Movies We've Just Watched discussion

Has anyone seen Atonement?

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emerson (new)

Emerson | 3 comments I tore through the book, and then was really pissed when I went on fandango and discovered that the movie is only on "limited release" at the moment. So it isn't playing in my area.

Anyone seen it, and have thoughts?

message 2: by Alexandra (last edited Jan 03, 2008 04:56PM) (new)

Alexandra Just saw it today, haven't read the book so I can't compare. Wasn't happy with the ending. Won't mention why for those that haven't read the book or seen the movie yet.

Can't say how it compares to the book, obviously, but I thought it was a good movie, well done (even though I left it ticked off for the end :D), I particularly liked the first part that took place at the family home.

message 3: by Ken (new)

Ken | 3 comments Yes. Read the book last year and saw the movie this week. If you're familiar with Ian McEwan's work he tends to explore complex subject matter through very accessible story-telling. Check out "Saturday." Anyway, I'm rambling, but my point is that I thought the movie does the book justice. It leaves you thinking long after you leave the theater..as any good art should do. By playing with time it allows you to see multiple perspectives on the same incident. There is a war scene shot at the beach which is simply astounding. I'd only recommend this one for the serious movie goer. I ran into a guy after the film and he asked me what I thought. I told him I loved it. He told me it was 2 hours of his life he'd like to have back. You be the judge. I'd say if you liked the book you'll like the movie.

message 4: by Ken (new)

Ken | 3 comments How about Juno? Best movie I've seen in the past two weeks.

message 5: by Sharron (new)

Sharron | 11 comments I saw Atonement yesterday with my daughter and we both loved it. I haven't read the book so can't compare but would say it is a movie I would recommend. The cinematography was beautiful. The ending was slightly disappointing for me as well. I felt as though I was suddenly jarred out of the story and it changed the tone. I wished it could have been resolved in a different way. But overall an excellent movie. I also thought the beach war scene was incredible. It really brought you in, almost like you were following the characters, so you could feel what it might have been like.

I saw Juno last weekend and absolutely loved it. One of my favorites of '07.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm almost done reading the book, and then I'll be seeing the movie this weekend..

message 7: by Arctic (new)

Arctic the Rory Gilmore Book Group here on goodreads is reading Atonement this month if any one is interested in reading along. :)

message 8: by Erica (new)

Erica Poole | 19 comments I saw this yesterday, haven't read Ian's work, so can't compare, but it was really a well done and powerful movie. I love James McAvoy, such a good actor, and who would have thought quite as hot as he was in this after seeing him as a goat mix in Narnia! It was great. Quite the tear jerker of course. I hate that feeling in your throat that you get when you are trying not to sob like a baby in a room full of strangers! Argh.

message 9: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 362 comments I saw Atonement yesterday. I tried reading the book a few years ago and only got through 1/2 of it. I just couldn't connect. I thought the movie was extremely well done. The ending left me mad. The sister made me the maddest. I thought the movie was everything a good movie should be -- cinematogrophy, good character development, excellent acting and stirs feelings in you that are long lasting. What more can you ask for?

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) I just got back from seeing it, and I finished the book yesterday. You can look at the review on my profile to see what I thought of the book, but I loved the movie. James McAvoy was amazing. I thought it was beautifully shot. I thought the film accomplished everything the novel set out to do but did it better.

message 11: by K (new)

K | 39 comments I saw the film today, and thought it was really wonderful.

I haven't read the book but really loved the ending of the film.

message 12: by Audreedee (new)

Audreedee I saw it and it's amazing. Beautifully shot and very well acted. I usually am not a huge Keira Knightley fan but I found her character engaging and sympathetic. I haven't read the book so I'm unable to compare but I would recommend the film to anybody. Bring a box of tissues though!:)

message 13: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) The film is very very faithful to the book. Even little details that don't really mean anything to the story are kept in (like the type of flowers on Cecelia's table).

message 14: by Anna (new)

Anna (olive415) I just saw this yesterday, and I loved it. I thought it was so beautiful.

I haven't read the book, but I'm going to look for it next time I'm at the library.

message 15: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Just a warning, a lot of people find it hard to get through the book. McEwan's writing is very tedious. The whole first part (leading up to Briony's "crime" is very, very long.

message 16: by Anna (new)

Anna (olive415) Thanks for the heads up Sarah.

message 17: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 3 comments I thought it was beautiful and faithful to the book. Strangely, I liked the ending in the movie better than in the book, though they are the same ending. I think the writing in the book is beautiful, but, somehow, not as emotional for me as watching it portrayed in film - which is the opposite of how it usually goes with adaptations.

message 18: by Angie (new)

Angie I finally saw this movie. I liked it, and enjoyed the ending. I like how she made it her own ending. That was neat. I didn't know anything about the book so I was surprised it was based around a crime. So the story was better than I thought.