherton - Bad snow storm!
Peril in Paperback (A Bibliophile Mystery, #6) by Kate Carlisle- I haven't read this one yet but I've heard it takes place during a blizzard
A Spoonful of Murder by Connie Archer- Lots of snow!
Books Can Be Deceiving (Library Lover's Mystery, #1) by Jenn McKinlay- Constant thunderstorms (maybe a hurricane too, I forget!)
Due or Die (Library Lover's Mystery, #2) by Jenn McKinlay- bad snow storm!

message 2: by Heather L, Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Heather L (WordTrix) | 8729 comments Mod
The Winter Widow by Charlene Weir - blizzard

message 3: by ☯Emily (new)

☯Emily  | 44030 comments Dead Man's Island Dead Man's Island (Henrie O, #1) by Carolyn Hart This takes place during a hurricane.

Columbella by Phyllis A. Whitney by Phyllis Whitney has a hurricane play a part in the plot.

message 4: by Moonlight (last edited Oct 30, 2012 12:32PM) (new)

Moonlight | 46 comments Virgin in the Ice by Ellis Peters.
Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie

message 5: by Marja (new)

Marja McGraw (Marja1) | 897 comments Marilyn Meredith has a new book out titled Raging Water. I haven't read it yet, but I've heard it's excellent.

message 6: by Nairabell (new)

Nairabell | 97 comments Doesn't Sugar Cookie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #6) by Joanne Fluke take place during a snow storm?

message 7: by ☯Emily (new)

☯Emily  | 44030 comments Nairabell wrote: "Doesn't Sugar Cookie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #6) by Joanne Fluke take place during a snow storm?"

One of Fluke's books do, but I couldn't remember which one.

message 8: by Clare (new)

Clare (claggs31) | -1 comments Damaged (Maggie O'Dell, #8) by Alex Kava takes place in a hurricane

Ice by Linda Howard takes place in a ice storm

Deep Freeze (Northwest, #1) by Lisa Jackson takes place in a blizzard

message 9: by Nairabell (new)

Nairabell | 97 comments ☯Emily wrote: "Nairabell wrote: "Doesn't Sugar Cookie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #6) by Joanne Fluke take place during a snow storm?"

One of Fluke's books do, but I couldn't remember which one."

Lol that's what I was thinking and I was trying to remember anything else about the book to narrow it down. I'm pretty sure it's Sugar Cookie but I don't want to say 100%.

message 10: by Nell (last edited Oct 31, 2012 05:02PM) (new)

Nell | 1042 comments And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie is a classic mystery with the occupants stranded on an island because of a storm. One of Katherine Hall Page's novels is a modern retelling - The Body in the Ivy.
In Death at Wentwater Court and Mistletoe and Murder by Carola Dunn - the characters are snowbound.
And Storm Track by Margaret Maron it set before and during a hurricane in NC.

message 11: by Kate (new)

Kate (Kate28) | 141 comments Thanks everyone, this is a great list! Keep them coming! I just remembered Death of the Party (Death on Demand, #16) by Carolyn Hart takes place during a storm that leaves everyone stranded on an island. And yes, Sugar Cookie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #6) by Joanne Fluke does involve a big snow storm!

message 12: by Heather L, Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

message 13: by Nairabell (new)

Nairabell | 97 comments Get A Clue by Jill Shalvis - not a cozy, more romantic suspense but it involves a blizzard

message 14: by Sandra J (last edited Nov 01, 2012 05:04AM) (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 315 comments Murder on a Mystery Tour by Marian Babson takes place in an English country inn during a blizzard. It's actually a stand alone-a very rare thing.

message 15: by Heather L, Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Heather L (WordTrix) | 8729 comments Mod
Adding Murder With Puffins by Donna Andrews to the list -- opens during a hurricane.

message 16: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (MelodieCO) | 5221 comments Susan Wittig Albert's new one, Widow's Tears by Susan Wittig Albert, fits this. The story has changing POV, and part of the story takes place during the 1900 Galveston hurricane. It's very good, too!

message 17: by Karen (new)

Karen Melodie wrote: "Susan Wittig Albert's new one, Widow's Tears by Susan Wittig Albert, fits this. The story has changing POV, and part of the story takes place during the 1900 Galveston hurricane. It's very good, too!"
I had an amazing books called acts Of God and though I am deviating from fiction; it was so interesting covering natural disasters in the U. S. The Texas hurricane mentioned was in there as the biggest loss of life. It was fun to read like fiction is. I am going to put this book on the want to read.

message 18: by Melodie (last edited Apr 10, 2013 03:22PM) (new)

Melodie (MelodieCO) | 5221 comments Karen wrote: "Melodie wrote: "Susan Wittig Albert's new one, Widow's Tears by Susan Wittig Albert, fits this. The story has changing POV, and part of the story takes place during the 1900 Galveston hurricane. It..."

I saw a show on the Weather Channel a couple of years ago about that Galveston hurricane. The estimate on loss of life was between 8,000 and 12,000. They could never come up with a true number because so many were washed out to sea. Very tragic. Albert's book really piqued my interest so I'm going to check to see what Amazon has available on the topic.

message 19: by Karen (new)

Karen Melodie wrote: "Karen wrote: "Melodie wrote: "Susan Wittig Albert's new one, Widow's Tears by Susan Wittig Albert, fits this. The story has changing POV, and part of the story takes place during the 1900 Galveston ..."

I would like shows like that. Maybe you tube has some. I do not have regular T.V out where I live.

message 20: by ☯Emily (new)

☯Emily  | 44030 comments I just visited Galveston. Some of the houses that survived have the 1900 high water mark on them. The only other high water mark that was close was Hurricane Ike that hit Galveston in 2008.

message 21: by Zoe (new)

Zoe (BookwormFromAthens) | 589 comments A Spirited Gift by Joyce Lavene should also be included, as the story takes place in the aftermath of a storm.

message 22: by Karen (new)

Karen Zoe wrote: "A Spirited Gift by Joyce Lavene should also be included, as the story takes place in the aftermath of a storm."

cool

message 23: by Karen (new)

Karen ☯Emily wrote: "I just visited Galveston. Some of the houses that survived have the 1900 high water mark on them. The only other high water mark that was close was Hurricane Ike that hit Galveston in 2008."

that would be interesting