What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Light a Single Candle (Cathy Wheeler, #1)
This topic is about Light a Single Candle
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. teenage girl loses eyesight [s]

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Teri (new)

Teri G (teri_g) | 7 comments Trying to find a novel I read in the early 1970s about a teenage girl, same time period, who loses her eyesight and has to adapt to her new situation. I believe she is sent off to a school for the blind for awhile, possibly she eventually gets a guide dog. It seems to me that the title has the word "candle," "light" and/or "darkness" in it. Any ideas?

message 2: by Laura (last edited Dec 28, 2007 12:34PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Laura (laurahogan) | 72 comments You're thinking of Light a Single Candle --Cathy, the protagonist, loses her sight to glaucoma, and does indeed go to a school for the blind, which she hates and leaves. She then gets a guide dog named Trudy, who helps her go back to regular high school.

Don't recall the name of the author, and there was a sequel but I don't recall the name of that either. I probably will at around 2 AM or so.

Lisa  (not getting friends updates) Vegan (lisavegan) | 1382 comments One of the reviewers on Amazon for Light a Single Candle said the sequel is called Gift Of Gold.

message 5: by Teri (new)

Teri G (teri_g) | 7 comments Thank you -- that's it!

message 6: by Laura (last edited Dec 29, 2007 09:08AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Laura (laurahogan) | 72 comments My pleasure. I read that book around four times when I was a kid, so it was one of my favorites.