Book Buying Addicts Anonymous discussion

what do you want from your fiction?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by pop (last edited Dec 28, 2007 09:13AM) (new)

pop Just exactly what do you want from your fiction? Do you like it better when the author gives you every minute detail, whether it moves the story along or not, or do you like it faster paced without a lot of scenery descriptions when they aren't integral to the story?

message 2: by Meirav (new)

Meirav Rath | 13 comments What I look for, mainly, is balance and logic. I want characters to be convincing, three dimentional and well explained. I want plot twists and reasons for how things came to be detailed.

I don't mind too many descriptions, on the contrary; I'm a very visual reader and I prefer it more to have physical aspects like characters' clothes, home designs and views very helpful to attatch me to the story.

If I'm reading a historicalnovel on an era I know about, I want to see that the author knew enough, too.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree with Meirav. Balance, logic, historical accuracy (when the author decided to use a certain historical setting) is important.
I really can't say whether more or less detail is better. Sometimes more is good, sometimes the other way around.

message 4: by Stewart (last edited Dec 29, 2007 08:51AM) (new)

Stewart (booklit) | 2 comments Strong writing. What more is there to want?

message 5: by Elizabeth (last edited Dec 29, 2007 07:39PM) (new)

Elizabeth I want a good story, well written with a balance between detail and action. I want to be able to pick up a book and then 4 hours later wonder where the time went. I want to BELIEVE the story.

message 6: by Bliss (new)

Bliss (blissreads) | 16 comments I like great prose. Everything else is up for grabs depending on my mood.

message 7: by Sally (new)

Sally The writing must be exceptional so I am not tripping over poor grammar or wording. I desire to be lost in the book, living the story as if it were real. I suppose that is why fantasy and sci-fi don't appeal to me. I can't 'believe' it.

I also enjoy a story with good vocabulary and flow. Bravo to the writer who cares more for excellent writing than just being published.

message 8: by pop (new)

pop So, some people want literary masterpieces, others just like a good yarn?

message 9: by Fenixbird (new)

Fenixbird SandS | 56 comments I want to be taken to far away places...like the lead character Kate Brown in Doris Lessing's "The Summer Before Dark." She (the character) is an interpreter...but has been a housewife all these years.....

J. R. R. Tolkein had the right idea....weave a tale from normalcy....into fantasy....and for mysteries, oh my Gosh!! Robert Ludlum!!